225km a tank..NEED HELP. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

225km a tank..NEED HELP.

whitey63

Reaction score
I need some advice please. My x only gets 225km a tank if i'm lucky , i even drive like a granny. i have replaced the air filter ,fuel filter, spark plugs all fluids, cleaned MAF. I just had a new thermostat and coolant flush, my temp guage now seems high to me, it stays right in the middle and its winter time.
please send some advice.

thanks again

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what year explorer you have? did you do any modifications to it? what tire size you have?are you driving in a city or in the highway?

because is no way in the world to get that bad gas mileage driving slow i would:

1) check the gauge is is working correctly
2) is the check engine light lights up when you turn the keys? if not you need to check if you have any codes.
3) check tire pressure
4) do you hear any noise when driving?
5) check rotors any general brake pads rotors if they touch all times.

its a 98 2 dr soch 5 inch lift 32inch tires. ive done the brown wire mod. that fact that my temp guage is half way does that mean its over heating because before i had the flush and t-stat it would run at about 1/3.

the temperature gauge when the car warm up it suppost to be halfway.
5 inch lift 32inch tires(thats why you are getting that gas mileage)

Jeeez.......even 400 km is only like 248 something miles............

http://www.metric-conversions.org/length/kilometers-to-miles.htm

and if you're saying that now you get only 225 km to the tank......you're in the "House of Pain."

Do a tune up, get codes....just to start. And.....as I have mentioned before:

FYI, try calculating your MPG the "old fashion way."

There is going to be some variance, though I did say it was the "old fashion way." Start by filling up your gas tank, fully.......on level ground........first click off (second click off or whatever) or until you see the gas is it at a certain level in the filler neck (some stations will not let you look some won't).........sometimes you'll have to wait a little for the gas to settle in the tank........or the tank to "burrrp." You don't need to record how many gallons were needed (this time). Though you must record your odometer reading (or set the trip odometer) and remember this fill up procedure.

Any way..........now, drive it...........fill it when needed (don't have to be exact about filling it), log the number of gallons that went in.............drive it some more...............fill it when needed…………………………always logging the amount of gallons that went in............repeat the procedure several times.

After a couple of cycles: of driving, and filling, and logging the number of gallons...........this last time, you're gonna go to the same gas station and follow the same procedure that you used to fill your gas tank the first time that you started your quest for truth. Record this last odometer reading.

So, all done filling her up..............how many gallons was it this time? OK, now add up all of the gallons since you first recorded the odometer. So, how many gallons was the total?

Now, take the beginning odometer reading and minus it from the ending odometer reading………………this number is the total number of miles that you've traveled.

One more calculation left..............now, divide the number of miles by the number of gallons you used..................that number, is your MPG. Use a calculator, if you have trouble.

Now, like I said it's the "old fashion way"............and this method doesn't take into account for an odometer that is not functioning correctly.

As for computers...............well, perhaps one day................I'll have more faith in them.................and, that includes the GPS method. I've been off roading, when I was actually on a paved street.............at least that is what the GPS map said, I was doing........LOL.

Aloha, Mark

You may just be chasing a non-problem.

I mean………the way you're doing your est., based on miles per tank fill, may be at fault.

Note: You said that currently:
Quote:
lucky if i see 300 miles on a full tank in my 2000 eddie bauer 6 banger

Then, you said
Quote:
i used to get like 325-350 on a full tank..now i dont.…

So, for some that would mean a difference of only about 1-2 gals……so, think technique…….I mean, ”How many times have you squeezed in that extra gallon in?” Or, as others have mentioned city vs. combined vs. pure highway………and, driving style………did anyone mention “winter gas?”

So, IF a wrong assumption was made, about your technique………I apologize.

Anyway, your method may be somewhat sound. Though, I’d like to see actual MPG numbers over a period of time.

Cause, I‘ve found that guys who report “high gas usage” based on how many miles they travel on a “tank full”……….is somewhat suspect.

Example………..sometimes (pure highway) I’ll get close to 380 miles on a “tank full” and sometimes I can barely squeak 330 miles before I get scared that I’ll run out. So, at what point did I get afraid?? When the gauge read ¼ tank or was it a “smidgen” under or over that ¼ tank mark?? See what I mean??? Not to mention..……sometimes the gas attendant (in OR you can’t fill your own) will really squeeze in that extra gas……and sometimes they don’t.

Aloha, Mark

PS......look at all the different MPG figures reported by different guys from across the country (note: they gave MPG figures).....and, the tire pressue issue......and, "mods" for the most part weren't even mentioned......there is alot to think about. Do the tune up----Good luck

Aloha, Mark

Back