2022 Ford Explorer ST…Performance Suggestions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2022 Ford Explorer ST…Performance Suggestions

mhanback

Reaction score
City, State
Bradenton FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thoughts on performance options for the 2022 Ford Explorer ST?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thoughts on performance options for the 2022 Ford Explorer ST?
This is what I am getting ... FenFab Catted Downpipes , Borla S-Type Exhaust (Black Tips) , BFE Air Intake, 5 Star Tuning Pre-Programmed Tuner. I would like to add the Whipple Intercooler but it might be a while before I pull the trigger on it.

I'd start with handling first. Steeda lowering springs and rear sway bar..

This is what I am getting ... FenFab Catted Downpipes , Borla S-Type Exhaust (Black Tips) , BFE Air Intake, 5 Star Tuning Pre-Programmed Tuner. I would like to add the Whipple Intercooler but it might be a while before I pull the trigger on it.

So I have seen suggested:

SCT's X4 for tuning ($419., 30 min install)
Whipple Mega Cooler ($1095., 3.5hr install)
MBRP Pro Series Cat-Back Exhaust ($1300., 2 hr install)
Sway bar ($270., 1hr install)
Front struts ($205.,4hr install)
Rear shocks $180., 4hr install)
Lowering springs ($340., 2.5hrs install)...all from Steeda (they only have the color blue I believe?)
UPR Catch Can (2020-22 Explorer ST Ecoboost 3.0 Dual Valve Oil Catch Can Plug N Play with ECSS)

There seems to be a ton of options for tuning and exhaust but I have yet to see a comparison?

Get yourself a catch can too. Also until you get some aftermarket wheels , consider some wheel spacers. Bora makes an excellent wheel spacer, most run a 1.25" front and a 1.5" rear. Wheel Adapters, Wheel Spacers, Hub Rings for your car! | Motorsport Tech
Since you haven't bought your tune yet, ask for the auto stop/start to be disabled. It can be done thru the tune now and it will save you 100 bucks because you will not have to buy an autostop eliminator. Also request to show gears always in all drive modes.

I have the JLT catch can, and some redline tuning hood struts and a 5 star custom tune on mine right now, along with a set of steeda lowering springs and a steeda rear sway bar. I have a whipple FMIC on order, and a set of bora wheel spacers, and I'm about to order a custom tune from ZFG racing.

BTW I'm your neighbor just to the north, I'm in North Olmsted, and themishmosh is out on the east side burbs somewhere (I think)

You can scratch off struts and shocks....there are no performance replacements at the moment. And the install times are wrong anyways. lowering springs require removing and reinstall of struts and shocks. Its about 3 hr to do it.

I'm in Broadview Hts.

So I have seen suggested:

SCT's X4 for tuning ($419., 30 min install)
Whipple Mega Cooler ($1095., 3.5hr install)
MBRP Pro Series Cat-Back Exhaust ($1300., 2 hr install)
Sway bar ($270., 1hr install)
Front struts ($205.,4hr install)
Rear shocks $180., 4hr install)
Lowering springs ($340., 2.5hrs install)...all from Steeda (they only have the color blue I believe?)
UPR Catch Can (2020-22 Explorer ST Ecoboost 3.0 Dual Valve Oil Catch Can Plug N Play with ECSS)

There seems to be a ton of options for tuning and exhaust but I have yet to see a comparison?
Can't go wrong with that. It will be a badass setup! The MBRP is my second choice for exhaust, but I am not sure what one to go with yet between that and the Borla S-Type. I want a lower note while having the least amount of drone. I am not sure you really need to mess with the suspension but that is up to you. I am trying to do whatever mods I can while still keeping my extended warranty.

Back