• Register Today It's free!

2021 XLT Firewall Insulation

whitelightning1994

Reaction score
City, State
Simpsonville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 XLT
I’m building my list of missing items, and so far it’s the rear deflector, tow hook, strut tower insulation, and engine cover.
My firewall is black felt, but I’ve noticed others have a foil reflective insulation. Was this an intentional change or another parts shortage?

FA04722B-105B-4378-A8C2-1875EC7B21F1.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know about the firewall insulation. But I did notice that yours does not have the strut tower brace. I'm not sure if anyone got it free but some did purchase the part and install it them selves. Solved - Strut Cross bar info parts and install
Looking back at that thread, all the pictures of the 2021 it looks like the firewall insulation is black. The ones of the 2020 are silver so it looks like a change.

The tow eye was eliminated as part of a 'running change'. Solved - Missing Part - towing eye There probably isn't a place to use it anyway.
As for the other items mentioned, it is likely that they are not missing but not part of the build.

Peter

I don't know about the firewall insulation. But I did notice that yours does not have the strut tower brace. I'm not sure if anyone got it free but some did purchase the part and install it them selves. Solved - Strut Cross bar info parts and install
Looking back at that thread, all the pictures of the 2021 it looks like the firewall insulation is black. The ones of the 2020 are silver so it looks like a change.
Thank you for confirming the firewall insulation.

According to the manual, 2.3L’s don’t come with the strut tower brace, only the V6’s. I ordered it from Whitebear, looks like either it or the bolts are special order.

7A2B43A3-D016-4810-83AD-2E79FB950706.jpeg

8B54E283-8614-447B-8728-063A74371C56.jpeg

The tow eye was eliminated as part of a 'running change'. Solved - Missing Part - towing eye There probably isn't a place to use it anyway.
As for the other items mentioned, it is likely that they are not missing but not part of the build.

Peter
Thanks Peter. This is a Feb 21 build, but parts.Ford.com still shows they should have been on this VIN.

Good catch on that. I see the owners manual for 2020 shows the same thing.

Good catch on that. I see the owners manual for 2020 shows the same thing.
Ford has been know to recycle photos/diagrams along with other incorrect info from one year to another. Not saying the Manual is wrong though.

Peter

A little late, but since I took the picture, I'm going to post it. ;)
Perhaps the type of firewall insulation depends on which engine you have. Mine with the 3.0L has the foil insulator. Maybe due to the extra heat it creates? :dunno:

Peter

Shield.jpg

Perhaps the type of firewall insulation depends on which engine you have. Mine with the 3.0L has the foil insulator. Maybe due to the extra heat it creates? :dunno:

Peter

View attachment 423001
My 2.3L 2020 limited also has the foil insulator

Peter

View attachment 423001
Peter, thanks for posting this pic for your 2020 Lincoln Aviator Reserve. It's helpful to see one installed.
When I had my Explorer in for poor cabin acoustics a few days after delivery my dealership earnestly looked for the firewall insulator. I wanted it installed for the potential acoustic benefit and was willing to pay extra. The Service and Parts managers at the dealership determined it doesn't exist for my 2021 3.0L V6 Platinum (build early Sept 2021). Perhaps it's no longer available and/or not istalled on any trim levels on the Explorer.

Now I'm considering a custom install of the Dynamat Hoodliner on sections of the firewall to reduce the engine whine in the cabin. I added same to the underside of the hood and that's improved the cabin acoustics in general however I still hear an engine whine under moderate acceleration. I've determined it's not 'fake or enhanced engine sounds' as with the ST trim. My Platinum engine sounds the same in all drive modes under all acceleration situations. I've also performed the Forscan update to turn off any engine enhanced sounds just in case. There is no difference with these enabled or disabled in my vehicle. I've done extensive road testing to prove it to myself.

Hopefully this 'better late' information helps others. Frankly my advice to anyone taking delivery of a new Explorer is drive it before signing anything. Had I driven mine first I would have declined delivery.

Back