• Register Today It's free!

2020 ST Multiple Sync/Tech Issues

Jim Strmac

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Is there a Ford Sync beta program or a way to submit bugs/feature requests?

I received my 2020 Explorer ST this week. I’m seeing several technology bugs and just ridiculous interface decisions. Most of my issues deal with CarPlay but some are general. CarPlay on my 2018, albeit a smaller more traditional screen, worked much better.

1. Pressing the screen and navigating between menus gets stuck… you will press a button once and it won’t do any thing and then try it again and again and then if a few seconds you hear the multiple beeps for the number of times you pressed it.
  2. Apple CarPlay - on my 2018, there was a ForSync icon within CarPlay that would take you back to the ford regular interface without disconnecting the phone/carplay.
  3. Waze is full screen if you use the Ford Apps connection, but limited to the upper half using it within CarPlay
  4. Swiping through channels on Sirus is cumbersome. You swipe once up to scroll and waiting more than 2 seconds while you read the channels
  5. Presets for FM/AM/Sirus are the same and you are limited to 8 total.
  6. When reversing and the cameras come on 2 views are forced side by side into the upper half of the screen. The bottom have is not used. Why not put once the back camera on top and 360 view on the bottom?
  7. Volume buttons got stuck controlling the phone prompt volume instead of the music volume.
  8. Waze integration through ford apps requires usb cable, not wireless.
  9. CarPlay integration requires usb cable, not wireless.

We’ll start there. <sigh> :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I received my 2020 Explorer ST this week. I’m seeing several technology bugs and just ridiculous interface decisions. Most of my issues deal with CarPlay but some are general. CarPlay on my 2018, albeit a smaller more traditional screen, worked much better.

1. Pressing the screen and navigating between menus gets stuck… you will press a button once and it won’t do any thing and then try it again and again and then if a few seconds you hear the multiple beeps for the number of times you pressed it.
  2. Apple CarPlay - on my 2018, there was a ForSync icon within CarPlay that would take you back to the ford regular interface without disconnecting the phone/carplay.
  3. Waze is full screen if you use the Ford Apps connection, but limited to the upper half using it within CarPlay
  4. Swiping through channels on Sirus is cumbersome. You swipe once up to scroll and waiting more than 2 seconds while you read the channels
  6. When reversing and the cameras come on 2 views are forced side by side into the upper half of the screen. The bottom have is not used. Why not put once the back camera on top and 360 view on the bottom?
  7. Volume buttons got stuck controlling the phone prompt volume instead of the music volume.

1) mine did that for about a week when purchased and has been perfect since then. I was getting pretty frustrated with the lag/delay/response.

6) I agree

8 and 9) have read there is a fee for the wireless versions and Ford is not paying for it. There are only a couple manufactures that do this (bmw is one).

This may be something that member UofMEngineer would like to check into.

Peter

I touched the screen ( by accident) and got a full screen Waze. The attached file showed up on my phone. Not sure how or what it means. No full screen Waze since.

06BFBA88-9616-417E-B275-82E161CDBF33.png

Re: #1 and #4 I’m having the same issues with my ST. I find the technology to be very delayed in responding. One morning I turned car on and got two fault messages on the dash and send to my phone via the ford pass app. Not sure what triggered it. I had to turn car off and back on and it cleared it. Another day the hatch wouldn’t open no matter how I tried to open it (via keyfob, button on dash or pressing the button on hatch). The next day it finally opened. And my rain sensing wipers Don’t work. I’ve had car for three weeks. I’m not happy with the tech. glad I got the extended warranty.

It’s embarrassing but since you all are talking about it.
I’ve basically learned not to touch or make changes to my music selection for about a minute or two AFTER I’ve started the vehicle. If I try right off the bat, it will freeze or delay.

I’ve figured out, turn the ST on, backup, get to the stop sign out of my neighborhood and I should be good to go. If my daughter is in the car and she wants to change things up, she’s not as patient as I am. She wants instantaneous results - what does she think this vehicle is, a 2020 or something!?!
Oh yeah, it is.

I touched the screen ( by accident) and got a full screen Waze. The attached file showed up on my phone. Not sure how or what it means. No full screen Waze since.
View attachment 174429

This is the AppLink version of Waze. I believe this does allow full screen since it's not part of the windowed CarPlay/AndroidAuto solution. This is what I personally use as I'm not an CP fan for my use cases.

