2020 Silver Spruce Platinum ordered | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Silver Spruce Platinum ordered

My 2020 Silver Spruce Platinum has made it to its final railroad junction, and it was off-loaded last night. Now we wait for a car-carrier truck to move my new Explorer to my Boston-area dealership for prep and delivery. Here's a summary of the seven-month ordeal. As you can see, once status flipped to "Awaiting Shipment" things moved right along:

09-Feb-2019: Order placed (Order No. X007)
20-Feb-2019: In Order Processing (Unscheduled Clean)
18-Apr-2019: VIN assigned (1FM5K8HC3LGA21316)
17-Jun-2019: Scheduled build (week of)
18-Jun-2019: Window sticker generated
25-Jun-2019: Production scheduled
28-Jun-2019: In Production
11-Jul-2019: In Production - Origin Received - (Vehi-ship LLC ) Ramp 06, Chicago Asy, IL
21-Jul-2019: In Production - Returned from Offsite; Ford Chicago Assembly, IL
07-Aug-2019: Recall issued to inspect manual park release cover (Recall 19C06)
24-Aug-2019: Status changed from In Production to Awaiting Shipment
26-Aug-2019: Status changed from Awaiting Shipment to In Transit (loaded on Railcar TTGX974088)
28-Aug-2019: Arrived at Riverdale, IL
29-Aug-2019: Arrived at Blue Island, IL
01-Sep-2019: Arrived at Gibson, IN
03-Sep-2019: Arrived at Gary, IN
04-Sep-2019: Arrived at Wallbridge, OH
05-Sep-2019: Arrived at Buffalo, NY
06-Sep-2019: Arrived at Selkirk, NY
07-Sep-2019: Unloaded at Spencer, MA (awaiting transport to dealership)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2020 Silver Spruce Platinum has made it to its final railroad junction, and it was off-loaded last night. Now we wait for a car-carrier truck to move my new Explorer to my Boston-area dealership for prep and delivery. Here's a summary of the seven-month ordeal. As you can see, once status flipped to "Awaiting Shipment" things moved right along:

11-Jul-2019: In Production - Origin Received - (Vehi-ship LLC ) Ramp 06, Chicago Asy, IL
26-Aug-2019: Status changed from Awaiting Shipment to In Transit (loaded on Railcar TTGX974088)
what website are you using to track?

what website are you using to track?

A local Chicago-area railroad moves new Explorers from Ford's Chicago Assembly Plant (CAP) to a railyard where a larger, long-haul railroad takes over transportation to the destination railyard. In my case, it was the Indiana Harbor Belt Railroad that moved my Explorer from CAP to Blue Island, Illinois. To track progress, I used this website:

Indiana Harbor Belt Railroad

When the railcar in which my Explorer was riding was transferred to the long-haul railroad (in my case it was CSX), I used CSX's Touch-Trace system to track progress daily from Illinois to Massachusetts. (If you need to know how to use the CSX Touch-Trace system, send me a PM.)

When my Explorer arrived in Massachusetts by rail, I switched to using the tracking utility available at United Road Services. This will enable me to determine when my Explorer will arrive at my dealership via car carrier. You have to create an account, then use your VIN to track progress. Start here:

Home - United Road

All this requires some effort, but it gave me something to do during the seven months I've waited for my Explorer to arrive.

A local Chicago-area railroad moves new Explorers from Ford's Chicago Assembly Plant (CAP) to a railyard where a larger, long-haul railroad takes over transportation to the destination railyard. In my case, it was the Indiana Harbor Belt Railroad that moved my Explorer from CAP to Blue Island, Illinois. To track progress, I used this website:

Indiana Harbor Belt Railroad

When the railcar in which my Explorer was riding was transferred to the long-haul railroad (in my case it was CSX), I used CSX's Touch-Trace system to track progress daily from Illinois to Massachusetts. (If you need to know how to use the CSX Touch-Trace system, send me a PM.)

When my Explorer arrived in Massachusetts by rail, I switched to using the tracking utility available at United Road Services. This will enable me to determine when my Explorer will arrive at my dealership via car carrier. You have to create an account, then use your VIN to track progress. Start here:

Home - United Road

All this requires some effort, but it gave me something to do during the seven months I've waited for my Explorer to arrive.
I keep checking United but no results. My hold up seems to be at the rail yard. Ive asked my salesman to reach out to them and check. Maybe next week something will show up. also checked with a couple of dealers they seem to have same issues . In Transit 7 weeks. Someone on the forum 1st in Last out.

