21Robbie21 SAS | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

21Robbie21 SAS

ok so last night i went and picked up a '84 wagoneer D44 Full Width or WT, Driver Drop, Non-Vac Disconnect, W/Locking Hubs, Complete, its got rust and mud, but it seems good to go. I'm going to run leaves for simplicity. I am 2wd right now and the SAS will be the first step toward 4wd. The axle is 63" wide so i think im going to run spacers in the back. I want to do this as cheap as possible. I want to run 36" Iroks or another 36/37 when im finished. Im hoping to finish in ~3 months, but im not sure how realistic that is. Bryan (BMXking) lives close to me, and if he ever finishes his :D he will have the PRIVELEDGE of helping me :thumbsup: i am open to any suggestions, ideas, tips, tricks, specs, references, or anything that might help me do this project professionally, cheaply, and quickly. I just spent 200 on this axle, ordered a yakima roof basket, and a new cobra CB and antenna, so im outta cash for now, and im going to PC for spring break on April 1st so i might not take any steps these next two-three weeks. But after that im anxious!

sorry the rugs arent a good background, but its in the unfinished part of my basement and thats whats on the floor and damn this thing is heavy!
100_1347.jpg

100_1351.jpg

100_1348.jpg

you think its dirty now? this is after i hosed and scrubbed of the initial Cm thick covering of mud

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah you're right.. plus at 14.5" wide, it'd probably look too wide.

JS91X said:
bryan im gonna run 36s after my sas....does that give me some bling ?!?!?!?!?!?! :D
I'm running 36" tsl-sx on my SAS- but only cauz I got it cheap from a local person/guy/human.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Sorry James, 36s have less of a bling factor than 35s. :p Plus, who says you're running 36s? I've paid under $400 for mine and Robbie's 37x12.50r16 w/ almost all the tread left. Maybe I can get lucky and find you a set for yours for under 400 too. :D

boy i hope so...them 37s you have are efin bad a$$

They sure are ;) Like I said...you should've come today. You would've been leaving with a set of 37s in the back of your truck. :D

time for an update :D

well the last two weeks ive been doing full time at Home depot and its been struggling, but starting next week ill be back on like 22 hours and il have time to work on my baby, ive gotten my manual hubs and steering components and havent even had time to open the boxes, much more take some pics for you guys, im ordering wheel/hub assemblys finally, and new ujoints, and new calipers(wrong ones before) and ive waited around so long i cant return the other ones, damnit, and now im looking at wheels(ill post some pics of my parneli jones dirst grips too) and im trying to get 16x10, but might go with 16x 8, and even the cheapo steelies are atleast $100, 4wheels parts has a $150 rebate on its procomp wheels right now and i figure im spending 400 on new wheels anyways, might as well make it 450 and get something cool, so what do you guys think about these ? Also im ordering the perches and ubolt kit from tts fabworks. im looking for a 4.88 gear set for my 8.8 and will have to order wheel spacers also. IM going to need to get perches for the rear to do SOA and brakes lines and im going to need shocks and, what else am i missing? NOTE. remember this is only 2wd still so i dont need front gears or driveshaft bull yet
$164 rotor/hub, caliper, ujoint
$450 wheels
$109 perches and u bolt kit
$200 min for gears and master kit
$200 gear install (bryan claims of a place)
$200 shocks
$15 rear perches
$75 mounting and balancing
$~100welding
$~30? gear fluid
$~150? wheel spacers
$245aussie locker shipped
$~100 extrA bull (paint , hardware)
--------

$2038
ive got about $900 in cash right now and about $1400 in checks from graduation, im supposed to keep all those checks as savings, my paycheck this week will probably only be like 200 from getting hours cut and going on a cruise, but next week will be like 600 from working full time i figure ill do the gears last maybe get the axle underneath before i get more money and can just have it running. like i said ill get some eyecandy coming to you soon enough. Any advice is welcome. Thanks

Well, welding would be free. William would weld it all for free any Tuesday that you're at TowPro. Those wheels look pretty good, but that sure is a lot of backspacing. 4.5...I've got 4.25 and obviously have full widths. Also, those wheels are like 145 each = 580 or so for a set of 4. How does that make 450? :p My cheapo steelies were 16x8 4.25 backspacing, same bolt pattern you'll need, etc were like 70-75 each. When I just ordered my "keystone" wheel (keystone is where we get parts from, and they honestly just stuck a sticker over the American Racing sticker on the box :D) for my spare, it was 67 or so. Same specs as my other wheels. Up to you. Bling is cool tho. :D

theyre 155 each and i rounded that to 600 total and i said there was a 150 rebate on procomp wheels makin it 450

i couldnt figure out how to get prices on that site u referenced and i checked 4wheel parts and they didnt have a 16 wheel with 5x5.5

hmm.. that's wierd. It used to be on there b/c I was gonna order them for mine. :confused: The link I posted was just to show you a picture of them in black.

picture update

New small spindles from Zainy
100_1446.jpg

100_1447.jpg

WARN premium locking hubs
100_1448.jpg

New steering components from team grandwagoneer.com
100_1449.jpg

100_1450.jpg

New ball joints, the first toime teamgrandwagoneer sent the steering and balljoints i ordered at the same time they used a separate box for steering and balljoints, the box with the steering components was lost/stolen at UPS and they paid for teamgrand wagoneer to reship the order so i got two sets of ball joints :D
100_1451.jpg

100_1452.jpg

37x12.5r16 Parnelli Jones dirt grips $375 used (not the best quality pics)
100_1453.jpg

100_1455.jpg

100_1456.jpg

100_1459.jpg

ouuu an update :D

I got my rotor/hub assembly in yesterday along with the correct calipers and some u joints. I went out and bought an anlge grinder some extra jack stands, paint, and some other junk. What do you guys think about painting the knucles and differential cover red and everything else black?

I just finished grinding off my dust shields. Im going to rent a balljoint press today to change those. When ive researched brake setups everyone had gotten a shop do to it or had rubicon express brake lines. IS one end caliper specific and the other end generic or will i have to get something custom made with a waggy caliper connector and an explorer opposite end?

Also considering i dont have a transfercase or driveshaft, what should I base my pinion angle on? i can always change it later, but how should it be now?

What other little things am I going to need for brakes and steering? :roll:

cant find the camera right now, but ill get some pics later. :thumbsup:

The sooner i get these answered the sooner ill finish ;) Thanks as always guys.

idk if black/red will go with your white sploder, but its yours do wtf you wanna

Yeah, black red, and white would look horrible in combination.

sofia_vergara_red_black_white_dress.jpg

I would probably steer away from painting the diff cover a bright color. I did mine blue and I am going to change it to a gray. Blue draws too much attention. :D

That color combo will be fine. That's what I am using. Black/Grey/Red on a white truck. ;)

21robbie21 said:
Also considering i dont have a transfercase or driveshaft, what should I base my pinion angle on? i can always change it later, but how should it be now?
I believe the transmission's tailshaft is parallel to the rear output flange (it just makes sense that way) so you can base the angle of the rear pinion on that. For the front, I'm assuming its a double cardan so I guess you can just measure where the front output flange would be and aim the front differentail to that.

21robbie21 said:
The sooner i get these answered the sooner ill finish ;) Thanks as always guys.
Yes master :p

updates ??

Back