2020 Official Colorado Color Run | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Official Colorado Color Run

Steering rack blew.
Front diff locker won't disconnect.

Diff got so hot, it boiled over, then super heated the rack, and blew the seals when it boiled over.

Rig is at a local shop on a rack right now. Going to attempt to install a 5.0 rack tonight, but it might not work for replacing the 4.0 rack.

Needs a new pump as it is full of metal now. Have to Denver for it on Monday.
DO NOT LIKE!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LoL well don't contribute too much... I haven't left yet! Hehe

Went ahead and had the 5.0 rack installed, as that was the only rack we could get before Monday in Denver.

It fits, and will work.

Locker is engaged tho. Took the front drive shaft out and will leave it off for hwy miles. Cad helps a little with pass side but the dr side will be turning the internals. Will just take it slow, and hopefully make it by tomorrow night or Monday .

20200822_203312.jpg

Just gonna add make sure the alignment is dead on. Seriously believe a constant pull to one direction would cause the pump to be working overtime.

Toe and camber are fine. Took of the camburg inners and outers off in one PC with no movement.

So we just finished the install and bled it, but.....

The pump is shot. Won't pump fluids and wheel is stiff like engine off.

Looks like we have to go to Denver, on Monday as the only car rental place is closed tomorrow. Pump is at the warehouse distro hub, if we wait for it to be shipped, they say Tuesday delivery.

crap/ I was being all quiet trying not to jinx this trip but it still happened.

Thanks a lot. Now I'm scared to leave the house tomorrow morning 😆

Well I'm getting a late start. Left the house and something didn't feel right. Got about a mile and pulled into a convenience store to check. The trailer brakes were smoking. SO turned around and went home. Didn't know what to do but being a computer guy I thought "reset". I pulled the plug out if the truck and swear I heard the brakes on the camper release. Plugged it in again and pumped them a few times and again pulled the plug. Heard nothing. SO I'll give the brakes time to cool and try again... Fingers crossed. 🤞

Turns out the Explorer has a bad brake controller. Probably an easy fix but one I don't want to tackle right now. The good news (kinda) is the Expedition has a great brake controller so I'll be there anyway. Though I may have to catch a ride on the trails.

Well shoot. Sorry to hear that Mike. If we ever make it, I will have a back seat space open.

Speaking of that , any body know anyone in either Denver or the springs area, that wouldn't mind picking up a napa steering pump, (available in both) and meeting us today?

PM me if you do, or think of anyone.

No uhaul, or such, open on Sunday's here.

So far we have tried o'Reilly and napa. Nothing in the entire state of ks with those two.

I'm currently looking at advanced auto, and autozone. Either way, were screwed until Monday to rent a vehicle. :(

sure you break down in Denver AFTER I move to Idaho....sheesh. I have steering racks, trailer, shop, etc........
I am SO GLAD TO LOG IN here this AM and see you are going to make it! Seriously I was even losing sleep thinking about how bad it sucks to not make this trip for you and your son, so thank goodness!!!!
Hang in there folks, some of us are living vicariously through you

<-------------------internet wheeler

Found a 96 5.0 pump in garden city, about 90 miles away at autozone.

Has a diff part number than the 98, so hopefully that's just a model thing.

The shops owner lent us a beater car to go get the part, and currently on the way.

Hoping this works out!

wait wait wait a shop owner in Colorado that is cool?????????? HA! Never happen!

(kidding of course, its a big place)

Oh my gosh man!! I haven’t gotten on here since Friday morning so I haven’t seen any of the posts. I hope everyone especially Gman can get things fixed and figured out. We are here at the KOA space 93. If anyone comes in tonight feel free to come by and say hi. I can make breakfast in the morning if interested then we can head out to Yankee Boy.
Traveler I don’t have a back seat so unfortunately you won’t be able to ride with us. Looking forward to meeting everyone and having some fun this week.

I have a back seat if you want the shame of resorting to a Toyota 😁

Hope everyone makes it out there. We're on our way but staying the night in Grand Junction tonight (cheap hotels) and heading to Ouray tomorrow morning

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I've made it. All leveled, supported, hooked up and plugged in. Got the beer on ice and things are looking good. Just gotta fix dinner, I'm starving!

...We are here at the KOA space 93. If anyone comes in tonight feel free to come by and say hi. I can make breakfast in the morning if interested then we can head out to Yankee Boy.
Traveler I don’t have a back seat so unfortunately you won’t be able to ride with us. Looking forward to meeting everyone and having some fun this week.

We'll see about a back seat. I'm thinking of temporarily removing the running boàrds and trying it in the Expedition. Those of you who have done these trails let me know what you think.
Theoffroadexplorer, I'm in 58B 😁

Back