2021 Explorer Automatic Full-time AWD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2021 Explorer Automatic Full-time AWD

LiveTrash

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Ford Explorer ST
I'm interested in purchasing a 2021 Explorer and would prefer to have the ST package, however I am wondering if it's an option to not include the automatic full-time AWD. The local dealer websites I am checking only shows the lower trims as having RWD.

AWD would be nice, but I would prefer to have it selectable. I'm just warry about the automatic nature of the AWD system. Does it just kick in when the wheels slip? Have things drastically changed over the years to improve the reliability of this sort of system?

Any info is appreciated,
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's been a brutal winter throughout much of the US and CA. Given the propensity of owners to complain about their issues on the forum, and the lack of threads regarding issues with the AWD system I would guess that the system has been working well for most owners.

What AWD system, the rear end of the Explorer is open diff. It uses braking and vectoring to lock the system up, while this doesn't equate to a poor system within the 4x4 world. It does not provide for the low and locking diffs that many good systems uses. Some on here have stated that the Explorer runs great on ice/ snow with the proper tires. This has not been my experience in that it does not perform very well in those conditions. Of course ours is just RWD. The Explorer is a cool vehicle but not very confidence inspiring in snow and ice.

You can have AWD with open differentials. If you run quality tires I’m sure it will give solid winter performance.

The AWD of the explorer is more RWD bias as i tested that out numerous times the past 2 weeks with all the snow we got. But i have the OEM A/S tires on though. It did ok vs my previous lease a subaru wrx (also with all seasons).

I could definitely tell the difference in the AWD systems. Subaru is superior IMHO.

If you put winter tires on your EX, you'll be just fine.

I'm interested in purchasing a 2021 Explorer and would prefer to have the ST package, however I am wondering if it's an option to not include the automatic full-time AWD. The local dealer websites I am checking only shows the lower trims as having RWD.

AWD would be nice, but I would prefer to have it selectable. I'm just warry about the automatic nature of the AWD system. Does it just kick in when the wheels slip? Have things drastically changed over the years to improve the reliability of this sort of system?

Any info is appreciated,
Thanks.
I have an ST and It appears to mostly run in RWD mode. I sometimes will put it in "slippery" mode, which I believe puts it in AWD. I don't notice any difference really, I just figure it makes it a little safer, based on the RWD platform. I think you would love the ST. A fully optioned XLT would be close in price to an ST.

You can have AWD with open differentials. If you run quality tires I’m sure it will give solid winter performance.

As compared to what? I would not call it solid in any manner. My Ford truck has AWD low and even in 4A AWD mode it is vastly superior to the Explorer. I assume that is how Ford got the performance out of the Explorer and ST models but its AWD system is not good as compared to Audi, Subaru (as stated), and especially the FX4+ packaged Ford all terrain vehicles. Why Ford did not put a Torsen LSD in the rears of the these Explorers makes little to no sense what so ever.

I have an ST and It appears to mostly run in RWD mode. I sometimes will put it in "slippery" mode, which I believe puts it in AWD. I don't notice any difference really, I just figure it makes it a little safer, based on the RWD platform. I think you would love the ST. A fully optioned XLT would be close in price to an ST.

I wish that was the case for me. I got my almost fully loaded XLT for 42k. The "cheapest" ST i saw in the lot during the time i was at the dealer was 58k. I could have swung it. But unfamiliar with this platform i didn't want to make a costly mistake. Regretting the car and being stuck with it for 3 years at a higher car payment.

But thinking about it now, i wish i would have tried to do more shopping because i do prefer the more aggressive look of the ST, and 6cyl engine. The extra power is good too.

Oh well.

Any info is appreciated,
Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The ST does not come in RWD only. Also, none of the 6th gen Explorers are full-time AWD. The system shifts seamlessly when required and there is a Terrain Control and Hill Descent knob that you can choose to set to different conditions when warranted. I use dedicated winter tires and have not had any issues so far with my vehicles. Looks like we're in for another dump of snow tomorrow evening.:(

Peter

As compared to what? I would not call it solid in any manner. My Ford truck has AWD low and even in 4A AWD mode it is vastly superior to the Explorer. I assume that is how Ford got the performance out of the Explorer and ST models but its AWD system is not good as compared to Audi, Subaru (as stated), and especially the FX4+ packaged Ford all terrain vehicles. Why Ford did not put a Torsen LSD in the rears of the these Explorers makes little to no sense what so ever.
What tires and tread depth are you currently running? If you’re running stock tires in the winter, there’s your problem.

If you are certain you need a limited slip, add one. 🤷

You can’t really compare Subaru and Ford in winter driving

Ford hasn't made an AWD vehicle for ages, maybe 2008ish in the BW4410 transfer case. It looks like the vast majority of people and manufacturers have adopted the misuse of the term AWD.

