22" Wheels For Explorer | Page 15 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

22" Wheels For Explorer

Austin1982X

Reaction score
City, State
Roanoke, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport 4x4
So I am looking at upgrades and have thought about the following being my first two ‘big’ purchases. What are your thoughts?

First would be the wheels here. I have 20's with the sport wheels right now, but I’m thinking 22’s?
alloy-wheels-rims-tsw-turbina-5-lug-matte-black-face-org.jpg

Second (and more…out there) would be this
MMD Mustang V-Series Hood Scoop - Unpainted 390830-00 (15-17 GT, EcoBoost, V6)

Now I have NO idea if this would work, but I love this look...so the question becomes, has anyone ever installed a hood scoop on their stock '16 ??

What are your thoughts??????

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Welcome to the Forum Austin.:wave:
Your thread has been merged with this one on the topic of 22" wheels.
22" wheels, not my cup of tea, but a few members have installed them. Keep in mind that when installing larger wheels/tires you are also adding additional weight to the suspension and brakes and that may also have an effect on the electronic systems like ABS, traction control. A larger tire should preferably not exceed the diameter variance vs OEM by more than 3% for the same reasons.

As for the hood scoop; I've been on here since Dec. 2010 and don't recall anyone adding a hood scoop. Found this thread with the Forum's 'Search' feature (upper right);Hood scoops

Peter

JETZ

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
I have 22’s. 20’s are too small for the Ex, yet 22’s were available on the smaller Edge Sport, and that’s the ones I have. The ones you posted have to many spokes for my liking, and not a fan of black wheels. The ‘phony’ hood scoop, why? Even if it could be made to fit, it would still be NON functional!!! :snicker::hammer:

So I am looking at upgrades and have thought about the following being my first two ‘big’ purchases. What are your thoughts?

First would be the wheels here. I have 20's with the sport wheels right now, but I’m thinking 22’s?
alloy-wheels-rims-tsw-turbina-5-lug-matte-black-face-org.jpg

Second (and more…out there) would be this
MMD Mustang V-Series Hood Scoop - Unpainted 390830-00 (15-17 GT, EcoBoost, V6)

Now I have NO idea if this would work, but I love this look...so the question becomes, has anyone ever installed a hood scoop on their stock '16 ??

What are your thoughts??????

Austin1982X

Reaction score
City, State
Roanoke, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport 4x4
Thanks for the input! I think I am definitely going 22's...what size tire did you go with? Any rubbing?