• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

21Robbie21 SAS

JS91X

Reaction score
City, State
cumming, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
robbie if you get 44044s then i want you waggys :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

21robbie21

Elite SPort
Reaction score
City, State
duluth, ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
explorer sport 2001
ok this weekend i came home and basicly put everything together but when it was put on its weight the shackle was kaput and the steering box was too far reward and touched the differnetial after the springs/shackles went flat, so i need to move the rear hangers further back and the steering box forward. I have already made my own steering extensiopn with the one for my body lift and part of the old steering shaft. Also the power steering lines have not been connected. after i make these adjustments hopefully it will be driving. ill get some pics up on wednsday probably

JS91X

Reaction score
City, State
cumming, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
sweetness...ever get that brake line fixed ?? did you figure out your ps lines ??

21robbie21

Elite SPort
Reaction score
City, State
duluth, ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
explorer sport 2001
ya i did all the brakes, havent done the powers steering but i know what has to be done

JS91X

Reaction score
City, State
cumming, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
i take it you didnt get pics did ya ?? :D who welded for you ??

21robbie21

Elite SPort
Reaction score
City, State
duluth, ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
explorer sport 2001
well this isnt finished, but its progress. My dads friend who works in a body shop did the welding. As i stated in my previous post, the rear hangers need to be moved back and the steering box forward and it should be drivable. Sorry the pics aren't great it was dark and wet.
its amazing how much surface rust shows up after only sitting outside for three days, even if it did rain for two.

no quite the shackle angle i was going for

steering box is too far back and interferes witht he differential

RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
Its getting there. I hope you are planning on adding some braces to that rear hanger. Two steps forward one step back.

'97 V8

Reaction score
City, State
ft. knox ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 mounty 5.0 4x4 baby!!
Very nice. Definatly add some bracing as mentioned above. At first glance i was wondering, where the hell is his shackle, then i saw it, maxed out and flat lol. Cant wait to see some daytime shots...you will post some up in the morning right?

21robbie21

Elite SPort
Reaction score
City, State
duluth, ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
explorer sport 2001
thanks, ya bracing is in the plan, no daylight shots now bc my car is in the atl and im in athens, the reason why i have only worked on it three times in the past two months, so while i was at home working most the day today i wont be there tommrow to take pics, but next opportunity(prob this weekend) i definately will

zainyD

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeland, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Ranger 4x4 XLT
Any particular reason you went with the shackle in front instead of on the back hanger? Just wondering.

Looks like you are making good progress with a lot of little stuff to do. Are you going to box the ends of your spring hanger? Are you going to keep the body lift or remove it?

Looking forward to seeing some more/better pics.

21robbie21

Elite SPort
Reaction score
City, State
duluth, ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
explorer sport 2001
Well orginally i did have it shackle rearward and the way my shackles and hangers are it is interchangeable, but after i came upon my two problems, no shackle angle and differential hitting pitman arm i thought if i flipped them around it would move the axle because the springs are offset, but it didnt. When i move the rear hangers i will flip them back. Yes im going to box the ends and yes im going to keep the body lift, i mean its already there why take it out, it doesnt appear that im going to have excessive lift for my tires otherwise id consider it.

JS91X

Reaction score
City, State
cumming, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
dang man looks good, you shoulda called me to come help...should have my yota runnin in the next 2 weeks (waitin on my 5.29 gears to get installed) :D...BTW south got beat like 43-0 by north gwinnet tonight

21robbie21

Elite SPort
Reaction score
City, State
duluth, ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
explorer sport 2001
97sportfl said:
how much did every thing cost u
with tax? $67.04

i mean around 3k but im not done yet, and there are so many routes you can go and it all depends on what materials you own i spent ATLEAST 500 on things like tools, paint, blades, bolts etc, and i probably have $200 worth of extra parts in my basement. If you plan it out well and budget yourself, you can do it cheaper. If i had owned a few more items or budgeted better i could have saved probably 500.

97sportfl

Reaction score
City, State
somewhere,fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
z-man
does it cost more if it only 2 wd

JS91X

Reaction score
City, State
cumming, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
does it cost more if it only 2 wd
definately does..he still needs 4wd tranny, t-case, then drive shafts to work with it..regear the front and rear

21robbie21

Elite SPort
Reaction score
City, State
duluth, ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
explorer sport 2001
definately does..he still needs 4wd tranny, t-case, then drive shafts to work with it..regear the front and rear
to answer youre question accurately, no it costs less to do a SAS for only two wheel drive, dont have to regear front, dont have to extend front driveshaft. But if you want to convert from 2 to 4 and do a sas like me then yes it costs a lot more

james i would advise against you driving your car ever. This weekend i drove my car without steering to get it out and what do you know it doesnt make it 100 feet before your welds on the rear perches break and the axles spins and the driveshaft comes out.:fire: you might want to work on that

lifeguard379

Reaction score
City, State
sacremento,ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 eddie bauer 2 door
that sucks. mine did that when i was turning it around to do the front of my sas. lol