I’ve basically learned not to touch or make changes to my music selection for about a minute or two AFTER I’ve started the vehicle. If I try right off the bat, it will freeze or delay.

For these item, yeah the system takes maybe a 45s - 1 minute to fully boot everything, especially if you have Nav. The full boot isn't hidden by the splash screen. In that first ~minute, you'll probably notice delayed responses since it's under load. It's most noticeable if you jump in, start and go really quickly as the boot isn't being "hidden" then. If you're on the initial software (19101), you can hit the dealer for the latest (19200). There's another one coming that, I believe, will be a user update.

Don't know if anyone has this issue but when I access SiriusXM just after start up the preselect icons take over a minute or so to load and when selecting one the first thing that appears is the radio ID number. It eventually clears up and functions correctly after a couple of minutes. I'm bringing it in to begin the "fix" for the no HD radio problem tomorrow. I think I'll tell them to install (19200).

This is the AppLink version of Waze. I believe this does allow full screen since it's not part of the windowed CarPlay/AndroidAuto solution. This is what I personally use as I'm not an CP fan for my use cases.

Yes, applink version is full screen and a good version. I'd like to use that and be able to flip back to the carplay stuff when needed. Any idea why the Ford sync icon in carplay was removed? Pressing that took you back to the Sync Display while letting carplay stay connected and you could flip back and forth.

Also, can you address why there are builds like 19200 that are only dealer installs?

Any idea why the Ford sync icon in carplay was removed?

No idea. Could be an Apple thing since they own that UI.

Also, can you address why there are builds like 19200 that are only dealer installs?

Really depends. Some are meant for service to address an issue/s a customer comes in for specifically. Some (going back to 2.x) were region specific. Usually there's a customer level release that becomes available in the not so distant future.

Yes, applink version is full screen and a good version. I'd like to use that and be able to flip back to the carplay stuff when needed. Any idea why the Ford sync icon in carplay was removed? Pressing that took you back to the Sync Display while letting carplay stay connected and you could flip back and forth.

Worked when i turned off CarPlay

#7,, I've had this happen twice

2273D9FD-2CAA-4F7E-91EB-A007BCB4D140.jpeg
#2 - I have a Fordsync app on CarPlay that I use to toggle back to the Ford radio/interface without unplugging the phone. I have the smaller display screen so I wonder if that’s the difference?

Tried Waze in full screen. Although it's full screen it drives me crazy that it's a lower resolution. Like watching a DVD when you are used to 1080 HD. There's also no easy way to get back to go back and forth between carplay and Sync so I'll just keep carplay.

#5, I only recently noticed you can mix sources in the presets. I kinda like it. But I have 12, 2 screens of 6, not 8, and somewhere there was a setting to increase the number of preset screens so you could have more, in increments of 6.

For these item, yeah the system takes maybe a 45s - 1 minute to fully boot everything, especially if you have Nav. The full boot isn't hidden by the splash screen. In that first ~minute, you'll probably notice delayed responses since it's under load. It's most noticeable if you jump in, start and go really quickly as the boot isn't being "hidden" then. If you're on the initial software (19101), you can hit the dealer for the latest (19200). There's another one coming that, I believe, will be a user update.

So what you are saying is it is not the new faster hardware required for sync 4????

I've started to notice the Sirius preset station buttons freeze up. Even swipping different screens the buttons didn't match the station, like it was stuck on one page but showing the other.

Also, I've tried several times to get the full screen Waze app and could never figure it out. I have the 10 inch screen. The only way it works is if I use Android auto and it only appears on the upper half of the screen. If I turn off Android auto and search apps on my phone, Waze won't show up.

#5, I only recently noticed you can mix sources in the presets. I kinda like it. But I have 12, 2 screens of 6, not 8, and somewhere there was a setting to increase the number of preset screens so you could have more, in increments of 6.

this is true, you can go into settings and add up to 5 screens of 6 presets.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2020 LTD and the CarPlay don’t show up after a couple of days when I plug my iPhone in. I have to disconnect the battery and connect it back before the CarPlay shown on 8 inch display again and so on

Back