202a U.S. vs Canada - Specifically, Heated Steering Wheel & Foot Controlled Liftgate | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

202a U.S. vs Canada - Specifically, Heated Steering Wheel & Foot Controlled Liftgate

Clarkbre

Reaction score
City, State
Everett, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
We just purchased a used '17 Explorer XLT that was manufactured in 6/17. Ours was built for the Canadian market, sold in Canada and then imported to WA where we purchased it.

The Ford build sheet for our Explorer (Specific to the VIN) lists the following:
- 202a
- Class III trailer tow package
- XLT Sport appearance package
also other line items that I can't remember off the top of my head.

We are overall very happy with the vehicle; however, my wife noticed 2 features that Ford lists specifically in their 2017 brocure under the 202a packages but we don't seem to have:

1. Heated steering wheel - 202a only
2. Hands-free foot-activated liftgate - included in the 202a package as part of the 201a

My question is, are all 202a's created equal? Or, is there a Canadian 202a and a U.S. 202a?

As a following note, ours has heated front seats without AC in them and no power/remote liftgate.

Also, my wife didn't appreciate my comment that our Explorer most likely has the 202eh package! :D

Here's the newest to our fleet:
Suzann.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
There are sometimes changes between U.S. and Canadian models with the usual difference being that Canadian models come with the some standard features that are optional on U.S, models. In most cases they are quite similar. I have not been able to find on either the U.S. or Canadian Ford websites where the XLT has heated steering. It also does not show as an option in the 2017 Order Guide. As for the Foot Activated Hands Free Liftgate, it is an option included with the XLT Technology Feature Bundle. It is not a standard feature with either the 201A or 202A package. You can see the 2017 Order Guide here; 2017 EXPLORER ORDER.pdf
Unfortunately the U.S. site no longer shows the package features for the 2017. On the Canadian site, there was no heated steering wheel shown in either the 201A or 202A package. The foot activated liftgate was a $600 option.
Nice looking vehicle.

Peter

Thank you for the reply. I am feeling mislead as the brochure specifically states that these are included in the 202a package. Am I missing something? Below is a screenshot taken directly from the 2017 brochure:

Screenshot (13)_LI.jpg

I saw that as well when I pulled up the brochure. It's too bad Ford did away with the 2017. Perhaps some other 2017 XLT owners can jump in here.

Peter

.... On the Canadian site, there was no heated steering wheel shown in either the 201A or 202A package. The foot activated liftgate was a $600 option....

Peter, Thanks for the information. This might just be the answer I wasn't hoping for; however, its an answer nonetheless!

If anyone has the Canadian 2017 Explorer brochure, I'd love to get a PDF copy (PM me for my email). It would help settle the discussion at our house for sure.

I have a Canadian ‘17 XLT with 202A, sport appearance and tech package. No heated steering wheel, and hands free lift gate is part of the tech package.

This is my window sticker:

ACEF3E11-46C2-4E52-8EB4-4E78D672AF27.jpeg

Hi folks,

So I can't speak to the 2017's, but I ordered my 2018 Explorer XLT last month and came across the same thing. Did some research and the 202A equipment packages are indeed different for Canadian and US customers. 202A in Canada does *not* include the heated steering wheel. The brochure that Clarkbre posted was likely the US brochure. FYI Ford of Canada does not publish any kind of brochures any more, neither in paper nor PDF form - product details are only available at ford.ca (confirmed by speaking with customer service and my dealer). The PDF's that are floating out there are on ford.com (i.e. USA).

Thank you all for your help and clarification.

I went on Ford.ca and "built" an '18 with our exact build sheet. It did not include the foot-activated liftgate or the heated steering wheel. Bummer for us, but it makes perfect sense now. At least we won't be wondering about it anymore.

On the bright side, only a few posts in and this forum has been an absolute great help. Can't wait to learn more about the Explorers. Thanks.

Might be worth a double check on the heated steering wheel. You can only turn it on from the climate page. Little steering wheel icon near the top left corner.

I may be off since you are taking about a 2017 but on my 2016 the heated steering wheel was a option for the XLT's even with the 202a option package.

On the foot operated lift gate I have found it next to worthless. Mine has a mind of it's own. Sometimes it will work but the majority of the time it wont. One of these days I'll find the sensor that opens the gate and see if I can figure it out.

Might be worth a double check on the heated steering wheel. You can only turn it on from the climate page. Little steering wheel icon near the top left corner.
With the update version 3.0 the heated steering wheel can be turned ON/OFF from the Home screen.

Peter

I may be off since you are taking about a 2017 but on my 2016 the heated steering wheel was a option for the XLT's even with the 202a option package.

On the foot operated lift gate I have found it next to worthless. Mine has a mind of it's own. Sometimes it will work but the majority of the time it wont. One of these days I'll find the sensor that opens the gate and see if I can figure it out.
I think I mastered mine, but it took a little while. I sweep my foot from right to left quite high up almost touching the chassis and sweep in about a foot. Seems to work every time that way. Also sometimes triggers when I walk too close to it.

I think I mastered mine, but it took a little while. I sweep my foot from right to left quite high up almost touching the chassis and sweep in about a foot. Seems to work every time that way. Also sometimes triggers when I walk too close to it.
I just kick straight in and back out and have about a 95% success rate. I find if you are too close it tends not to work as well. Did you have the TSB performed for that issue with the 'gate' opening when you walk by?

Peter

Back