Switch Captains Seats for Bench | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Switch Captains Seats for Bench

I have a 2021 Explorer XLT. It has the 2 Captains seats in the 2nd row. I would like to replace the seats with a bench seat. Does anyone know if I'll have trouble doing this and what years might interchange?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys, Im not sure if this is the correct place because while everything is stock, I'd like to add the rear bench to replace my captains chairs. When I bought the Explorer there were none that I wanted that had the rear bench, so we went ahead and got the one with everything else we wanted. After owning for 6k miles now, I think the bench should have been a must have. I see a ton for sale on ebay, most from police vehicles, is putting the bench in as simple as buying one and bolting it down, or are there other changes? I know Ford usually makes one model for all trims and stuff is usually bolt on, but I wanted to make sure before I pulled any triggers. Thank you for the help
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the 'Search' feature.
As per the reply above and that in post #6, it seems that it would take quite a bit of work to switch seats as it looks like new mounting/anchor points would be required. Let us know if you plan to proceed so we can look for follow-up posts in case anyone else is planning on going this route. Thank you.

Peter

t floor lol. So he had to take out the seat to clean the carpet. So it obviously can come out. I never asked him how easy was it or now long it took thoug

Yeah, I have the "$495 EZ-Entry" 2nd row bench that is 35/30/35 (3 pieces). That's good to know! I've considered unbolting the center seat before and grabbing a floor mat to place over the bolt holes and any associated wiring harness', though now that I think about it, the car will probably have a fit if it doesn't detect that middle seat seatbelt since I believe there is an occupancy sensor in the center seat.

We are on our 3rd explorer. Upgrading each time. We just bought a 2020 Platinum maybe 5mths ago and I’m really missing our 2nd row bench seat. Thank goodness I told my husband we were keeping our 06 Eddie Bauer with 245,000 miles as we ended up taking it on our yearly 7 day lake vacation and the main reason was I didn’t like the gaps between the seats and between the 2nd and 3rd row when they were laying down. It was awkward and I felt I couldn’t pack a lot of “heavy” stuff in an “orderly fashion” per se. I didn’t even feel like I knew how to pack everything tightly and up against each other when there’s all these gaps. (No stupid comments warranted) I get it’s different but I honestly feel I can’t\won’t get used to the Capt seats. My husband loves the lighter blue color and I can’t find a used 2020, 2021,or 2022 that even has a 2nd row bench. Our leather seat colors are the dark interior with that dark purple (i don’t really know what color to call it) on the tops of each seat.
Even our teenage kids liked to be able to stretch out across the bench seat and I never thot about that either until I rode back there and wanted to stretch out across it too.
Sorry for being a long post… my question is has anyone changed out the Captains chairs for the bench and how much did it cost and did everything fit and look like it was in the right place. Or can this even be done correctly so that there’s not “rattling” or it not fitting in there correctly as I would be worried about taking something out that was supposed to be in there permanently and replacing it and causing things to be “out of whack” so to speak. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

I found this in another Ford forum.

It's the opposite of what you want to do but it might help to understand how it's done - in reverse.

Here's another link.

Sorry for being a long post… my question is has anyone changed out the Captains chairs for the bench and how much did it cost and did everything fit and look like it was in the right place. Or can this even be done correctly so that there’s not “rattling” or it not fitting in there correctly as I would be worried about taking something out that was supposed to be in there permanently and replacing it and causing thing to be “out of whack” so to speak. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the Search feature. Hopefully you will find some helpful info here. Good luck.

Peter

We are on our 3rd explorer. Upgrading each time. We just bought a 2020 maybe 5mths ago and I’m really missing our 2nd row bench seat. Thank goodness I told my husband we were keeping our 06 Eddie Bauer with 245,000 miles as we ended up taking it on our yearly 7 day lake vacation and the main reason was I didn’t like the gaps between the seats and between the 2nd and 3rd row when they were laying down. It was awkward and I felt I couldn’t pack a lot of “heavy” stuff in an “orderly fashion” per say. I didn’t even feel like I knew how to pack everything tightly and up against each other when there’s all these gaps. (No stupid comments warranted) I get it’s different but I honestly feel I can’t\won’t get used to the Capt seats. My husband loves the lighter blue color and I can’t find a used 2020, 2021,or 2022 that even has a 2nd row bench. Our leather seat colors are the dark interior with that dark purple (i don’t really know what color to call it) on the tops of each seat.
Even our teenage kids liked to be able to stretch out across the bench seat and I never thot about that either until I rode back there and wanted to stretch out across it too.
Sorry for being a long post… my question is has anyone changed out the Captains chairs for the bench and how much did it cost and did everything fit and look like it was in the right place. Or can this even be done correctly so that there’s not “rattling” or it not fitting in there correctly as I would be worried about taking something out that was supposed to be in there permanently and replacing it and causing thing to be “out of whack” so to speak. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
we have the 2nd row bench in our explorer and I wholeheartedly support your quest to convert your explorer,
we often have 3 teenage grandchildren occupying the 2nd row bench and lots of gear in the way back so the two back seats are stowed,
for us the 2nd row bench seat is the perfect configuration,
you also might find additional information on the ST website

Well, I have a 2 year old black lab who doesn't like riding in the very back. He's used to bench seats. The captains chairs are too small for him. Let's just say he's a bit spoiled. So if I could switch the seats with my buddy's seats everyone wins.
I’m curious if you were able to find a good solution for your lab. I’m running into the same issue with my 2020 ST.

I’m curious if you were able to find a good solution for your lab. I’m running into the same issue with my 2020 ST.
Welcome to the Forum Kevin. :wave:
The member you quoted was last seen here on August 26, 2020, so may no longer be around the forum.

Peter

Back