22's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

22's

Hey guys I want 22's on my X what size tire would i need so it would not rub, BUT i also would like to know if i hit a pot hole (can't avoid em all) if my rim will be ok. I know someone asked about 22's before but it really didn't answer my Q

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

285/30/R22 is the tire size you'll have to run. This is an extremely low profile tire. If you run this setup, you better be dodging those potholes big time because you can bend a rim very easily.

20's are pleanty big enough for a daily driver. Just roll dubs. 22's would be ok for a show X. But then you would be better off with 23's anyway.

I think 20's is the biggest you could go on those Massachussette streets. I was there a couple of weeks ago and, man, you got some serious pot holes! MO_GUY is selling his GT II right now that'll fit the 20's if you're interested.

If you go 23's as BM suggested you better have them on trailer to go from shows to shows.

My best friends dad has a navigator rollin on 26's. It makes it a whole lot bigger when you say 2 feet 2 inches!!!!!!! he paid $15,000 for rims and tires on that bad boy. I will get some pictures and post them on here for ya. Might be awhile because they are on vacation and i dont knwo when they get back, and its in the garage, so i cont just go over and see it outside.

Originally posted by X-factor
MO_GUY is selling his GT II right now that'll fit the 20's if you're interested.

What he said!!! Search around in the For Sale forum and you will find my post or PM me and I will give you more info on the tires. They are all 4 brand new and never mounted

Black magic,

What are the brand and style of your shoes you're sittin on.....they are tight, i'm a HUGE fan of the 5 star i would like to know what setup you're runnin. I just havnt found some i liked til i saw yours.

Thanks.

i gotta go with everyone else, 20's are just a much better choice for a daily driven explorer. 22's are fine on fullsizes (even 24's) because you can run such a taller sidewall. go with a 20, and run a 275/45/20.... thats the hot setup right now on explorers, and is very "daily-drivable". to give you an idea of what to expect...

285/30/22 will have a 3.7" sidewall

275/45/20 will have a 5" sidewall

Originally posted by X-factor
I think 20's is the biggest you could go on those Massachussette streets. I was there a couple of weeks ago and, man, you got some serious pot holes!

Haha that is great we got the grand canyon around here

Originally posted by ExplorerGT
Black magic,

What are the brand and style of your shoes you're sittin on.....they are tight, i'm a HUGE fan of the 5 star i would like to know what setup you're runnin. I just havnt found some i liked til i saw yours.

Thanks.

Thanks for the compliment!

They are:

BRAND: Binno

MODEL: B-930-CB

SIZE: 20" inch, 20x9

LUG PATTERN: 5x114.3 mm, 5x4.50 in.

OFFSET: +35mm

FINISH: Silver with polished lip

Check out my home page to see more information on them. http://stlouismtb.tripod.com

since he has a 2002 xpolorer couldnt he run 305, i was at my local tire shop and they were telling me about a guy that put 22's on his an ran a 305, i dont kno what the secong number would be tho

Actually he has a '00. He became a member here in 2002. But good info though...

lol, belle tire tried arguing with me when i got my 20's.... they were like the book says to run 295/?/20 i forgot the number after 295 but i said hell no that is too wide. they were almost refusing to put 275 on, until the guy actually compared the tires and seen how much better 275's were. but yea, 20's are big enough. mine only have about 1.5" of clearance when i turn the wheel all the way. i think 22"s should only be for an ex if its just for show...

the 22s don't ride that bad on the 285/35s just do it

Back