• Register Today It's free!

20k mile oil change

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Time flies when you drive a lot. ..

The Amsoil Series 2000 0w30 (Dead Link Removed ) oil in my 99 SOHC has reached 22k miles. The vast majority of the miles are highway miles. Not a single drop has been used or leaked.

I changed it simply because I want to try Amsoil XL-7500 5w20 ( Dead Link Removed ) oil in my quest of increased gas mileage. I get my Amsoil products from AgExplorer ( Dead Link Removed ) ; simply e-mail my order to Gary and before I know it, the product is at my door, He provides excellent service and I highly recommend him. I used a Mobil 1 filter.

The old oil was sampled and sent off for analysis (Dead Link Removed ). I shall report the data when I get it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Damn Al, I have changed my Havoline 5W-30 at least 3 times since you have had your synthetic in your Ex!

And some say not to use synthetic because its more expensive.....

Al,
Did you change the filter any time within the 22k miles?

So you added a quart of oil every time you changed the filter?

I will look forword to what your analysis says. The last time Gerald did it, he stopped at 10k. Replenishing the oil supply one quart at a time over the length of 22k should lead to some decent numbers.

My analysis has been posted for each of the samples. I was going to go 35k, but want to try the 0w20 for increased mileage,

Oil analysis data....

ALUMINUM 7
CHROMIUM 2
IRON 20
COPPER 18
LEAD 20
TIN 3
MOLYBDENUM 8
NICKEL 3
MANGANESE 1
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 4
BORON 6
SILICON 14
SODIUM 8
CALCIUM 2398
MAGNESIUM 333
PHOSPHORUS 916
ZINC 1288
BARIUM 0

that makes no sense to me :confused:
what's all that mean? lol :rolleyes:

Aloha Buddy, Try getting in touch with Dave Mann at performanceoiltechnology.com. He markets AmsOil and he sent me some info saying 7500 AmsOil is marketed primarily to quick oil-change shops who want to quickly introduce AmsOil synthetic to their customers but not wanting to get smirks about 25,000 miles oil changes. 7500 series oil is meant to be changed more often (if only to calm the nerves of motorists who don't believe in extended oil changes) and if I understand the literature correctly, doesn't provide nearly as much protection as the oil you're currently using (that's the Severe Service 0W-30 oil, right?). I would stick with the grade/series you are using now - switching to 7500 series oil would end up with you changing oil more often with no real savings in time or money. As for the general issue of cost of syn vs. dino, I would pay small increase in cost to use syn, if only to prolong the life of engine components, keep sludge and crap to a minimum, and if an extra $5 for syn will lessen the wear and tear, then I'm all for it. I've used Mobil1 5W-30 since I got the truck and change oil every 7500 miles religiously. I would use AmsOil but the shipping to Hawaii is murder, on top of the $100 they charge for 0w-30 oil. I'm willing to spend $5 but not $70 over the performance I'd get with Amsoil. Mobil1 is easier on my wallet.

I gotta take some exception to this

Synthetic or not. oil gets dirtyit may not lose it's lubrication quality it still has dirt floating around after many miles. Sharp edged, gritty dirt floating and grinding against things with the nice lubricating oil as the carrier.

You are gutsy, I'd never let oil go more then 3000 miles unless I had a 5 gallon oil sump.
To each his own.

Oik filters take care of the "dirt" that you worry about.

Synthetic oil is perfectly safe for extended intervals.

Filters don't do a great job and Acids that are produced by combustion lay in the oil and kills bearings

Originally posted by Tony H
Filters don't do a great job and Acids that are produced by combustion lay in the oil and kills bearings

Take a real hard look at oil analysis results and you will see this is simply not true.

I assume all those are in micro grams?

Back