• Register Today It's free!

2022 Explorer Towing

rob2337

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT 4x4
I noticed in the 2022 order guide that the Class III tow package has been replaced with a Class IV, does this mean the Explorer will get a bump in towing capacity? I noticed that the 2021 Lincoln with the V6 had already a class IV hitch with 6700lbs capacity.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What was the towing capacity on the 20 and 21 aviators? The ST and platinums from those years were at 5600 lbs. If the 20 and 21's lincolns were also 5600, it would be a logical conclusion that the 22 EX's might jump to 6700 just like the lincolns.

Aviator has been 6700 lbs.

Peter

Ok, so the EX will probably stay at 5600 lbs. Why bother upgrading the receiver hitch to a class 4 if the towing capacity stays the same?

Ok, so the EX will probably stay at 5600 lbs. Why bother upgrading the receiver hitch to a class 4 if the towing capacity stays the same?
Just an upgrade I guess

I don't think the towing capacity has been confirmed yet, at least not here. The Owner's Manual isn't available yet.

Peter

The Aviator and Explorer share the same platform, the difference in towing are the hitch classes. A class 4 hitch on the Explorer will definitely bring the towing up to the Aviator specs.

I noticed in the 2022 order guide that the Class III tow package has been replaced with a Class IV, does this mean the Explorer will get a bump in towing capacity? I noticed that the 2021 Lincoln with the V6 had already a class IV hitch with 6700lbs capacity.
My 2003 Hemi Ram had a class IV hitch, but was only rated at 7,800#, still in class III range. Just 'cause it has a class IV hitch doesn't make it a class IV tow vehicle.

My 2021 xlt with the factory hitch has a sticker on it with a capacity of 6700 pounds and 670 hitch weight. But the manual tells you the limit is 5300 pounds

Aviator has been 6700 lbs.

Peter
Looks like for 2022 aviator tow capacity was dropped to 5600 pounds

Screenshot_20210824-205827_Drive.jpg

My 2021 xlt with the factory hitch has a sticker on it with a capacity of 6700 pounds and 670 hitch weight. But the manual tells you the limit is 5300 pounds
There is more factors that determine towing capacity than just hitch class. Brakes factor into the equation, along with engine/transmission combo, chassis type, suspension, etc. There is a reason a F350 dually has a tow rating of 30K+ lbs. vs an explorer with roughly 5K tow rating.

Looks like for 2022 aviator tow capacity was dropped to 5600 pounds
I wonder why that change happened? In comparing the 2020 towing guide, the only difference I see is that the previous guide showed a 250 amp alternator. That isn't listed on the 2022 guide. Can't see that being the cause. The 2020 and 2021 without the tow package were limited to 5600 lbs.
The 2022 guide no longer differentiates between with or without the factory package for capacity or frontal area limitations. Axle ratio remains the same at 3.58 for the 3.0L.

Peter

I wonder why that change happened? In comparing the 2020 towing guide, the only difference I see is that the previous guide showed a 250 amp alternator. That isn't listed on the 2022 guide. Can't see that being the cause. The 2020 and 2021 without the tow package were limited to 5600 lbs.
The 2022 guide no longer differentiates between with or without the factory package for capacity or frontal area limitations. Axle ratio remains the same at 3.58 for the 3.0L.

Peter
I suspect that it has not changed. If you look at the bottom of the pamphlet it says preliminary. I suspect that it will be revised to 6700lbs when the final copy comes out it September. I am still hoping for the V6 Explorer to be 6700lbs....

There is more factors that determine towing capacity than just hitch class. Brakes factor into the equation, along with engine/transmission combo, chassis type, suspension, etc. There is a reason a F350 dually has a tow rating of 30K+ lbs. vs an explorer with roughly 5K tow rating.

On the other hand, the only difference on an F150 between non max tow v max tow versions was the “plate” that sits between the chassis and rear bumper and includes the receiver hitch. The max tow version has the safety chain hook ups at an angle

Back