22" Wheels For Explorer | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

22" Wheels For Explorer

5 Spoke wheels make the brake rotors and calipers look so small....it would definitely look better if the you got a bigger brake set up and lower your ride height. Just my opinion.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks good but i agree the spokes are a little too open for having stock brakes. Even painting the calipers they'll still look tiny.

And i'd second think it before painting the calipers white. It would look like a nice combo, but man would they get dirty FAST and never want to stay clean with white and brake dust.

Thanks for all the comments.

I'm actually looking to get some slotted or drilled rotors right now . Just looking for the right price.

Can anyone tell me if black Rotors will remain black or will they become silver from all the braking?

Thanks for all the comments.

I'm actually looking to get some slotted or drilled rotors right now . Just looking for the right price.

Can anyone tell me if black Rotors will remain black or will they become silver from all the braking?

I have never seen or experienced color not staying on rotors unless you did the job yourself and didn't use special caliper paint. If you get bigger rotors you will need bigger calipers. Get a set that's already a nice color that you like.

Finally someone that picked a nice looking wheel that actually matches!!!! Well done to you, your truck looks really great!! Good on you for trying out the spacers, you need more offset with those wheels to get flush.

Very nice . You got taste. Let us know about the spacers( where you got them,price,performance if they are hub centric etc)
Thanks

Thanks guys. The spacers are from Motorsport Tech. They will do any size you want which was necessary so ce no brand names have a spacer for our hub. They are hub centric and cost about $280 USD shipped for the set of 4. I'll post a seperate thread once I get them on. I currently have the headlights apart as I'm ditching the amber lens and painting the inside black. All of the car's chrome is off too awaiting black paint.

Tx. Looking forward to hear about the spacers

22's question...

Does anyone know if 285/45/22 wills fit on my '13 sport? Looking at getting 22 x 9.5 wheels....

Thanks guys!

I believe it's 265/40R22 that clears any of the safety issues. If anyone else has tried the 285, your knowledge would be appreciated

I'm going to try some 285/40r22 and 265/40r22 tommorrow ill keep you updated.

Cool thanks, I really want a little more sidewall (hence the 45 series). I checked on Tacomaworlds calculator, it shows the Same radius but the width is what I wanna know if it would rub.

On second thought.....does anyone have a picture of the tire sidewall overhang on a 9.5 inch wheel with 265/45/22 on them? Trying to get this fiqured out.

Looking at KMC Slides In Black. Love those wheels.

I can tell you a 265 on a 9" wheel is perfectly flush with the rim therefore on a 9.5 the tire will be in from the wheel about .25". I would do a 285 on a 9.5.

Here’s some info for you.
I tire guide reference shows the maximum size allowed is 265/40R22. This size fits, but leaves a gap, and looks terrible. If you plan to modify the suspension then you could fit the 285/45R22 you want to do. I tried the 285/40R22 it the tire is almost perfect, it rubs slightly when turning, but it’s very minimal, something I can deal with. This tire is the winner, without modifying suspension, and it looks much better than 265/40R22.
Don't worry I'm not keeping these wheels.
BTW, 285 in the front, and the 265 are in the back in the picture with the whole vehicle in the shot, in the picture with just rear of vehicle it is a 285 in back.
Let me know what you guys think of these wheels, I'm very borderline about them, their not ugly, but their not perfect either.
20130622_130327.jpg
20130622_130307.jpg
20130622_124948.jpg
20130622_124942.jpg
20130622_124932.jpg

Good info, if you want my input I'm not crazy about those wheels, too much going on.

I would say that it would all come down to price. If they are dirt cheap then maybe. If not I would pass.

Also rims with a small or no lip will look a lot bigger

I would not put those wheels on my car...for free! :eek:
You asked. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the info! Not a fan of the wheels......but I am a keep it simple kind of guy.

Back