JS91X

Reaction score
City, State
cumming, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
dude, i only tacked them on like you told me to...did your mechanic use thomas' welder ?? i was iffy about the whole thing because the welder had only 85 amps and wasnt getting good enough penetration for a good strong tack..mine has 200+ i would have brought my welder but we couldnt use it as you didnt have a 220v plug in the basement..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

21robbie21

Elite SPort
Reaction score
City, State
duluth, ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
explorer sport 2001
dude, i only tacked them on like you told me to...did your mechanic use thomas' welder ?? i was iffy about the whole thing because the welder had only 85 amps and wasnt getting good enough penetration for a good strong tack..mine has 200+ i would have brought my welder but we couldnt use it as you didnt have a 220v plug in the basement..
no he used his own welder and it worked on only 110v and did just fine. And it definately wasnt just tacks, you lined the hole thing, but whatever dont worry about it. I am just worried about you fully welding your own car.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S let's see your steering box on gen 2 sas Offroad Projects 4
ovrlndr Jay's '92 SAS on F150's Offroad Projects 1
KurtECV The Black Pearl SAS and build Offroad Projects 362
G 2001 ex SAS project Offroad Projects 4
C Chato's '98 V8 Mountaineer SAS build Offroad Projects 4
9 2000 5.0 sas question Offroad Projects 3
F Dana 44 purchased, SAS questions! Offroad Projects 7
L SAS on tons and 40" Offroad Projects 2
SVO42 mushy brakes after SAS Offroad Projects 6
A 2005 sport trac Dana 30 sas (Version 2.0) Offroad Projects 24
madbutcher Madbutchers shitmachine sas Offroad Projects 93
1 D30 sas/soa Offroad Projects 4
F FullBlownModz Dana 44 SAS Build Offroad Projects 18
D Project "Twisted Sister" SAS Front Dana 44, Rear Ford 9" Offroad Projects 46
A Explorer SAS or not for daily driver? Offroad Projects 1
boominXplorer Superduty D50 axle for SAS? Give me your thoughts........ Offroad Projects 7
JTX JTX's Return! 1997 Mountaineer Build Thread SAS/4wd Conversion Offroad Projects 65
CodePoet 1st Gen SAS Toyota Steering Box?? Offroad Projects 3
W Woody's SAS Build Offroad Projects 4
MidnightRebel07 2003 Sport Trac - SAS, SOA started and here's a sneek peek. Offroad Projects 118
I Getting closer to my full width 3 link sas need some help Offroad Projects 5
T Ford explorer sas project Offroad Projects 5
Stic-o 2nd gen SAS steering rubbing on exhaust manifold Offroad Projects 17
A sport track dana 30 sas project Offroad Projects 97
R 2002 Sport Trac SAS rack/pinion Offroad Projects 4
jprentice94 1st gen explorer sas Offroad Projects 20
B SAS for 2002 ford ranger Offroad Projects 0
D dersch6221992 Dana 44 SAS, with a rear SOA Offroad Projects 18
BKennedy Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread Offroad Projects 2664
T 99 Explorer 1 ton SAS Trail Machine Build Offroad Projects 10
W 99 mounty sas thread Offroad Projects 0
K SAS to do or not to do? Offroad Projects 4
blueka Pickle 2.0 - Full Width SAS/SOA 4406 swap Offroad Projects 208
D 01 Sport Trac SAS Offroad Projects 33
C 94 explorer. Need help with SAS Offroad Projects 1
Y YoungMounty's '97 Mountaineer SAS Build Thread Offroad Projects 14
N SAS with ABS? Offroad Projects 24
X xeek's full width sas Offroad Projects 74
Stang5lgt Bronco II SAS Dana 30/8.8.... Offroad Projects 7
C Rocky Mountain Ranger '92 SAS Offroad Projects 32
Stang5lgt Project Lazyboy SAS... Offroad Projects 277
M 94 Re-SAS....leafs to links Offroad Projects 7
jjaganashi Gauging interest on SAS Offroad Projects 10
jjaganashi SAS "Betsy" 1-ton Offroad Projects 90
M mjc79's sas project Offroad Projects 7
LIFTEDXPLODER96 oh ya know just another 2nd gen sas in the works Offroad Projects 34
1-MEAN-X Project Green Hornet '01 Sport SAS Offroad Projects 159
turboexplorer Turboexplorer's Full Width SAS Build Thread Offroad Projects 965
D My no-budget 91 Sport SAS Offroad Projects 37
Four0Sport Jack's SAS version 3.0 Offroad Projects 270