• Register Today It's free!

2020 Platinum Headlights

Ima DingBat

Reaction score
City, State
ChocolateTown - USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
The latest specs from Ford seem to suggest that the 2020 Platinum will have halogen high-beam headlights. I presently have a 2018 Platinum which has LED high-beam headlights and they work just great, both with color temperature and the penumbra of the beam (height and width). If Ford is going "back" to halogen high-beams, can someone enlighten (slight pun intended) me as to why this might be happening?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure what "specs" you are referring to but all 2020 Explorers have LED low and high beams. The Platinum also has 'Adaptive' headlights.

Peter

OK. I couldn't imagine why Ford would ever want to go backwards on the headlight hardware. Can you (or someone else) kindly explain what "adaptive" headlights actually means and how it works? Thanks.

Adaptive headlights usually follow the steering into a curve so you can better see the road. I believe that Lincoln has upgraded that to turn ON or OFF multiple LEDs depending on your speed and oncoming traffic. I don't think that applies to the Explorer at this time.
How Adaptive Headlights Work

Peter

OK. Thanks for the explanation. Years ago I had an Eldorado that had front side-lights that illuminated when you turned a corner, but if I remember correctly, they were activated by the use of the turn signal (while the headlights were turned on), instead of the curvature of the steering. I suppose the big difference in all of that is a turn-sensing element in the electrically-assisted steering box utilized in Ford Explorers these days.

I was racking my brain about where I saw a reference from Ford regarding 2020 Platinum high beam headlights being of the halogen type. Finally I found the source. It's Ford BUILD & PRICE feature on the 2020 Explorer web site. When you select the Platinum model, and look under standard features, and the under headlights, here's what you find: "Headlamps – Autolamp Auto On/Off, LED Low Beams, Halogen Reflector High Beams." Perhaps this is some sort of a mistype by the Ford folks, or perhaps I'm not understanding the use of the word "halogen" in this context, but it sure looks like a step backward from the great performing LED high-beam headlights on my present 2018 Platinum model. Again, I hope someone can "spread some light" on all of this (pun intended). Thanks. Ima

I was racking my brain about where I saw a reference from Ford regarding 2020 Platinum high beam headlights being of the halogen type. Finally I found the source. It's Ford BUILD & PRICE feature on the 2020 Explorer web site. When you select the Platinum model, and look under standard features, and the under headlights, here's what you find: "Headlamps – Autolamp Auto On/Off, LED Low Beams, Halogen Reflector High Beams." Perhaps this is some sort of a mistype by the Ford folks, or perhaps I'm not understanding the use of the word "halogen" in this context, but it sure looks like a step backward from the great performing LED high-beam headlights on my present 2018 Platinum model. Again, I hope someone can "spread some light" on all of this (pun intended). Thanks. Ima

Website means nothing unfortunately. The order guide is the bible over the website.

The latest specs from Ford seem to suggest that the 2020 Platinum will have halogen high-beam headlights. I presently have a 2018 Platinum which has LED high-beam headlights and they work just great, both with color temperature and the penumbra of the beam (height and width). If Ford is going "back" to halogen high-beams, can someone enlighten (slight pun intended) me as to why this might be happening?

Actually, all 2016 - 2019 Explorers have standard LED Low-beam headlights, and Halogen High-beam headlights. This applies to all trim levels, including Platinum. If you have LED High-beam headlights on your Platinum, it is because aftermarket LED bulbs have been installed. :)

Actually, all 2016 - 2019 Explorers have standard LED Low-beam headlights, and Halogen High-beam headlights. This applies to all trim levels, including Platinum. If you have LED High-beam headlights on your Platinum, it is because aftermarket LED bulbs have been installed. :)
According to the Order Guide, the 2018 Platinum has LED headlamps. They are not shown as LED low and Halogen high as for the other trims. The same statement is not in the 2019 Order Guide but I'm guessing it would be a carry-over feature.

Peter

While I certainly appreciate your reply, I must tell you that you are incorrect with regard to LED high-beam headlights for the 2018 Explorer Platinum. In the 2018 model year, the Platinum model was the ONLY version that came standard with LED high-beam headlights. It was not even an option on any other model. As I understand it, Ford was kinda testing that feature on the highest trim level Explorer in 2018. As it turned out, it worked wonderfully, and it was supposed to be standard on Platinums going forward. Hope that helps.

