2020 Explorer Issues - 4WD Fault, Pre Collision Assist Not Available, Service Advance Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer Issues - 4WD Fault, Pre Collision Assist Not Available, Service Advance Trac

JBR5049

Reaction score
City, State
Syracuse, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
18 Exp Sport and 20 ST
So for the 5th time my 2020 ST has lit up like a Christmas tree when getting off of the highway. Warning lights come all at once: 4WD Fault Service Required, Service AdvanceTrac, Pre-Collision Assist Not Available, +Hill assist not available + Auto Hold Fault.

Warning lights immediately disappear when the car is restarted, and the car is not thrown into a limp mode when these issues come on.

I did some searching and the only experience I could find of something similar was on reddit and the car ended up getting lemoned without any specific root cause explained.

Going to call the dealer on Monday, but please reach out if you have had a similar experience or know someone that has!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So for the 5th time my 2020 ST has lit up like a Christmas tree when getting off of the highway. Warning lights come all at once: 4WD Fault Service Required, Service AdvanceTrac, Pre-Collision Assist Not Available, +Hill assist not available + Auto Hold Fault.

Warning lights immediately disappear when the car is restarted, and the car is not thrown into a limp mode when these issues come on.

I did some searching and the only experience I could find of something similar was on reddit and the car ended up getting lemoned without any specific root cause explained.

Going to call the dealer on Monday, but please reach out if you have had a similar experience or know someone that has!

Wow, good luck with that. Please keep us informed.

Wow, good luck with that. Please keep us informed.
Will do, some searching on this forum points to few different issues, so we will see what the dealer says.

It happened to me once a couple months ago and never again so far. There is this TSB which a member here had done and posted the document attached.

1617509392564blob.png

1617509408612blob.png

Called selling dealer as well as another local guy, both stated August is the earliest they can get me in to look at it. Slowly reaching out to more dealers further away.

Found a dealer able to take the car in on Tuesday. They’re getting me a loner through my premium care plan but said it’s going to be another 10$ per day. This seems odd since I’m under factory 3 year still.

New axel speed sensor ordered! Hbalek was right.

I'm having similar issues with the assist mode faults on my 2020 platinum. We get the 4WD, AdvanceTrack and Pre-Collision Assist and Hill start assist faults. Fortunately no other warning lights and ours drives normally otherwise. The dealer updated firmware in various modules, but that did nothing. Despite having the car for over 3 weeks still hasn't been able to fix it.

Was your dealer able to fix yours?

I'm having similar issues with the assist mode faults on my 2020 platinum. We get the 4WD, AdvanceTrack and Pre-Collision Assist and Hill start assist faults. Fortunately no other warning lights and ours drives normally otherwise. The dealer updated firmware in various modules, but that did nothing. Despite having the car for over 3 weeks still hasn't been able to fix it.

Yes It was a faulty sensor in the front end took about a day.

It's a sensor on the front axle. It begins showing faults when oil leaks into it. Here's a copy of my repair order.
8617 212270A: .8HR 212270A 8HR 212270A 0.80 CHECKED FDRS FOR CODES, C0633
PRESENT. FOUND TSB 21-2270 RELATED TO CUSTOMER COMPLAINT. REPLACED
HALFSHAFT SPEED SENSOR PER TSB INSTRUCTION.

I've had the exact same issues. I'm taking mine in again for the 2nd time and having them check the half shaft speed sensors.

I've had the exact same issues. I'm taking mine in again for the 2nd time and having them check the half shaft speed sensors.

Did they not replace anything the first time? My dealer found the tsb pretty quickly and had it sorted in a day or two.

I had the same issue on my 2020 Platinum with the problem starting in June 2021. My selling dealer finally found the issue, replaced the wheel speed sensor and I haven't had the problem since.

Yes my 2020 limited is doing the same thing off and on but the last 2 days been everytime I drive. Any new information on this ?

Yes my 2020 limited is doing the same thing off and on but the last 2 days been everytime I drive. Any new information on this ?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The member was last seen here on January 31, 2022. The answer you seek is in the posts above. Good luck.

Peter

I had the multiple errors but it went away the next day. I ordered a new front axle shaft speed sensor anyways. Sure enough, a month and a half later, now getting AWD error that does not go away. Forscan diagnostics has a code (C0633) for the front half shaft speed sensor. The speed sensor is not hard to remove and replace, taking about 45 min. You will need to remove the rectangular undercarriage cover. The speed sensor is on the passenger side. Once you remove the sensor, differential oil will start pouring out. If you don't want to go through the hassle of topping off the oil, I would plan on removing the old sensor and immediately plugging in the new one with minimal loss of oil. So to get the new sensor ready to install: remove the wiring connector and place on the new sensor--this will prevent the connector getting contaminated with oil. Lube the new sensor o-ring with the appropriate oil. Now you can remove and replace the speed sensor--be sure to keep the mating plate in the same spot and orientation.

ford_explorer_removal_and_installation_front_halfshaft_speed_sensor-515.html

I went to start our ST the other day and recieved the full array of errors. Turned out the battery was dead. Brought the battery back up with a charger and no more issues. What really upset me is that the car isn't smart enough to shut itself down when voltage reaches a certain point so it will just display just one message "Battery Discharged - Charge Battery". Besides all the warnings the exterior lighting was still trying to turn itself on and the system didn't like that at all. I could hear a relay chattering and the lights were strobing along with the relay. Honestly all that scared the hell out of me. I couldn't imagine what all was wrong with the car.

I went to start our ST the other day and recieved the full array of errors. Turned out the battery was dead. Brought the battery back up with a charger and no more issues. What really upset me is that the car isn't smart enough to shut itself down when voltage reaches a certain point so it will just display just one message "Battery Discharged - Charge Battery". Besides all the warnings the exterior lighting was still trying to turn itself on and the system didn't like that at all. I could hear a relay chattering and the lights were strobing along with the relay. Honestly all that scared the hell out of me. I couldn't imagine what all was wrong with the car.
The car IS smart enough. It should go into deep sleep mode well before there is a risk of dead battery or insufficient power to start. There is definitely something wrong with your car--unless you left it undriven for a couple weeks or more. I'd say there is something wrong with your battery or you have a power drain somewhere. There is a TSB that applies to early MY2020 that involved firmware updates to a number of modules due to power drain and frequent deep sleep.

I had the same issue. Mine is going into the shop for the 5th time since October. Transmission has been replaced and this car has 23,x.. miles! none of the 8 Ford dealerships can get me in for a month. IMO that alone should speak for the issues Ford has. This is my first Ford in 23 years. I will never purchase another. This has been a nightmare. I have an attorney at this point.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the exact same thing happen. I researched it before taking it back to the service department and told them the issue per my research. That was the fix. Sensor. This model has had so many issues and caused so many headaches, stress, you name it for a lot of people. This model has had 13 recalls and a bulletin. Ford should take responsibility and be held accountable

Back