• Register Today It's free!

'21 Explorer Roof Cross Bars

dinologic

Reaction score
City, State
New Windsor
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer XLT
Hey all. First post. :) I just took home an XLT yesterday, white. AWD, lots of goodies. It's the most car I've every owned by far. I need to get cross bars for the roof rack and was wondering if I should just go with Ford OEM or something aftermarket. Recommendations appreciated, thx!

EDIT: I guess I should mention that I have a roof box that we use for vacations (it's one of those large Sears boxes...XCargo brand name) and I occasionally will haul lumber home from Home Depot...2x4s and such nothing major. I just don't want to even think about putting stuff inside at this point so it's gotta go on the roof.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
FYI, just in case you haven't read through the Owner's Manual to the weight limits.
1613937096500.png

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
FYI, just in case you haven't read through the Owner's Manual to the weight limits.
View attachment 327788

Peter
I hadn't. Thank you for that. I was unaware of the major difference between with and without the moonroof. I do have the moonroof so I guess I'm going to have to be careful. 😬

I don't think anyone has ever definitively answered why the limits are there but I was guessing it has to do with vehicle stability. I did see another post that mentioned that when driving with a load on the roof, that the weight of the load actually increases the faster you drive.

Peter

I don't think anyone has ever definitively answered why the limits are there but I was guessing it has to do with vehicle stability. I did see another post that mentioned that when driving with a load on the roof, that the weight of the load actually increases the faster you drive.

Peter
What if I drive in reverse? :D

Just came from my Ford dealer as I am looking for a pair of crossbars for my 21 Explorer and apparently Ford is not making them any more as my parts department guy said Ford is now using Yakima crossbars, & he showed me a picture. Pretty ugly IMO as they appeared to be generic crossbars that would fit a multitude of vehicles, and they stick out over the edges of the factory mounting bars - not nice looking at all.

Does anyone know if crossbars are available for the 21 Explorer that look like previous factory crossbars?

Just came from my Ford dealer as I am looking for a pair of crossbars for my 21 Explorer and apparently Ford is not making them any more as my parts department guy said Ford is now using Yakima crossbars, & he showed me a picture. Pretty ugly IMO as they appeared to be generic crossbars that would fit a multitude of vehicles, and they stick out over the edges of the factory mounting bars - not nice looking at all.

Does anyone know if crossbars are available for the 21 Explorer that look like previous factory crossbars?
Ford still has them on their website. https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/a...ross-bars-o-e-2-piece-set-clamp-on-11856693-1

Thanks, but here is the message I got when I plugged in my 2021 Explorer VIN while trying to order these:

"This part does not fit your vehicle. Please select a new vehicle to view related parts."

Thanks, but here is the message I got when I plugged in my 2021 Explorer VIN while trying to order these:

"This part does not fit your vehicle. Please select a new vehicle to view related parts."
Does your Explorer have the factory side rails? If so, I would think it should fit. You could try the online chat with Ford also.

It seems the rails were optional on the ST only.

Peter

Does your Explorer have the factory side rails? If so, I would think it should fit. You could try the online chat with Ford also.
Yes - have a limited, and the side rails are standard on the Limited. I've had like 10-12 Limited or Platinum Expedition or Explorer's over the past 25-30 years and the below picture is what I have always had and what I would like to get. The guy at the parts counter at my local Ford dealership said that "Ford is outsourcing a lot more parts now and their crossbars are a generic model made by Yakima." IMO the Yakima crossbars are fugly (although someone with a Subaru would probably like them), so I would like to find a pair of crossbars that blend in more like the below picture.

1616441540650.png

Try this one without using the VIN number. https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/a...ross-bars-o-e-2-piece-set-clamp-on-11856693-1
Then I would try chat and give them your VIN to confirm fit. This dealer has better pricing than most.
Good luck. (I agree the after market cross bars are ugly.)
Thanks, I'll take a look.

One thing I'm sure most Explorer owners do not know is that the factory side rails are not equal distance apart in the front vs the back - prolly a little tidbit that no one really wants to know except me. Yes, the front side rails are +/- 48" apart, and the rear of the rails are +/- 46" apart. Why? Who knows. Maybe all of my Expeditions and Explorers have been like that, but they all came from the factory with factory cross rails, so I never noticed.

I don't know for sure but several overhead shots I've seen of vehicles show the front of the vehicle a little wider than the back. Not sure if the Explorer is that way as well.

Peter

Hey all. First post. :) I just took home an XLT yesterday, white. AWD, lots of goodies. It's the most car I've every owned by far. I need to get cross bars for the roof rack and was wondering if I should just go with Ford OEM or something aftermarket. Recommendations appreciated, thx!

EDIT: I guess I should mention that I have a roof box that we use for vacations (it's one of those large Sears boxes...XCargo brand name) and I occasionally will haul lumber home from Home Depot...2x4s and such nothing major. I just don't want to even think about putting stuff inside at this point so it's gotta go on the roof.
I have a 21 XLT (without a moonroof). I did get the factory/OEM crossbars (the link above is what I have). The front/rear are different lengths... A big "FRONT" sticker on the front one when unpacking it.

I've had Yakima rails/towers on other cars, and they work fine (well, the round/non-aero bars whistle above 45mph), but on cost and capacity it is about the same (yup, towers and bars will be around $300, less on Craigslist).
Advantage for the aftermarket bars is an effort at security with locks. The OEM bars just have an oddball Torx wrench to install and "secure" them.

Try this one without using the VIN number. https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/a...ross-bars-o-e-2-piece-set-clamp-on-11856693-1
Then I would try chat and give them your VIN to confirm fit. This dealer has better pricing than most.
Good luck. (I agree the after market cross bars are ugly.)

Yea, those are the same as in the picture above and when I put my VIN in to order a pair I get this message:

"This part does not fit your venicle. Please select a new vehicel to view related parts."

Although I can't be sure, I would think that the 2020 and 2021 would likely be the same in regards to the cross bars.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Although I can't be sure, I would think that the 2020 and 2021 would likely be the same in regards to the cross bars.

Peter

Nope. The 2021 is a redesign from the 2020, and the crossbars available for the 2020 will not fit the 2021 or the 2022, and my Explorer is a 2022.

Back