2020 moonroof “gurgling” sound when driving in rain | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 moonroof “gurgling” sound when driving in rain

2b1ask1

Reaction score
City, State
Anderson, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
We purchased our CPO 2020 Explorer platinum from a dealer about 3 weeks ago. There is about 3000 miles remaining on the factory warranty. The dealer drove it to our house (~300 miles). The day after, I took it to our local dealer to investigate a few things that were obvious (and should have been caught and/or disclosed by the selling dealer). Come to find out the moonroof drain had been clogged (likely at the factory based upon the location of the kink in the line) likely since the build. They literally had the entire back end of the vehicle taken apart and the headliner removed. They had the vehicle for two weeks, and Ford is refusing to replace the sound deadening material that has molded through entirely. Thankfully, the dealer has agreed to cover the costs for our local dealer to repair/replace completely.

So...this is really the first week I have driven the vehicle. We went through a torrential rainstorm and then through another smaller shower. While there are no apparent signs that there are drain problems any longer, there was a loud “gurgling” sound coming from the moonroof area; kind of like the sound when you’re slurping that last bit of drink from a cup through a straw. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this normal? I’m so concerned now about anything water related since when we get back home I will have only ~1000 miles remaining in on factory warranty and no extensions cover “leaks”, not even ESP Platium/Premium coverage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
That sound is definitely not normal. I wonder if the moonroof wasn't fully closed/sealed. Have you checked the seal around the moonroof?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
That sound is definitely not normal. I wonder if the moonroof wasn't fully closed/sealed. Have you checked the seal around the moonroof?

Peter
The roof was fully closed. We were driving around 55-65 mph and there was no signs of water inside anywhere. When pulling off on an exit, we continued to hear the sound for a short period. It only started up again after we began getting above around 45 mph.

The roof was fully closed. We were driving around 55-65 mph and there was no signs of water inside anywhere. When pulling off on an exit, we continued to hear the sound for a short period. It only started up again after we began getting above around 45 mph.
We have the same issue...dealer could diagnose...any luck?

Back