22" Wheels For Explorer | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

22" Wheels For Explorer

Oh ok. I thought the 20s were just an option for Limiteds. Well thats great then if someone has weighed those 20s, it would be a bit closer to what the 20" Sport wheels weigh. I think I've read every thread on here about wheels, some multiple times by accident. I've spent an inordinate amount of time on here. I love the wealth of information people provide with forums... I just wish there was an easy way to organize that info.
I put 22s on my limited and SOLD the 20's. When I shipped them it was 71 pounds per rim. That's with the tires and sensors mounted and they only had 1000 miles so, no wear on the tires. Mine came with hankooks.
I forgot to weight the new setup before I put them on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Correct, the limited had 20's. Road noise is slightly more but nothing annoying. Exhaust is louder ;) Never weighed either.

I put 22s on my limited and SOLD the 20's. When I shipped them it was 71 pounds per rim. That's with the tires and sensors mounted

Thanks! thats super helpful info :). Mind me askin what you sold all of it for?

ps. I wonder if the Sport 20s weigh more or less than the Limited's. Anyone have any guesses?

Thanks! thats super helpful info :). Mind me askin what you sold all of it for? ps. I wonder if the Sport 20s weigh more or less than the Limited's. Anyone have any guesses?
I SOLD them for $1200.00. That's shipping included.

Wow that looks good but damn you must have had a tight butt pucker cutting into those fenders like that!!!

beautiful truck OP. Definitely looking into a few different things for the wifey's RR.

whats the sardina wheels offset?whats XSport factory wheel offset anyway?

Thanks! thats super helpful info :). Mind me askin what you sold all of it for?

ps. I wonder if the Sport 20s weigh more or less than the Limited's. Anyone have any guesses?

Sport wheels are 1/2 wider than limited 20's so I am guessing heavier since more metal. The only way you are going to lighten unsprung weight on a 22" setup is to get forged wheels which usually aren't cheap or find a wheel with a very thin spoke and less of them to cut down on volume.

Sport wheels are 1/2 wider than limited 20's so I am guessing heavier since more metal. The only way you are going to lighten unsprung weight on a 22" setup is to get forged wheels which usually aren't cheap or find a wheel with a very thin spoke and less of them to cut down on volume.
Both the Limited and Sport come standard with the same 255/50R20 tires. The Sport does have an optional 265/45ZR20 Summer tire that you can order.

Peter

So the Limited's rims are 8.5" wide? Cause the Sports are 9". I'm assuming the "Summer package" is merely a change of the tire size, not the rim width, and thus not increasing the weight of the rim (and possibly slightly reducing the overall weight by using a smaller tire).

I was looking at all sorts of rim types. 3-Piece rims were about twice as much, and thus out of the question. But I did find some that weren't as beefy as the Sport rims (I didn't like that look anyway).

I measured the stock Sport wheels when they took them off: 70.8 lbs (right on target with the estimate mabupa provided from his Limiteds). I then measured the new (22") wheels I got right before they were mounted: 71.6 lbs. Even though the rims and tires by themselves were lighter than the stock by a few pounds, I hadn't take the compressed air into account. :banghead:

Interestingly enough, the 265/45/22 wheel setup i have now makes the standing height 30.35" (1% bigger than stock). And my new wheels are 1% heavier. So inch for inch, I am running almost exactly the same as stock. haha

Looking good brother

was wondering if you could run staggered rims on the x sport and make it up on the tire size?like 20x9 on front and 22x10 on rear?

was wondering if you could run staggered rims on the x sport and make it up on the tire size?like 20x9 on front and 22x10 on rear?
I think that may play havoc with the AWD system.

Peter

thats what theyve been doing on the evo x and the lexus is250 awd. when they run staggered wheels and different tire size to balance it out, but of course they are all sedans not cuv.

thats what theyve been doing on the evo x and the lexus is250 awd. when they run staggered wheels and different tire size to balance it out, but of course they are all sedans not cuv.
I guess it would also make it impossible to correctly rotate the tires.

Peter

Those sedans are staggered from the factory so I presume they are designed to work with thier AWD systems. I am in the process of test fitting 22x10.5 all around and will post once I confirm. Got my tire to test fit 285/35/22 its a beast.

yes we cant rotate them.evo x come stock 18x8.5 all way around as far as i could remember when i had it 3 years ago and the Is250 was 17x8 all way around also.then saved my volks and installed it on my lexus Is and i was running 18x9.5 front and 18x10 on rear with 245 on front and 265 on rear on both cars with no problems.i will try to find the discussion thread of this on the evo or lexus forums.

this is from the clublexus forum running staggered on a Is 250 awd:

- What is your exact wheel/tire setup ?
F - 19x8.5 Face-1 35mm offset. Toyo Proxes T1-R 235/35/19
R - 19x9.5 Face-2 36mm offset. Toyo Proxes T1-R 265/30/19
Dropped on Eibach springs for IS350
- How many miles you've been running this for ?
10,000 miles
- Are you noticing any issues (gas millage ect...)
No problem so far... gas mileage is about the same
- Also post your general thoughts/comments
The wheels diameter is less than 1% difference so I don't think there would be any problem

all you have to do is keep the overall rolling diameters within 1/4" of eachother and the Traction control will do the rest. 1010tires has a good calculator that I use to calculate mounted diameter to validate a AWD staggered setup.

A Little Preview of my 22x10.5 Test Fit

So the car is dirty and of course it's not settled after being jacked up so pay no attention to the gap it doesn't sit that high. All I have to say in my opinion is perfect. They look bada$$ and I mean all together blew me away. Tested back and front, fit's perfect, about 1/2 inch or less poke. Deep concave with 285/35/22. Offset is 28 and the package weighs 75lbs I couldn't be happier. I started out thinking I wanted the polished lip version but this looks so much better. I ordered the remaining 3 rims, tires and black lugs. Mighty happy can you tell...

20140303_133055.jpg

Wheel1.jpg

20140303_134309.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would love to see it off lift, and know if there are rubbing issues.. it looks like it's gonna be a little tight on turn.

Back