'21 No Longer Included Items or Missing? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'21 No Longer Included Items or Missing?

EXFAN

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 LTD 4WD
2009, XLT
Hi Everyone, a few items I think should be included on my 21 Limited according to the "2021 Explorer Models and Packages" brochure or with the case of an owner's manual pouch should still be included. Feedback on what or if I'm missing and if the factory or dealers offered any free replacements or remedies based on your experiences is appreciated. My build date is March '21 and I mention this because "running changes" do occur during a model year production.

1. No owner's manual zip pouch to contain the different books. The salesman who I know well, says the last month or so vehicles have been delivered without them. I called Ford Customer Service but they are not really Ford and only a Call Center who forwards messages. Did your '21 have a zip pouch for the manual and books?

2. No Cargo Net. I wasn't looking for it because the "Cargo Management System" is an option. However, I think the Cargo Net is not the same and is mentioned as "Standard" on all models. Did your "21 come with a Cargo Net?

3. Illuminated Glove Box. Mine does not have a light. Does your '21 glove box light?

4. Illuminated Center Console. I've read the posts here and it appears this feature was dropped for '21. It's not mentioned in the brochure so I'll have to retrofit at my cost.

Thanks,
Paul

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Aviator did not come with a cargo net but the Manual and booklets which haven't been unsealed yet, are in a nice black leather pouch.

Peter

I've seen where someone else mentioned no glove box or center console light. Not sure about the cargo net.

Hi Everyone, a few items I think should be included on my 21 Limited according to the "2021 Explorer Models and Packages" brochure or with the case of an owner's manual pouch should still be included. Feedback on what or if I'm missing and if the factory or dealers offered any free replacements or remedies based on your experiences is appreciated. My build date is March '21 and I mention this because "running changes" do occur during a model year production.

1. No owner's manual zip pouch to contain the different books. The salesman who I know well, says the last month or so vehicles have been delivered without them. I called Ford Customer Service but they are not really Ford and only a Call Center who forwards messages. Did your '21 have a zip pouch for the manual and books?

2. No Cargo Net. I wasn't looking for it because the "Cargo Management System" is an option. However, I think the Cargo Net is not the same and is mentioned as "Standard" on all models. Did your "21 come with a Cargo Net?

3. Illuminated Glove Box. Mine does not have a light. Does your '21 glove box light?

4. Illuminated Center Console. I've read the posts here and it appears this feature was dropped for '21. It's not mentioned in the brochure so I'll have to retrofit at my cost.

Thanks,
Paul
Here is what I can answer from my 2021 Explorer ST (built Dec 2020)

1. There was no zip pouch, but there was a cheaper generic pouch. The one I had in my 2013 Focus ST and 2019 Edge ST (Ford bought this back) were much better quality.

2. I can't really comment on this as I ordered the vehicle with the cargo management system

3. No light in the glove box, cost cutting I'm sure

4. Again, no light and once again cost cutting

You'll also notice that there is no washer for the front camera that the 2020 model had. And there is no post to hold the floormat on the pass side which was there on 2020 (this one actually annoys me since the explorer mats have the whole in the pass side).

You'll also notice that there is no washer for the front camera that the 2020 model had. And there is no post to hold the floormat on the pass side which was there on 2020 (this one actually annoys me since the explorer mats have the whole in the pass side).
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I wonder which trim level this applies to?
1623081452173.png

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I wonder which trim level this applies to?
View attachment 331769
Peter
Maybe the Platinum still has it if any? I feel like having the "If Equipped" statement in the docs saves them legally even if they removed it from all trims, because then it just wasn't equipped. I mean the 2021's are a bit cheaper than the 2020's, but the $0.02 they saved by removing the floormat post is one they could have passed on to the buyer.

Maybe the Platinum still has it if any? I feel like having the "If Equipped" statement in the docs saves them legally even if they removed it from all trims, because then it just wasn't equipped. I mean the 2021's are a bit cheaper than the 2020's, but the $0.02 they saved by removing the floormat post is one they could have passed on to the buyer.
It saves them from nothing legally. I’m certain there’s a statement that says they don’t guarantee any of the manual is free of misprints.

It’s possible it’s simply supply chain issues, and they’re deleting stuff they can’t get. That may change as parts become available.

