2022 Ford Maverick revealed — hybrid pickup gets 37 mpg, costs $21,490 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2022 Ford Maverick revealed — hybrid pickup gets 37 mpg, costs $21,490

swshawaii

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FWD and unibody. Can we assume the chip shortage isn't going to stall this? I noticed there is a push button to start/stop the engine - is that a new thing on recent Fords?

The push button stop and start have been around for quite a while. Probably since 2011 or so. These days it is pretty much a standard feature. My wife's 2015 Edge has it and I do find it to be quite convenient. Jut carry the FOB in a pocket/purse and it is detected and allows the car to start. This feature also allowed me to install a remote start box in the vehicle for $200.

I think the Maverick might sell fairly well. The 2011-2019 Explorers and the Edge sold well and they were FWD/unibody based platforms. It gives pickup truck functionality to those who don't care much about off road capability. Plus, at a $20k starting price for a hybrid model that gets 40 mpg in the city it should appeal to a wide swath of potential buyers. At that price and mpg level there isn't really much of a penalty to owning it over a sedan.

I noticed there is a push button to start/stop the engine - is that a new thing on recent Fords?

Yes, as well as the round shifter knob:banghead:

The push button stop and start have been around for quite a while. Probably since 2011 or so. These days it is pretty much a standard feature. My wife's 2015 Edge has it and I do find it to be quite convenient. Jut carry the FOB in a pocket/purse and it is detected and allows the car to start. This feature also allowed me to install a remote start box in the vehicle for $200.

I think Maverick might sell fairly well. The 2011-2019 Explorers and the Edge sold well and they were FWD/unibody based platforms. It gives pickup truck functionality to those who don't care much about off road capability. Plus, at a $20k starting price for a hybrid model that gets 40 mpg in the city it should appeal to a wide swath of potential buyers. At that price and mpg level there isn't really much of a penalty to owning it over a sedan.
Will 'sell like hotcakes' for sure.

Its stupid front wheel drive didn't work in the past explorers if you really need one of these go ahead but overall to damn small and I was looking at a crew cab ranger for a bit

Its stupid front wheel drive didn't work in the past explorers if you really need one of these go ahead but overall to damn small and I was looking at a crew cab ranger for a bit
I thought the 5th gen Explorers wouldn't sell due to the transverse mounted engine. I was wrong. I don't think the people who are interested in this vehicle care about it being FWD. They will like the style, functionality, economy and price. Most people who buy trucks never take them off road or tow anything with them. I showed the Maverick to my wife last night and was surprised she said it is something she would drive and wants to look at one to replace her Edge. The 2.5L hybrid would be perfect for her. I really like that the hybrid is a non turbo engine. This and it being only FWD should make it quite dependable as the miles rack up. Also, I think a hybrid is a much more viable vehicle than an EV at this point in time. The Maverick is the first truck I have seen that can replace a sedan and not extract a penalty for MPG, maneuverability or price. I think it is going to be a massive hit.

As for me, I will stick with my V8 4WD dinosaur. Nothing new these days really appeals to me. IMO, the 4th gen Explorers/Mountaineers are the the best mid sized SUV Ford has offered that has comfort, features, 6-7 person seating, economy, dependability, towing capability and decent off road ability.

Front wheel drive “worked” just fine in the Explorer. They sold millions of them. Front wheel drive is better in 75%, or more, situations.

I thought the 5th gen Explorers wouldn't sell due to the transverse mounted engine. I was wrong. I don't think the people who are interested in this vehicle care about it being FWD. They will like the style, functionality, economy and price. Most people who buy trucks never take them off road or tow anything with them. I showed the Maverick to my wife last night and was surprised she said it is something she would drive and wants to look at one to replace her Edge. The 2.5L hybrid would be perfect for her. I really like that the hybrid is a non turbo engine. This and it being only FWD should make it quite dependable as the miles rack up. Also, I think a hybrid is a much more viable vehicle than an EV at this point in time. The Maverick is the first truck I have seen that can replace a sedan and not extract a penalty for MPG, maneuverability or price. I think it is going to be a massive hit.

As for me, I will stick with my V8 4WD dinosaur. Nothing new these days really appeals to me. IMO, the 4th gen Explorers/Mountaineers are the the best mid sized SUV Ford has offered that has comfort, features, 6-7 person seating, economy, dependability, towing capability and decent off road ability.
Lol I can totally see that as they wouldn't worry about the quote on quote issues that rear wheel drive has with nowadays people have so I can see why there doing it I totally just going to stick with v8 newer 5.3 yuckon and my 2000 limited with butt warmers lol

Front wheel drive “worked” just fine in the Explorer. They sold millions of them. Front wheel drive is better in 75%, or more, situations.
Hey I drove my parents 5th gen like twice and I thought I broke the damn thing so when I took a 6th out for a test drive and realized there rear mainly I thought it was funny that they went back I'm not saying there horrible or anything I'm probably just to used to rear wheel drive

I’m not a fan of the 5th gens because they’re too light duty, but none of its problems are related to being primarily front drive. When it’s icy I’d much rather be in a front biased AWD like a Subaru than my Mountaineer.