AWD allows different speeds between the front and rear driveshafts, while 4WD locks the two driveshafts to the same speed. Automatic 4WD which is what is in all of the late model Fords, that locks the front driveshaft to the rear, by an internal clutch system. Ford is misnaming the A4WD system as AWD, another of tons of word abuse over the decades. That makes it more difficult to explain things to unknowing new people.

That automatic 4WD system is what allows Ford to vary the drive conditions with the fancy features like slippery and hill climb modes etc. The drive system is simply turning on or off the transfer case internal clutch, varying it is some way. That makes it 4WD and momentarily allows faster turning front wheels versus the rears.

Try turning the front wheels, and mashing the gas on dry pavement, you will feel the roughness of the 4WD engaging momentarily. It should feel like a 4WD does on dry pavement. AWD does not do that at all, it is completely seamless and smooth, because AWD doesn't fight to keep the speeds the same like 4WD does. Now they may have made it more smooth than the early version of the 90's that they named Control Trac. I'm not debating their improvements. But still the same, AWD drives all four wheels all of the time, not 2WD until it senses slippage.

What tires and tread depth are you currently running? If you’re running stock tires in the winter, there’s your problem.

If you are certain you need a limited slip, add one. 🤷

You can’t really compare Subaru and Ford in winter driving

X-Mode, Symmetrical AWD, locking front and rear diffs, yes I guess you can not compare Ford's regular SUV AWD line up to Subaru.

Tires are not going to make that much of difference, yes the Explorer should have locking rear differential either electric or even a LSD of some sort would be great. They have done that in other models but yet did not do that in this model.

If the awd is inadequate or inferior to another awd car then yes tires might not make a difference that's noticeable. At least in terms of acceleration.

However with braking it does help so that, imho, is worth the price of winter tires if your cars awd system isn't that good.

My Subaru with all seasons was a beast.

If the awd is inadequate or inferior to another awd car then yes tires might not make a difference that's noticeable. At least in terms of acceleration.

However with braking it does help so that, imho, is worth the price of winter tires if your cars awd system isn't that good.

My Subaru with all seasons was a beast.

I have owned 4 Subaru vehicles, a Forester, and a STI. I would not drive the STI in the snow due to tires but the Forester would go through anything.

I have owned 4 Subaru vehicles, a Forester, and a STI. I would not drive the STI in the snow due to tires but the Forester would go through anything.

My wrx came with summer tires lol. Dunlop sport Maxx. I had no choice but to put all seasons. Same with my 2006 Forester. Also rocked all seasons for 3 winters.

The Subaru has more predictability which made it easier to drive in all weather conditions so it was a better winter car. However I give credit to the EX because of its size. So i "feel" safer.

Hard to explain lol. Both are good in winter. But in really harsh harsh winters Subaru would reign.

My wrx came with summer tires lol. Dunlop sport Maxx. I had no choice but to put all seasons. Same with my 2006 Forester. Also rocked all seasons for 3 winters.

The Subaru has more predictability which made it easier to drive in all weather conditions so it was a better winter car. However I give credit to the EX because of its size. So i "feel" safer.

Hard to explain lol. Both are good in winter. But in really harsh harsh winters Subaru would reign.

Maybe most Subaru vehicles are small except the Ascent. However, you do realize that the A pillars of the Subaru has three piece steal rebar in the frame joints. This effectively makes a cage that surrounds its occupants. My wife picked the Explorer and you are right they are bigger and I like it better but Subaru makes some excellent all weather vehicles. Subaru made their name off their AWD systems and winter weather.

Subarus legendary traction kept them afloat during two phases of terrible 2.5 motors. It says a lot about a vehicle that people will change headgaskets on as “routine maintenance.”

Subarus legendary traction kept them afloat during two phases of terrible 2.5 motors. It says a lot about a vehicle that people will change headgaskets on as “routine maintenance.”

Haha thats why I didn't heavily modify my Forester, my Hawkeye wrx and my fa20 wrx. They got their bolt ons and that was it.

Ironically my 06 wrx was a better car than my fa20 wrx. Better gearing, the UEL header design. It was just better. The newer wrx started rattling a week after taking the car home. Subaru quality slipped through the cracks.

I'll never get another Subaru ever. Despite my praise for their awd system.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Haha thats why I didn't heavily modify my Forester, my Hawkeye wrx and my face wrx. They got their bolt ons and that was it.

Ironically my 06 wrx was a better car than my fa20 wrx. Better gearing, the UEL header design. It was just better. The newer wrx started rattling a week after taking the car home. Subaru quality slipped through the cracks.

I'll never get another Subaru ever. Despite my praise for their awd system.

All Subaru's rattle it is part of them my 08 STI did it although my Forester did not but it was a newer model and put together better I think.

The STI is quick but the 2020+ ST Explorer can keep up with it in stock form which shows how far they have dropped. The next STI must have 400hp it would be crazy fast at that power level.

Back