• Register Today It's free!

2020 Paint Issues

bjarnold1

Reaction score
City, State
Nampa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
I have a 2020 Explorer built 10/19 in Star White and have noticed three dirt nibs that was painted over at the factory. They are about the size of a pin. Two are under the base coat and one is under just the clear coat. Is it worth bringing to to the dealers attention or are minor paint defects common?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Be careful what you ask for BJ...the repair might look more obvious than the pin size nibs. I'll trade my rattles for your nibs.

I'd leave it

Things like this only matter until you get your first door ding or brush scratch by some fool in a parking lot. Or stone chip.

Now, a buddy of mine has a new Ranger. After two months he just noticed that the front door insert trim is black on the drivers side and tan on the passenger side. Ford's at a loss. The dealer's at a loss. He didn't notice it for two months but now he can't unsee it. He's waiting to see if Ford will make it right. They're insisting it must have been swapped out after it left the factory.

You can have it documented and approved for warranty repair. I did the same thing on our 2013 sport. The dealership didn't want to do it since it was one door with trash in the paint and they didn't feel confident it would look better because they didn't have the best paint booths. However say you need to get a repair on something else near it then you could get Ford to pay for the repairs of their defects which may cover the clear coat painting of the other repair you want fixed next to it and save you some money in the future. Or like said say some jerk scratches your paint up near the defects then you could get that fixed on Fords dime possibly.

My Platinum in Star White had some defects in the front bumper, which looked like the factory tried to buff something out, but didn't get it all. After taking it back to my dealer, the GM set me up with their body shop, who repainted the whole bumper. I was without the Explorer for 2 days only. Now, it all looks perfect. As a side benefit, they repaired a very small stone chip, the size of one of the letter o's here, if that big. It was somewhat pronounced though, in its location. I'm very happy with the vehicle and the repairs.

samercer
1997 Explorer XLT (traded-in)
2020 Explorer Platinum

Right after I made this post my mother in law was visiting and she leaned on the rear passenger door and her ring put a nice indentation in the metal. Had the paintless dent guy at the dealer look at it and where it's located the only way to gain access he said was to drill a hole in the door jamb. The body shop looked at it and said they would have to sand, fill and blend the paint with the front door.
ding.jpg

Right after I made this post my mother in law was visiting and she leaned on the rear passenger door and her ring put a nice indentation in the metal. Had the paintless dent guy at the dealer look at it and where it's located the only way to gain access he said was to drill a hole in the door jamb. The body shop looked at it and said they would have to sand, fill and blend the paint with the front door.View attachment 176405

I had a PDR done on my truck from a local guy in his garage. He used what seemed like a glue gun where he put a small dot on each dent and put this little suction cup (had all kinds of sizes) with a handle on top of the small dot. Took about 10 seconds or so to dry and pulled/popped it off each dent. This basically pulled each dent out instead of rolling it out from the inside.

He preferred this method because you are reversing it's natural state so they popped out quite easily. There was a couple that he had to do a couple times. Everything came out 100%.

May want to look into other PDR people in your area.

I've called several PDR guys in my area (Boise) and they all use the old method of prying the dents out from the inside

Things like this only matter until you get your first door ding or brush scratch by some fool in a parking lot. Or stone chip.

Now, a buddy of mine has a new Ranger. After two months he just noticed that the front door insert trim is black on the drivers side and tan on the passenger side. Ford's at a loss. The dealer's at a loss. He didn't notice it for two months but now he can't unsee it. He's waiting to see if Ford will make it right. They're insisting it must have been swapped out after it left the factory.

In 1977 I bought a Chevy Blazer, K5 the full size Blazer. It was white with tan interior, except the rear seats were blue! It was ordered and that's how it was delivered to the dealer. The dealer called me and said come look at your new Blazer, do you see anything odd? Nobody seemed to know how that got out of the factory, but I drove it like that for over a month while we waited on a new rear seat. Seems like a lot of things get by the factory inspectors.

I have a 2020 Explorer built 10/19 in Star White and have noticed three dirt nibs that was painted over at the factory. They are about the size of a pin. Two are under the base coat and one is under just the clear coat. Is it worth bringing to to the dealers attention or are minor paint defects common?

I have one on the roof of my ST, on the driver's side right before the sunroof starts. I didn't notice it until day 2 when I was sealing the paint. I didn't mention it, and never notice it (unless I'm sealing/waxing).

I did, however, notice a crease in the left passenger door (toward the bottom, where the panel begins to contour down) when I brought my car home. I did contact the dealer about that and they had their paintless dent removal person fix it.

I found this paint defect on the pillar behind the doors, in-between the front and rear doors when I washed the car for the first time. You only see it if you open both doors. Looks like the paint gun tip slide down wet paint or something similar. I have a repair order started, we will see what ford says

IMG_0662 2.jpg

I noticed this paint "blob" on my new Ex last night, when I got it home from the dealer and into the garage. Not sure if I should have them repair it, or just leave it. I feels like a solid blob and not a bubble. I also realized my front passenger directional isn't working. :mad:

20191229_112719.jpg

I noticed this paint "blob" on my new Ex last night, when I got it home from the dealer and into the garage. Not sure if I should have them repair it, or just leave it. I feels like a solid blob and not a bubble. I also realized my front passenger directional isn't working. :mad:

View attachment 176771

If it were me, I definitely would not leave that.

I would turn around and demand a replacement. No body shop can exactly match the factory paint or clear coat finish.
I've had a couple of minor repairs done on previous vehicles that required painting and the matches were perfect to the OEM.

Peter

The number of spray passes, or the film thickness, of the tinted clearcoat is critical for the effect, brightness and brilliance of the final colour. I doubt the paint and body shop your dealership uses would be able to mimic the same as the factory robots at Ford. It's your vehicle you make the decision ... if you do have it painted and Blended please post pics I would like to see if the tented CC matches the same as that used at the factory.

Good luck at whatever decision you make.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Paint from factory is far from perfect. It is not uncommon for factory cars to have orange peal and defects. This is from many body shops complaining they couldn't match factory work. Now if you have a good body shop do work it doesn't match factory because the repair looks better. That is what happened with my brother's truck when someone hit the side of it. The repairs hade better body alignment and paint than the factory side.

The vast majority of factory works are not skilled body or repair technicians. They are robot operators/they push buttons and move things around. Also, living in a city that has two auto factories the majority of them do not care about the product they are making so don't expect them to identify problems.

Back