2021 Ford Explorer XLT not off to a good start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2021 Ford Explorer XLT not off to a good start

DoraAExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Ford Ex Timberline
The wife just traded off her 2016.5 Mazda CX5 for a 21 Explorer. It looks awesome and I was aware of the initial product launch problems all stemming from the Chicago plant. They ship some early production models to Flat Rock in order to run quality control on them. Well the passenger side air bag curtain is kicking a fault code and we had to send it back to the dealership with less than 1k miles on the clock. It could be something simple or the air bag could have to be replaced. I am hoping it is just a software issue but I guess we will find out.

Not off to a great start already with the new 6th gen Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If my memory is correct, this is the first report of this problem. And yours is 2021, everything is supposed to fixed by the time 2021 was built.

If my memory is correct, this is the first report of this problem. And yours is 2021, everything is supposed to fixed by the time 2021 was built.
Of course they are saying everything was fixed.

I’d rather it be a hardware issue than a software issue. A bad component can easily be swapped. And, even in the worst case you could throw a bunch of parts at it and very possibly solve the issue. Glitchy, and intermittent programming issues are the worst.

This turned out to be a bad pin connector in the passengers side seat. They have order a new pig tail wire harness and expect it to be there early next to week to replace it. I guess it was just a bad assembly problem but should have it back in a week or so. No big deal.

This turned out to be a bad pin connector in the passengers side seat. They have order a new pig tail wire harness and expect it to be there early next to week to replace it. I guess it was just a bad assembly problem but should have it back in a week or so. No big deal.

OK, you are going to laugh but I literally registered on this forum to reply to you because of the hilarious coincidences...

• my wife also came out of a '16.5 Mazda CX-5 (grand touring, soul red, awd) into an Explorer ('20 Limited 4x4)
  • your username "doraaexplorer" is almost identical to what she named her car in FordPass, which is "Dora the Explorer" (though I'm sure thats common)

Good luck with the '21, hopefully they solve the issue. We're off to a great start with our '20.

OK, you are going to laugh but I literally registered on this forum to reply to you because of the hilarious coincidences...

• my wife also came out of a '16.5 Mazda CX-5 (grand touring, soul red, awd) into an Explorer ('20 Limited 4x4)
  • your username "doraaexplorer" is almost identical to what she named her car in FordPass, which is "Dora the Explorer" (though I'm sure thats common)

Good luck with the '21, hopefully they solve the issue. We're off to a great start with our '20.

Yes, that is what our Explorer is named as well. Funny that you went from the Mazda to the Ford as that use to be a Ford brand mate. I also own a F150 so that is kind of neat as well. It was certainly unexpected to have to take a brand new 21 into the shop for warranty work so soon but my wife did get the 100 thousand mile warranty, so I am sure it will be covered if anything happens later on. Most of the members here are ST owners which is to be expected given it is an enthusiast forum. Everyone here is pretty cool unlike some forums where members argue all the time.

The 6th gen Explorer is nice indeed. We are hoping to have it back by Tuesday or Wednesday. If I could only think up some cool truck names in order to name my 2018 F150?

Yes, that is what our Explorer is named as well. Funny that you went from the Mazda to the Ford as that use to be a Ford brand mate. I also own a F150 so that is kind of neat as well. It was certainly unexpected to have to take a brand new 21 into the shop for warranty work so soon but my wife did get the 100 thousand mile warranty, so I am sure it will be covered if anything happens later on. Most of the members here are ST owners which is to be expected given it is an enthusiast forum. Everyone here is pretty cool unlike some forums where members argue all the time.

The 6th gen Explorer is nice indeed. We are hoping to have it back by Tuesday or Wednesday. If I could only think up some cool truck names in order to name my 2018 F150?

Yeah, I have always appreciated Mazda, even when they were Fords brand mate. My wife and I loved the design, appearance and feature package the CX-5 offered, but when we started a family we quickly outgrew it.

My F-150 is named "Brute." Kind of childish but whatever 🤣 life is short.

Effie (sp?) Aunt Effie from the TV series ‘Mama’s Family’ ...

Effie (sp?) Aunt Effie from the TV series ‘Mama’s Family’ ...

A truck can't have a chicks name but as a F350 owner I could see how you would think that and do get your joke.

Then again it is just not any old F150 they make tremors but this is the other one.

A truck can't have a chicks name but as a F350 owner I could see how you would think that and do get your joke.

Then again it is just not any old F150 they make tremors but this is the other one.
How about ‘The Effterminator’ a play on Schwarzenegger and an exterminator, both ‘killing machines’!

How about ‘The Effterminator’ a play on Schwarzenegger and an exterminator, both ‘killing machines’!

Now your making jokes, LOL

Something along the lines of Jurassic Park would be more like it, something cool like Blue, Delta, Echo or Charlie

I like Echo the best I think

Now your making jokes, LOL

Something along the lines of Jurassic Park would be more like it, something cool like Blue, Delta, Echo or Charlie

I like Echo the best I think
My Explorer is named Betty White in the Ford Pass App.

Used to watch her show back in the 50's

Used to watch her show back in the 50's

Beside Golden Girl reruns and some of the originals I don't have much memory of her. Have seen pictures of her early career days and she was quite an attractive woman.

Still is, in my book. I probably will cry when she finally passes.

I went to a Betty White "concert" a few years ago. Basically a 90 minute chat emceed by Valerie Bertinelli. Ms White was engaging, entertaining and very funny. Glad I saw it.

I went to a Betty White "concert" a few years ago. Basically a 90 minute chat emceed by Valerie Bertinelli. Ms White was engaging, entertaining and very funny. Glad I saw it.

Yeah I heard in the 90s after the golden girls BW was going on a book signing tour which wasn't very successful. Probably around the time of lake placid deal, she regained a lot of popularity with younger people again after that B side movie.

It probably is strange to her how everyone wants their picture taken with her.

Yeah I heard in the 90s after the golden girls BW was going on a book signing tour which wasn't very successful. Probably around the time of lake placid deal, she regained a lot of popularity with younger people again after that B side movie.

It probably is strange to her how everyone wants their picture taken with her.

Got the Explorer back yesterday and everything is great with it or so it seems. Good thing the wife opted for the 100K mile warranty. It turned out to be a wire harness pig tail that connected the seat to the side airbag curtain.

Got the Explorer back yesterday and everything is great with it or so it seems. Good thing the wife opted for the 100K mile warranty. It turned out to be a wire harness pig tail that connected the seat to the side airbag curtain.

Well what wasn't a good start seems to be great at the moment, everything is going good. The Ignite Blue with the carbon gray is pretty cool looking IMO

1610743592773.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back