• Register Today It's free!

21mpg 97 5.0????

mountaineerbeast

Reaction score
City, State
Socorro, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer
OK, so i was going over my receipts from my drive from PA to NM and i noticed a serious anomaly. All of a sudden my Mountaineer with AWD went from about 17-18 mpg with continuous throttle to over 21mpg with throttle that wasn't really even close to the same for very long:D. This anomaly occurred after filling up at a marathon next to a body of water (a boat launch somewhere in Virginia). The pump did in fact have a sticker that read "contains up to 10% ethanol." :/
How it this even possible in my serious gas guzzler.
Note that it never came close to that fuel mileage for the rest of the trip.
I also added maybe a little more Star-tron than usual, but that has never caused that much of an increase in mpg.
Is it possible that the fuel that said it was rated a 87 octane was really higher octane?

The closest it got to that was 18 after filling up at a gas station the was confirmed to have no ethanol.

Please also note that it actually gets the best fuel mileage at 75-80 MPH. Even 85.

was the next tank really bad mileage? Maybe that pump shut off early and didnt fill the truck all the way

I got about 20.5mpg on my trip to philly and back in July. Did roughly 75 the entire way, in 105+ degree weather with the AC on 65degrees and max fan.

I could only ever get roughly 19mpg prior, but I'm chalking that up to the old transmission and failing torque converter.

If for some reason the station was using pure gas, and no ethanol which is possible for a waterside station, that would explain a jump. But it could be a click-off difference as tanbuddy said...

I'm happy, I pulled 21.1mpg with Deuce fully loaded this weekend going up north and back. :thumbsup:

Back