2021 Explorer XLT Travel Trailer towing issues. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2021 Explorer XLT Travel Trailer towing issues.

So how do they know if you have brakes or not? This coming Wednesday I'm set to do a run from TX to Florida with a triple axle gooseneck in a 2018 dodge ram 2500 to grab a skid steer and come back. How will they no I have brakes or not?
Guess I need to make sure my daughter or I are not on I-10 tomorrow. You do plan to be back in Texas by Friday evening, right? We use it to go to dinner on Fridays.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

About to purchase new Explorer equipped with 52T factory installed towing package. Ford does not offer an electric trailer brake controller for the Explorer. I am aware several are available after market, not my question. My question is, has anyone experienced any issues pulling a trailer weighing 4500 pounds. Acceleration, climbing, & most importantly STOPPING without a controller?
I have a 2018 Explorer got a brake controller my trailer weighs 3200lbs I get 12 miles to a gallon . I'm happy with that. I had a 2006 Yukon and only got 9or 10 mpg and that had a V8 this V6 does better

So how do they know if you have brakes or not? This coming Wednesday I'm set to do a run from TX to Florida with a triple axle gooseneck in a 2018 dodge ram 2500 to grab a skid steer and come back. How will they no I have brakes or not?
It easy to tell because you don't have a break away cable attached. Besides, if you get into a collision where you are at fault and lack of trailer brakes become a issue, especially on a vehicle as heavy as you are talking about towing, you will be sued into bankruptcy, and possibly prosecuted if the injuries are severe enough. I don't understand why you would be willing to take that chance.

Guess I need to make sure my daughter or I are not on I-10 tomorrow. You do plan to be back in Texas by Friday evening, right? We use it to go to dinner on Fridays.
I never said i dont have brakes i asked how they would know if i did or not. I was curious if there was some weigh station rule out there never been to Flordia and dont plan on going again i like Texas. However yes please stay home less traffic in my way lol

I never said i dont have brakes i asked how they would know if i did or not. I was curious if there was some weigh station rule out there never been to Flordia and dont plan on going again i like Texas. However yes please stay home less traffic in my way lol
Again i did not say i dont have brakes i was curious as to how they would know if i did or not.

Again i did not say i dont have brakes i was curious as to how they would know if i did or not.
Thanks for all of the input. Bottom line, electric brakes are required by all 50 US states on trailers. Weight of trailer varies with most states, but weight of 3000 pounds is most common. Second issues is inertia, a body in motion wants to remain in motion, so a heavy trailer without brakes can jackknife in an attempt to remain in motion. Good towing, be safe.

Holy Moses that's the coolest thing I've seen in awhile. I have three different trailers i pull regularly, I would actually hook the brakes up on the two smaller ones if new I didn't have to sit there and fine tune my controller every time. They all three are very different in size. From 30' to 6'
I pull a big 40' Destination trailer and the blutooth controller to the phone is the best thing that has come around in decades. It works flawlessly I could not be more happier, plus if you pull with another vehicle you just plug it in and go. I like it.

I pull a big 40' Destination trailer and the blutooth controller to the phone is the best thing that has come around in decades. It works flawlessly I could not be more happier, plus if you pull with another vehicle you just plug it in and go. I like it.
Welcome to the Forum :wave:
I'm guessing that the towing weight of a 2009 Explorer would be a little different?

Peter

I have a 2018 Explorer got a brake controller my trailer weighs 3200lbs I get 12 miles to a gallon . I'm happy with that. I had a 2006 Yukon and only got 9or 10 mpg and that had a V8 this V6 does better
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

If anyone was curious i will tell you now. A none stop drive(refueling aside) from east Texas to the very bottom of key west Florida and back is a very very long drive. In all took us most of 2 1/2 days with one brake down due to a magic bag flying perfectly into the intake.

About to purchase new Explorer equipped with 52T factory installed towing package. Ford does not offer an electric trailer brake controller for the Explorer. I am aware several are available after market, not my question. My question is, has anyone experienced any issues pulling a trailer weighing 4500 pounds. Acceleration, climbing, & most importantly STOPPING without a controller?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
You will also require a Weight Distribution Hitch. Here is another thread on the brake controller.

Peter
If you don't hook up your trailer brakes...You will drastically increase stopping distance. You will warp your brake rotors. On wet roads or gravel the trailer will push your locked up brakes through intersections. RVs come with brakes for a reason.

Back