I have a 21 limited.

My suv did not come with a manual holder, I wish I would of taken the one out of my 18 when I traded it in.

I do not have a glove box or center console light. This is very irritating as I have a light under my head unit that essentially does nothing.

Mine did come with a cargo net

I always carry this in the center console even though mine has the lights in question.

Peter

P1150045b.jpg

I have a 21 limited.

My suv did not come with a manual holder, I wish I would of taken the one out of my 18 when I traded it in.....
You probably meant to say "would've".

2021 Lincoln Aviators now do not come with all of the plastic engine covers that the 2020 had. Also the temperature indicators on the center console above where you change the temperature up and down has been deleted. I think the soft close doors got eliminated unless you buy the Black Label models.

Ford always does this with new models. All of the nice details on the first year and then the new year they find out what can be eliminated to save a dollar.

Thanks. Without the correction I was totally lost.
Not a problem Mbrooks420 😁😁.

But back to the topic...
I would install some LED lights in the compartments. In fact, that's what I'm going to do when I'll start working on the interior. Make them run constantly with ignition ON.
BUT strongly advise to use voltage regulator(they are cheap on eBay) so it's constantly running not more than 12v, because most of those LEDs cannot handle anything over 12.5v and as you all know, when the vehicle is running, alternator produces over 14v and that's what a lot of people see when LEDs become dim and burn out.

Thanks. Without the correction I was totally lost.
Seriously, I re-read the post I made and was completely lost. My daughter must of been hitting buttons on my keyboard.

2021 Lincoln Aviators now do not come with all of the plastic engine covers that the 2020 had. Also the temperature indicators on the center console above where you change the temperature up and down has been deleted. I think the soft close doors got eliminated unless you buy the Black Label models.

Ford always does this with new models. All of the nice details on the first year and then the new year they find out what can be eliminated to save a dollar.
They must have moved the temperature indicators somewhere else. Otherwise, why have the adjustment switches?
I did a quick look via the Build & Price tool and didn't see soft-close doors on any trims. Not sure I'd want that in any case.

Peter

I have a 21 limited.

My suv did not come with a manual holder, I wish I would of taken the one out of my 18 when I traded it in.

I do not have a glove box or center console light. This is very irritating as I have a light under my head unit that essentially does nothing.

Mine did come with a cargo net
Sould have kept my manual pouch from my '18 too. Amazon has some zip pouches for the manuals which seem better and offer more organizational compartments so I'm going to grab one of those.

Thanks for all the replies. It seems many are missing something or at least expected it.

+1 on Ford cheaping out. Years ago some of the cheapest cars had a glove box light. My '72 Olds Cutlass Supreme had a glove box light and center console storage compartment light too.

I'm guessing cargo nets are not included anymore or mine was robbed from my vehicle for another vehicle that was sold and missing one. The glove box light seems to have been dropped for sure for '21 but still listed as included. Maybe it's an "early vs late" production change? My LTD was built 3/21. All are minor disappointments in my "big picture" as we really like the vehicle.

Attached is the sales literature I referenced. It's for sales staff only and not advertising like a showroom brochure. Maybe it's not updated as quickly as the factory running changes during the model year?

Attachments

• 2021 Explorer Models and Packages.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 146

They must have moved the temperature indicators somewhere else. Otherwise, why have the adjustment switches?
I did a quick look via the Build & Price tool and didn't see soft-close doors on any trims. Not sure I'd want that in any case.

Peter
The temperature indication is also on the touch screen above in each corner. The ones down by the adjustment switches were redundant, so they got rid of them on the 2021.

The temperature indication is also on the touch screen above in each corner. ...................................................................
Not on mine (Homescreen). Perhaps on the 2021. That still begs the question why not leave them where they were?

Peter

Not on mine (Homescreen). Perhaps on the 2021. That still begs the question why not leave them where they were?

Peter
Mine had it until I did a Sync software update a year ago. That was the main difference in the updated version, no more temperature indicator at the top corners.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Peter
I really like the soft close doors on my 20 Reserve II. Part of the convenience package I think. Don’t have to slam the doors and never have to reopen and close to make sure they are latched. I’ll have to check my Sync display for the Temp readings for the interior. Haven’t noticed them missing but since I use the lower ones i haven’t really noticed.

Back