2022 Timberline 2.3L Transfer Case Output Shaft Seal Leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2022 Timberline 2.3L Transfer Case Output Shaft Seal Leak

kaptainkriz

Reaction score
City, State
Leonardtown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Timberline, 2018 XLT
New Timberline owner here - I bought a new 22 Timberline last week and noticed some drips on my garage floor. It appears that the rear output shaft seal is leaking. I cleaned it up to see if it is still leaking, and it is. Left a message with the dealer and will have them look at it hopefully tomorrow. I did a search of the forum and did not see any mention of similar issues. Has this one come up before and how common is this?

694E6373-A803-4BD3-8820-7365DC97782D.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I believe this is the first mention of the issue. Please report back after your dealer visit. Thanks.

Peter

First time I'm seeing this problem with the Timberline '22. Definitely curious to see what the dealer says it is. Hopefully for you, and all of us, it's a 1-off kinda problem and an easy fix. 🤞

Well, seems the leak has not stopped…back to the dealer. 😕

46DDAD90-D0E5-4451-9375-BA6DB175CBB4.jpeg

Well that sucks. There might be an issue other than the seal.

Back from the shop, changed the seal again. No overt drips after initial driving and inspection. Will continue to monitor. The dealer has been exceptionally responsive, which I am thankful for.

If the seal isn't set right then it will leak, if they bump or move it in the process of sitting the shaft it could leak as well. We just traded our 21 Explorer for a 23 TImberline in Gray and love it.

Inspected after a 2200 mile road trip and the leak is still there…much slower now though. When I get time I need to run it by the dealer again.

Inspected after a 2200 mile road trip and the leak is still there…much slower now though. When I get time I need to run it by the dealer again.

I saw where there is a recall on December to January 23, 2.3 liter builds with oil leaks and they replace the whole engine. If yours was made during this time frame you might want to check into it?

I saw where there is a recall on December to January 23, 2.3 liter builds with oil leaks and they replace the whole engine. If yours was made during this time frame you might want to check into it?
Not an oil leak and not the engine. This is clearly leaking from the transfer case aft output shaft seal. At this point I suspect an imperfection in the casing or shaft is causing the seal to fail or leaking around it. When I get time I’ll see what they say this time around.

Back