Picked up my 2020 Platinum yesterday and plan to spend some time today removing the front license-plate holder, adjusting tire pressure, dialing-in settings, etc. I'll put it on the lift for a thorough look at the underside and will post some pics later today.

While I've driven it only a few miles, this 2020 seems noticeably peppier than either my 2016 or 2018 Platinums. And I'm impressed by the quality control -- couldn't find a flaw anywhere. I looked inside and out before leaving the dealership; however, I haven't yet checked to see if I have a tow hook in the spare-tire compartment. Gotta do that today.

FWIW, here's the final installment of my status summary since ordering this vehicle more then seven months ago:

10-Sep-2019: Loaded on car carrier
11-Sep-2019: Delivered to dealership
13-Sep-2019: Delivered to customer (me!)

Congrats! I have been very pleased with mine. The fit and finish is great and I have not found any issues (other than a plastic wire clip left loose in the liftgate panel that was tinkling around and dealer popped the panel and got it out). The control has to do some learning before shift points smooth out a little on a new one. I think the tow hook was one of those that didn't finish design before BOM release and it was not critical. My parts guy has no item available yet. Biggest thing I am struggling through and waiting on more info is the FORScan info to change some of the more nuisance items that previous gens have disabled. It appears that they (as expected) have big differences in the overall control logic and memory addresses. Enjoy and keep us informed!

Picked up my 2020 Platinum yesterday and plan to spend some time today removing the front license-plate holder, adjusting tire pressure, dialing-in settings, etc. I'll put it on the lift for a thorough look at the underside and will post some pics later today.

While I've driven it only a few miles, this 2020 seems noticeably peppier than either my 2016 or 2018 Platinums. And I'm impressed by the quality control -- couldn't find a flaw anywhere. I looked inside and out before leaving the dealership; however, I haven't yet checked to see if I have a tow hook in the spare-tire compartment. Gotta do that today.

FWIW, here's the final installment of my status summary since ordering this vehicle more then seven months ago:

10-Sep-2019: Loaded on car carrier
11-Sep-2019: Delivered to dealership
13-Sep-2019: Delivered to customer (me!)

Enjoy, looks like it has been a long wait, enjoy.

@Exit32 I'm new to the forum, but have been following your adventure. Just noticed that our VINs are quite similar: mine is 1FM5K8HC1LGA21315. My Explorer was produced sometime around 8/18, and has been "In Production" ever since. It should have been here by now, but hope to see it next month.

Welcome to the Forum ProudestMonkey.:wave:

Peter

@Exit32 I'm new to the forum, but have been following your adventure. Just noticed that our VINs are quite similar: mine is 1FM5K8HC1LGA21315. My Explorer was produced sometime around 8/18, and has been "In Production" ever since. It should have been here by now, but hope to see it next month.

Welcome to the forum, ProudestMonkey!

Yes, your VIN's 5-digit sequence number is exactly one less than my VIN. Believe me, I understand how frustrating it is to have your new Explorer "In Production" week after week after week after week, but I can tell you it's worth the wait.

My limited silver spruce has been in production since 07/10/2019 and I cannot find any movement. Last week my dealer re-ordered another one for stock this time, as he felt my original one may have been lost in the system. Is there another way to track my original one than using shop ford.com?

My limited silver spruce has been in production since 07/10/2019 and I cannot find any movement. Last week my dealer re-ordered another one for stock this time, as he felt my original one may have been lost in the system. Is there another way to track my original one than using shop ford.com?

There are alternate ways to track orders, and you can find a discussion here:

New Tracking Toy

That said, I think the best way to get up-to-date status is to ask your salesperson for a Vehicle Visibility Report. He or she should be able to email this to you upon request.

BTW, it's possible your original Limited was crushed due to an irreparable defect -- or it may have been stolen. Unlikely, but it happens and could be the reason your Explorer is "lost in the system."

There are alternate ways to track orders, and you can find a discussion here:

New Tracking Toy

That said, I think the best way to get up-to-date status is to ask your salesperson for a Vehicle Visibility Report. He or she should be able to email this to you upon request.

BTW, it's possible your original Limited was crushed due to an irreparable defect -- or it may have been stolen. Unlikely, but it happens and could be the reason your Explorer is "lost in the system."
Thanks

It's worth the wait, I promise. Love my silver spruce

Back