22" Wheels For Explorer | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

22" Wheels For Explorer

I know someone at ATD AMERICAN TIRE DIST. $185 a rim and $235 per tire.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have those same wheels in all chrome waiting to go on in the spring. I believe ours is the will be the first on those wheels.

A5CFB33C-44DE-4C82-B033-0681BBF67E14_zpsszlpedt0.jpg

A22B57D5-42CC-411A-857C-E42F9B09B95D_zps6zvtorrs.jpg

NICE slik!! I guess being in Florida is a great advantage. No tire swapping and waiting for the salty roads to pass. Soon as they come in I'll put my new Tpms sensors in and run down the road to get them mounted and balanced then jet home and put them on. I'll post photos asap of the finished product. I also have black lugs and caliper covers on the way. Lugs I'll have Monday but the calipers will be after the rims and tires. I'm jonesing!! Just hope it looks good

Cant wait to see both sets mounted.

Mine have been sitting in boxes in my garage since August. Got them for a great deal but couldn't justify spending all the money on tires, TPMS and such just pull them back off a month later for the winer season. So by the time they go on, they'll have been sitting in boxes for 7-8 months.

Yeah buddy.......just need the last two rims, tomorrow they are scheduled to arrive. Then mount and balance and throw some rims on that b....!
529F83AE-767C-4645-B516-855289D5D859.jpg

It's dark, so sorry for the crappy photos! I'll post up some in the daytime! Fyi my Tpms was good to the gas station. Shut off the car then back on. Tpms still working. Drove the interstate, still working, then all of a sudden got a "Tpms monitor fault." Any ideas how to remedy? Just need the ford sensor wake up tool?

7DB8B6C9-EAE4-49AA-9285-973803A6B90C.jpg

Went ahead and had mine mounted and balanced as well. Tires on OEM rims are shot and one started leaking air, forced my hand a bit. Anyway here they are. DropStar 644c 22x9 wrapped in Nitto 420s 265/40/22 tires lowered on H&R Explorer spring. Would still like the rear to be 1/2 to 3/4 inch lower. Have to excuse the dirty car since it's been snowing for a week straight here.

D0DA0477-944E-4FED-8667-860E84F2A512_zpsknplfxt7.jpg

951FAC42-0AC3-48DB-88A7-054FF4BED4E1_zpswocdfjd3.jpg

Nice taste slik!!! Looking good, I agree with wanting a little wider so I already have 8mm hubcentric spacers I'm going to install when wife's caliper covers come in. Also did a full Lamin-x clear bra. Self install and way better than any pro install I've seen!

I'm ok with the width and offset, it's the fender gap on the rear. I want the rear to actually sit 1/2 - 3/4 inch lower.

Yours looks very nice with the black and white combo.

Hoping the two coats of good wax I put on them will protect them for the rest of the winter. Then get new winter tires for the stock wheels for next year.

A lot of online rim stores say the 22x10.5 is going to be to big for the front..what does it feel like for you?

2B829620-B5B8-46E2-A6C1-EA43EEF44D83.jpg

B7C2ABCC-3F48-43E5-BDB0-1AE932B1D012.jpg

A lot of online rim stores say the 22x10.5 is going to be to big for the front..what does it feel like for you?

Rides really well surprisingly! Ran it on the interstate for a while and felt smooth as stock, doing 80-85 and then did a wide open throttle for a while and then cruised at the excessive speed for a while and all felt great. Turning and around town isn't really a drastic change either. Overall I have no regrets, it's momma's grocery getter anyways and she doesn't notice a difference at all and loves the look, so if she's happy so am I. Only thing I noticed was the steering is way more responsive and you feel the road ruts/imperfections in the steering wheel more but to me I'd prefer that feedback anyways. Road noise isn't bad at all with the Pirellis.

I didn't realize you went with the 10.5s. I kicked that idea around and then decided it was overkill for the stock NA V6. Good to know those work though.

I didn't realize you went with the 10.5s. I kicked that idea around and then decided it was overkill for the stock NA V6. Good to know those work though.

Yeah, went thicker cause the 9.5 is close to stock and wanted a wider stance and meatier look from the back. Might go staggered without the 8mm spacers up front. I'll know more Thursday or Friday when the caliper covers arrive and I install them.

After reading everyone's comments and researching for months, I feel confident with my set up wishes. Traxda 1.5" leveling kit, TSW Snetterton chrome in 22x9 with a 40 offset (also comes in 28), and finish it off with Nitto Terra Grappler in 285 45s... Traxda website has a leveled ex with 275 40s and a few of you guys out there are running 285 40 not leveled with no rubbing. SO I SHOULD FIT, right?

275 40 22 Nitto 420s are 30.7x10.8
285 40 22 Nitto 420s are 31x11.2
285 45 22 Nitto Terra are 32x11.2...

The only tire that comes close to the accepted maximum diameter variance of 3% is the 285/40R22 and it is slightly over at 3.12%. Both the others are way over at 6.85% each. The warning that comes up when comparing tire sizes is;
"When changing tire sizes, we recommend staying within 3% of the diameter of the original tire. Any more than this and you face the risk of brake failure."

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only tire that comes close to the accepted maximum diameter variance of 3% is the 285/40R22 and it is slightly over at 3.12%. Both the others are way over at 6.85% each. The warning that comes up when comparing tire sizes is;
"When changing tire sizes, we recommend staying within 3% of the diameter of the original tire. Any more than this and you face the risk of brake failure."

Peter

well was going with BLUE rotors from Chrome Brakes....

Back