2020 ST steering wheel controls and turn signals intermittently inoperative | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 ST steering wheel controls and turn signals intermittently inoperative

Glenn Beadles

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I have had my 2020 Explorer ST (lease) for less than 2 weeks. Vehicle was a dealer demo with 1,200 miles on it. It is back at dealer for turning signals, steering wheel controls that quit working intermittently then come back on. Whatever is happening makes the instrument cluster display 'think' that forward collision is turned off and the speedometer moves from left of display to center. This happens while the forward collision driver assist (and other driver assists) still shows activated in settings screen.

I am really curious about why this issue never came up while the dealer was using the car as a demo.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or something similar? If so, what was the fix.

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They might have had the problem, but did nothing about it since it was a demo Explorer.

@Glenn Beadles

Just an suggestion - :)

1,200 Miles on a "Dealer Demo" , combined with the very obvious electrical problems you listed, on a very high end vehicle, right off the bat, would be a cause of concern for me...

For my security, if I were in your shoes, I'd immediately drop $24.99 on Auto Check as well as $39.99 on a Car Fax report (in that order if $$$ is tight).

Your mileage may vary & HTH!

@Glenn Beadles

Just an suggestion - :)

1,200 Miles on a "Dealer Demo" , combined with the very obvious electrical problems you listed, on a very high end vehicle, right off the bat, would be a cause of concern for me...

For my security, if I were in your shoes, I'd immediately drop $24.99 on Auto Check as well as $39.99 on a Car Fax report (in that order if $$$ is tight).

Your mileage may vary & HTH!
Thanks for the post. I did a carfax report before I leased the vehicle. The report showed clean & vehicle being new dealer inventory. Cannot say that is conclusive but about all I could do as a precaution.

Last edited by a moderator:

(On a side note) Just an FYI if a dealership is offering a car with that kinda mileage and saying it’s a “dealer demo” that means the owner of the dealership took the car and used it as their own for them or their family.

Trust but verify; Autocheck & Carfax will verify that.

I have had my 2020 Explorer ST (lease) for less than 2 weeks. Vehicle was a dealer demo with 1,200 miles on it. It is back at dealer for turning signals, steering wheel controls that quit working intermittently then come back on. Whatever is happening makes the instrument cluster display 'think' that forward collision is turned off and the speedometer moves from left of display to center. This happens while the forward collision driver assist (and other driver assists) still shows activated in settings screen.

I am really curious about why this issue never came up while the dealer was using the car as a demo.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or something similar? If so, what was the fix.

Thanks in advance!

Update - Electrical issue was diagnosed as loose wire connector inside steering column coupled with connector pin 5 not making contact. Tech referenced C226A. Picked up vehicle yesterday and it seems to be operating properly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Update - Electrical issue was diagnosed as loose wire connector inside steering column coupled with connector pin 5 not making contact. Tech referenced C226A. Picked up vehicle yesterday and it seems to be operating properly.

Oh great, you got it fixed.

Back