While I certainly appreciate your reply, I must tell you that you are incorrect with regard to LED high-beam headlights for the 2018 Explorer Platinum. In the 2018 model year, the Platinum model was the ONLY version that came standard with LED high-beam headlights. It was not even an option on any other model. As I understand it, Ford was kinda testing that feature on the highest trim level Explorer in 2018. As it turned out, it worked wonderfully, and it was supposed to be standard on Platinums going forward. Hope that helps.

Actually... I am not incorrect. I am a Service Manager at a Ford Dealership so I have a little experience with these vehicles. I also own a 2017 Explorer Sport that I will be doing an LED High Beam (and other lighting) conversion soon, and have been doing research related to that - My point being that if the Platinum had different lights with OEM LED High Beams, I would have found a way to retrofit it to my Explorer. It doesn't, I have looked into it. The only different housings are on the P.I.Utility as it does not have the LED DRL that runs on the top and down the sides of our lights, and the Sport which has black inserts in the headlights where all others are chrome/silver.

I even took a walk out on to the lot to verify before responding to make sure. The pre-owned 2018 AND the new 2019 Platinum on our lot both have LED Low beam, and Halogen (non-LED) High beam headlights equipped.

Hope this helps.

Actually... I am not incorrect. I am a Service Manager at a Ford Dealership so I have a little experience with these vehicles. I also own a 2017 Explorer Sport that I will be doing an LED High Beam (and other lighting) conversion soon, and have been doing research related to that - My point being that if the Platinum had different lights with OEM LED High Beams, I would have found a way to retrofit it to my Explorer. It doesn't, I have looked into it. The only different housings are on the P.I.Utility as it does not have the LED DRL that runs on the top and down the sides of our lights, and the Sport which has black inserts in the headlights where all others are chrome/silver.

I even took a walk out on to the lot to verify before responding to make sure. The pre-owned 2018 AND the new 2019 Platinum on our lot both have LED Low beam, and Halogen (non-LED) High beam headlights equipped.

Hope this helps.

Its actually the PIUs and Base trims that have housings with no LED strips btw, known as "signature lighting".

I hope that the 2018 Order guide which I uploaded to this posting, Page 16, Top right of page, which is the 2018 Explorer Platinum Standard Equipment settles this issue. Under the heading of Safety/Security, you will see this: "Headlamps - LED High Beam." You will also note that no other 2018 model level has that listed as either Standard or Optional equipment. Enjoy the read. Ima

Attachments

• 2018 Explorer order guide.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 249

The 2018 Owner's Manual shows both Halogen and LED available for high beams.

Headlamp high beam (halogen).....9005LL..... 55
Headlamp high beam (LED)...........LED..........LED

Peter

So the question still remains - what precisely will be the high-beam equipment installed on the 2020 Platinum Explorer? I've asked my local dealer (and friend) to make an inquiry of his Ford reps on this issue, so we may have to wait to see what information they are willing to disgorge. Stay tuned. Ima

The 2018 Owner's Manual shows both Halogen and LED available for high beams.

Headlamp high beam (halogen).....9005LL..... 55
Headlamp high beam (LED)...........LED..........LED

Peter

Do you suppose that Canadian models had different standard high-beam equipment for the 2018 Explorer Platinum? I believe that Canada had mandatory daylight driving lights long before the US got around to that safety feature. Perhaps that might account for the disparity of OEM lighting features. Also, I also believe that the LED high-beam bulb requires a different physical socket than a halogen bulb?

DRL use in Canada began Dec.1,1989. The DRL on the 2016+ Explorer here is on the Low beam. I'm not sure about the difference in sockets but the reflectors might be different.

Peter

Our 2016 Platinum certainly came with halogen high beams that were promptly switched by me to LED.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the platinum i saw in person last week definitely has LED high beams. It was something i specifically checked because i hate my non-LED high beams on my 2016. But i did see that same note on the build and price so its a bit confusing.

In person and sat in 2020 Platinum today

Back