• Register Today It's free!

2021 Explorer PARK not available

Mjrtude

Reaction score
City, State
Lyndhurst, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer XLT
I have had an issue twice now when I turn off the Explorer I receive the message that PARK is not available, use parking brake.
Yesterday I received that message and it would not lock the vehicle and continued to beep. I restarted the engine, all indicators on shift knob flashing and would not shift into gear. Display showed the WRENCH followed by a message like: Shifting error, see manual. I walked away from the unlock Explorer and tried FordPass App to lock which worked. When I returned to the vehicle all was back to normal.

Anyone else experience this issue? Any advice? Service manager at my dealer says he has not heard of that happening. Dealer appointment scheduled for 7/23

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Congratulations, another first and new issue on the 6th gen. Some of the 5th gen Explorers had a Shift to Park error linked to the shifter.

Peter

I haven't encountered the parking issue but, we have been traveling in our 2020 for the first time since great pandemic and I'm collecting a long list of messages.
Four Wheel Drive failure
Cruise Control Failure
Hill Assist Fault
Collision Assist Unavailable
Reverse Brake Assist Not Available
And other items that appear on the screen that I haven't caught in time to record.

Most of these issues came on all at once, appearing on the screen with the tach, speed, etc. I'm also getting warnings on my phone and Apple Watch from Ford Pass at times even when I'm not driving. Since we're traveling I thought I'd call our dealer's service tech. Same response as Mjrtude...He'd never heard of the problem.

These issues seem to come and go. Restarts help but that only last for a while. Just another funky Ford problem.

I haven't encountered the parking issue but, we have been traveling in our 2020 for the first time since great pandemic and I'm collecting a long list of messages.
Four Wheel Drive failure
Cruise Control Failure
Hill Assist Fault
Collision Assist Unavailable
Reverse Brake Assist Not Available
And other items that appear on the screen that I haven't caught in time to record.

Most of these issues came on all at once, appearing on the screen with the tach, speed, etc. I'm also getting warnings on my phone and Apple Watch from Ford Pass at times even when I'm not driving. Since we're traveling I thought I'd call our dealer's service tech. Same response as Mjrtude...He'd never heard of the problem.

These issues seem to come and go. Restarts help but that only last for a while. Just another funky Ford problem.
Possibly this? Pre-Collision and Powertrain Malfunction Warnings

Peter

Back