• Register Today It's free!

20in wheels

Dandoom

Reaction score
City, State
Key West, Fl.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Explorer
bought a 2010 Explorer has 20in polished alum factory wheels, looks like they were coated with something, got it home to clean, looks like part of the coating has come off. Is there anything I can do for these wheels

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is clear-Coat.

Same thing that's on the paint.

Paint stripper will remove the clear coat. (it will also ruin your tires!)

Best to dismount all the tires and strip the clear off. (nowhere near your truck!)

They do that to keep the wheels shinny on the dealer lot, but it only lasts a couple years. How thoughtful. . ...

Thanks I'll try that

Go get about 3 cans of "aircraft remover"

Dismount the tires from the wheels. Pull out the valve stems.

In a warm are outside ( over 75 degrees) spray the AR onto the wheels. You will see it turning yellow as it foams up. Coat them all well, then go back to the first wheel and start a second coat. Use rubber gloves and spray downwind. This stuff will burn you.

The clear coat will come off like a latex glove if you do this right. You should be able now to powerwash them off at a car wash which uses warm water, just beware of getting the stuff sprayed back on you. Once you have them all cleaned up and shiny, look for a powder coater in your area to re clear them for you. If you try to use off the shelf paint you will be back in this spot in a couple years.

Once the wheels are done, do not use any "safe for all wheels" cleaner on them. Mild soap and water only!!!

I personally would just strip and leave them raw.

You can polish them if you want the shinny look, or just use wheel cleaner to leave them "brushed" aluminum look.

Easier to maintain in the long run.

I personally would just strip and leave them raw.

You can polish them if you want the shinny look, or just use wheel cleaner to leave them "brushed" aluminum look.

Easier to maintain in the long run.

That can be true depending on where you live. Here were we get a lot of weather changes. Bare aluminum stains real bad when any liquid touches it and requires weekly elbow grease to keep looking good. A good coating will be wash and wear for the most part. I agree the true bare aluminum finish is hard to beat. Polished up well it can rival chrome. But man, that is tough to keep around here, unless you garage your car during bad weather.

Same prob in Key West huh, SALT!

When my Alcoa's get to the point that they want elbow grease, it's off to the truck wash to have them acid washed and leave em etched.

I now have a 2010 ford explorer limited I have a friend who has 4 2013 20'' explorer wheels I tried to put the 2013 on my 2010 the center hole was to small it seem the bolt hole pattern was the same and but the off set on the 2010 was 35mm and the 2013 was 44mm I don't know what that means. Is there anyway to make the 2013 fit the 2010 thanks

Back