2021 Platinum Needs a Tougher Look | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2021 Platinum Needs a Tougher Look

BriancaseyATW

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer Platinum
I struggled with trim choice for my ‘21 Explorer. Love the ST, but too Robocop for me. Timberline is more my style but it was not offered with the larger engine. So, I went with the Platinum. Great vehicle with outstanding creature comforts, but it lacks character. Any ideas for external changes/additions to give it a more rugged curb appeal?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hmm... how bout a slight lift, some larger AT tires... brush guard (not sure if those are offered yet) and maybe some offroad lights! and if you got the $$ then some fake beadlock rims... check out the modified 2021+ section! and welcome to EF! :D

1648701198697.png

I'm going to add the black EXPLORER hood lettering from the ST model as a first step.
The ST is cool but that would be kinda odd on a Platinum.

Kinda curious - why do you characterize the ST as too robocop? I would think that it would fit the desire for looking tougher.

hmm... how bout a slight lift, some larger AT tires... brush guard (not sure if those are offered yet) and maybe some offroad lights! and if you got the $$ then some fake beadlock rims... check out the modified 2021+ section! and welcome to EF! :D

Thank you! I’ll take a look.

Kinda curious - why do you characterize the ST as too robocop? I would think that it would fit the desire for looking tougher.
I love the STs! The black rims and red calipers just aren't my style, and I couldn't find/order one that combined the lower-end rims/brakes with the other safety and sound tech I wanted. I traded in a '13 Explorer Sport, so ST is where I started my search and probably where my heart is. The Platinum, as nice as it is, was definitely a trade-off. I also have to acknowledge that my wife liked the Platinum, so there's that. ;)

Have a "flower power" wrap installed on the vehicle then everyone will know that you are not a cop.

I struggled with trim choice for my ‘21 Explorer. Love the ST, but too Robocop for me. Timberline is more my style but it was not offered with the larger engine. So, I went with the Platinum. Great vehicle with outstanding creature comforts, but it lacks character. Any ideas for external changes/additions to give it a more rugged curb appeal?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

View attachment 428025

I'm going to add the black EXPLORER hood lettering from the ST model as a first step.
The ST is cool but that would be kinda odd on a Platinum.
Good idea; the lettering looks great. I went with a deflector. My '13 Explorer ended up with rust issues on the lip of the hood, so I felt compelled to add protection on this one.

I love the STs! The black rims and red calipers just aren't my style, and I couldn't find/order one that combined the lower-end rims/brakes with the other safety and sound tech I wanted. I traded in a '13 Explorer Sport, so ST is where I started my search and probably where my heart is. The Platinum, as nice as it is, was definitely a trade-off. I also have to acknowledge that my wife liked the Platinum, so there's that. ;)
I'm right there with ya! I'm seriously thinking about trading my Timberline for an ST. The T-line is very cool but there's something about the appearance and driving characteristics that doesn't quite do it for me. Now the next step is to actually find one that hasn't had a "market adjustment" added. Some dealerships are tacking on $3-5K to MSRP for in stock vehicles. We'll see what happens!

Good idea; the lettering looks great. I went with a deflector. My '13 Explorer ended up with rust issues on the lip of the hood, so I felt compelled to add protection on this one.
That was corrosion on the hood, not rust, and a hood deflector would not have helped at all. Apparently, it stems from iron contamination of the aluminum panel prior to the application of paint. So far there have been no reports of this occurring on the 6th gen Explorer.

Peter

Back