I’m not a fan of the 5th gens because they’re too light duty, but none of its problems are related to being primarily front drive. When it’s icy I’d much rather be in a front biased AWD like a Subaru than my Mountaineer.
I can see that! I'm the same way we had a bit of snow right after I got my yukon and god when my butt slipped out on ice wooooo one thing I that will sell these things is that price man!

I’m skeptical of that price. As inflated as everything is now I’m sure dealers will be charging considerably more.

Also, that’s the stripped out price. Fully equipped they’ll be almost 40k. The new Santa Cruz has better towing capacity, more torque, and will come much better equipped near the lower end of the pricing scale. Plus, they’ll probably rollout with considerably less glitches, and low mileage warranty claims. I’d absolutely avoid the first two years of the Maverick.

Hey I drove my parents 5th gen like twice and I thought I broke the damn thing so when I took a 6th out for a test drive and realized there rear mainly I thought it was funny that they went back I'm not saying there horrible or anything I'm probably just to used to rear wheel drive
Just have to drive em differently, got my first FWD about 2005. I'll be finding out how well my A4wd behaves this winter!

I’m skeptical of that price. As inflated as everything is now I’m sure dealers will be charging considerably more.

Also, that’s the stripped out price. Fully equipped they’ll be almost 40k. The new Santa Cruz has better towing capacity, more torque, and will come much better equipped near the lower end of the pricing scale. Plus, they’ll probably rollout with considerably less glitches, and low mileage warranty claims. I’d absolutely avoid the first two years of the Maverick.
I have watched several videos on this truck. Even the base models seem to be well optioned. From what I have learned from the videos, the fully optioned models are around $30k. The Maverick is sliding in under the Bronco Sport for price and features.

The big, big problem with the Santa Cruz is it only has a 600 lb bed payload capacity. The Maverick has a 1,500 lb bed payload capacity. The difference is the Santa Cruz is a borrowed crossover chassis. The Maverick was designed from the ground up to be more like a conventional truck. I don't see the Santa Cruz being all that popular because it doesn't look or function like a pickup truck the way the Maverick does. The Santa Cruz reminds me of the old Subaru Baja that never did all that well with sales.

No ones putting 1500 pounds in the bed of the Maverick. Fully optioned I read the Maverick was 38k. I also read they had the same payload.

No ones putting 1500 pounds in the bed of the Maverick. Fully optioned I read the Maverick was 38k. I also read they had the same payload.
I haven't read where the bed payload is limited to 600 lbs. I know Ford is claiming the Maverick can haul 37 bags of mulch weighing 40 lbs per bag. This equates to 1,480 lbs. Below is a link to a Bloomberg article where this is mentioned. There a a lot of articles that do the same.

Ford Maverick

Here is another one:

2022 Ford Maverick Max Towing And Payload Specs

I haven't read where the bed payload is limited to 600 lbs. I know Ford is claiming the Maverick can haul 37 bags of mulch weighing 40 lbs per bag. This equates to 1,480 lbs. Below is a link to a Bloomberg article where this is mentioned. There a a lot of articles that do the same.

Ford Maverick

Here is another one:

2022 Ford Maverick Max Towing And Payload Specs
I didn’t say bed payload, I said payload, and the Santa Cruz is actually higher at 1,750. I’d wager less than 5% of people ever max out the payload in the Maverick.

I have watched several videos on this truck. Even the base models seem to be well optioned. From what I have learned from the videos, the fully optioned models are around $30k. The Maverick is sliding in under the Bronco Sport for price and features.

The big, big problem with the Santa Cruz is it only has a 600 lb bed payload capacity. The Maverick has a 1,500 lb bed payload capacity. The difference is the Santa Cruz is a borrowed crossover chassis. The Maverick was designed from the ground up to be more like a conventional truck. I don't see the Santa Cruz being all that popular because it doesn't look or function like a pickup truck the way the Maverick does. The Santa Cruz reminds me of the old Subaru Baja that never did all that well with sales.
Was the Baja better than the Brat, I used to clean those up at a dealer in 1985-1988?

The Maverick is based on an existing platform, which should help the sales and the features of those common vehicles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn’t say bed payload, I said payload, and the Santa Cruz is actually higher at 1,750. I’d wager less than 5% of people ever max out the payload in the Maverick.
IMO, the payload rating for the Maverick is far more useful than the Santa Cruz. Limiting bed payload to 600 lbs. takes away a lot of capability to haul heavy items.

Back