• Register Today It's free!

21N01 Cooling Fan Motor Relay

DelcoGary

Reaction score
City, State
Delaware County PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Explorer XLT 4wd 2.3L
So I see that there is the 21N01 Cooling Fan Relay "Field Service Action". Anyone know anything about this one? I found out because it showed up on my FordPass app.

So far in the two years that I have had this Explorer, it's had the toe link (2x), roof rack trim, transmission "Field Service Action", EPAS rack replaced, sunroof leak, and now this on top of whatever the previous owner had to deal with. Pretty amazing. I must have a Monday or a Friday car when the Chicago plant wasn't at their best.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did not find anything with an Internet search or a search of the 5th gen forum. Your post is the only one that shows "21N01".

Peter

Did not find anything with an Internet search or a search of the 5th gen forum. Your post is the only one that shows "21N01".

Peter
Here is a snap from the FordPass app.

Screenshot_20210821-214410.png

So I see that there is the 21N01 Cooling Fan Relay "Field Service Action". Anyone know anything about this one? I found out because it showed up on my FordPass app.

So far in the two years that I have had this Explorer, it's had the toe link (2x), roof rack trim, transmission "Field Service Action", EPAS rack replaced, sunroof leak, and now this on top of whatever the previous owner had to deal with. Pretty amazing. I must have a Monday or a Friday car when the Chicago plant wasn't at their best.
It showed-up on mine, also. I can't find any info either. ???

It showed-up on mine, also. I can't find any info either. ???
According to the Ford website "live chat", Ford will extend the warranty on the high speed cooling fan motor relay to 10 years or 150,000 miles which ever comes first. Letters will be going out to affected owners on or about Sept. 6.

I got a recall notice on my Ford Owner website.
Description
HIGH SPEED COOLING FAN MOTOR RELAY (TRG 12/2)
Campaign#
21N01
I have not heard mention of this, so is this something new?
Update: I spoke to a service manager and the problem that this recall relates to is that when you turn off the Explorer and the cooling fans run for an excessive amount of time after the vehicle is turned off. Then you know that there is a problem that needs to be addressed.

I got a recall notice on my Ford Owner website.
Description
HIGH SPEED COOLING FAN MOTOR RELAY (TRG 12/2)
Campaign#
21N01
I have not heard mention of this, so is this something new?
Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the 'Search' feature.

Peter

I guess I am the next contestant regarding this notification. My fan is running as it should (knock on wood).

mkOgec2.jpg

In case you can't get around to the dealer for the recall, on my 2018 Limited, the Cooling Fan relays are:
11 Right Fan
20 Left fan
21 Series/Parallel (High Speed)
All in the underhood fuse/relay box.

Fritz

In case you can't get around to the dealer for the recall, on my 2018 Limited, the Cooling Fan relays are:
11 Right Fan
20 Left fan
21 Series/Parallel (High Speed)
All in the underhood fuse/relay box.

Fritz
Did you have to replace yours or is it simply the relays that needs to be replaced..?

I guess I am the next contestant regarding this notification. My fan is running as it should (knock on wood).

View attachment 342862
I also received this recently which explains what this is about. I think I received the cooling fan and the toe link recall letters the same day!

Did you have to replace yours or is it simply the relays that needs to be replaced..?
Getting to the dealer right now is a PITA with all the backlogs. In case your fans don't run or don't shut off, these are the relays to check. May be a good idea to pull them and clean the contacts in case your dealers are as slow as mine.
Fritz

Getting to the dealer right now is a PITA with all the backlogs. In case your fans don't run or don't shut off, these are the relays to check. May be a good idea to pull them and clean the contacts in case your dealers are as slow as mine.
Fritz
I also received this letter. I have access to OASIS at work and looked it up. The field service action has them removing and replacing the terminals for the cooling fan relay and relocating it to another spot in the underhood fuse panel, similar to what they do for the F150s with the fuel pump relay/fuse issue.

I also received this letter. I have access to OASIS at work and looked it up. The field service action has them removing and replacing the terminals for the cooling fan relay and relocating it to another spot in the underhood fuse panel, similar to what they do for the F150s with the fuel pump relay/fuse issue.
Are they relocating all of the relays or just 1?

I see 11, 20, 21, and 22 are related to the cooling fans but 22 is the only one with a current rating (25A).

Also wanted to add that I think my recall letter is coming today (Informed Delivery). It took them this long to mail it to me.

Are they relocating all of the relays or just 1?

I see 11, 20, 21, and 22 are related to the cooling fans but 22 is the only one with a current rating (25A).

Also wanted to add that I think my recall letter is coming today (Informed Delivery). It took them this long to mail it to me.
I believe they are just moving R11 and putting it in the R24 spot, which would require switching from the rectangular micro relay to the larger square conventional relay.

I was told by my dealer it was an inspection only and that they would "fix it" only if the relay or wires were messed up. Warranty is increased to 8 years and 100k miles on this part.

Fritz

So 11 is the RH fan, 20 is the LH fan, 21 is the series/parallel relay for the fans, and 22 is a 25A fuse for the fan. 11, 20, and 21 are the same high power mini relays. I'm not sure why they'd only move 11 to the 24 slot which is the same size as 14 (standard relay, looks to be 70A rated, for the PCM).

So 11 is the RH fan, 20 is the LH fan, 21 is the series/parallel relay for the fans, and 22 is a 25A fuse for the fan. 11, 20, and 21 are the same high power mini relays. I'm not sure why they'd only move 11 to the 24 slot which is the same size as 14 (standard relay, looks to be 70A rated, for the PCM).
11 was the only change listed in the service information. Maybe the other relays don't experience the overheating issue? As for the relay change to the larger conventional type, it may just be the convenience of having the 24 spot open for the relocation.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So to be resurrect this. My 18 Sport had the relays moved a few months ago. I’ve noticed now the secondary cooling fan only runs on high and runs every 45 seconds and is super loud. Anyone have the same result ? Trying to see if this is the new normal.

Back