230k miles - what should I replace? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

230k miles - what should I replace?

jcart01

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mountaineer
4.0l 1999 Mountaineer - What should I replace just because? Oxygen sensors? I'm thinking things like that likely need to be changed after this many miles. What else should I replace to add to the life of the truck and keep it running great?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Replace it when it breaks, and believe me you’ll have plenty of opportunities.

If it's not throwing any codes or having any problems, I wouldn't mess with it. Stick with routine maintenance and save your money for when it actually has a problem.

I'd say it's probably due for an oil change.

At that many miles... not only that O2 sensors might be on the slow side (affecting the mileage) but probably the cats themselves are towards the end of their life. Sometimes are so rusted in the exhaust that is not worth it.

Do the transmission maintenance if it was done regularly, if not... maybe is better not to touch it.
New spark plugs are probably due too (second set by now) - I recommend for our engines the NGK Laser Iridium plugs.
Also probably the shocks are just placeholders by now (it would be the second set by now too), probably you forgot how is to drive a truck with good ones. Might want to replace them now, I used KYB Gas-A-Just and I am absolutely... delighted by them (couldn't find a better word).

check safety items (brakes, suspension, steering components, tires) check hoses belts that may at the end of their service life and replace as necessary. beyond that on a 4.0L with that many miles... if it ain't broke don't fix it. messing with other "maintenance" items (other than oil changes of course) can end up causes more problems than you are trying to correct. drive it gently and enjoy.

when I bought my '97 4.0L with 213K on it last spring, that's what I did. we've put around 15-20k on it since then and it's provided solid daily transportation. we just put new tires on it this past weekend, so it's probably ready to blow up... lol. I don't plan to put any money into this truck unnecessarily. my original expectations for this truck was to get another 50k out of it. anything beyond that is gravy. so far so good.

Maybe I should list things that I HAVE changed.

Plugs/wires are about 2 years old.

Oils changed on the regular (Valvoline full synthetic high mileage/motocraft filter)

Transmission fluid/filter changed less than a year ago (Wix filter - fully synthetic fluid)

Belt tensioner (No idea how this was still hanging on before I changed it.)

Rear differential went out after YEARS of whining.
-- I ripped the whole assembly out and found a good one at a junk yard and replaced it. Added full synthetic fluid. This was done almost a year ago.

During the rear end change it became apparent that I needed new brakes, including e-brakes. So new brakes and pads all the way around. Completely rebuilt e-brakes.

Shocks - all have been changed. I used the Monroe Sensa-Trac replacements. Not overly happy.

Front end - replaced tie-rod ends, upper and lower control arms w/ ball joints, and Sway bay end links (all Moog)

She got two new tires last weekend.

Thats about all I can think of. Whats next!

Replace it when it breaks, and believe me you’ll have plenty of opportunities.
Lol...not that explorers are pieces of crap...it's the 230k thats catches up with them.

Lol...not that explorers are pieces of crap...it's the 230k thats catches up with them.

I know. Mine has 165K on it. The thing is like old age every day is a different thing.

Brake fluid was changed on last brake job. Recently flushed coolant. Have not changed power steering fluid.

I have 205k on mine.

I just replaced all the original radiator and heater hoses for preventative maintenance.

Within the last year I replaced the fuel pump, that is something you should be alert to. 200+ is borrowed time.

Next thing on my agenda is the first replacement of the valve cover gaskets which are just starting to weep.

I am also considering replacing the original U-joints preventively as well as the original rear wheel bearings.

Change the power steering fluid, it's a good idea. Also, add a bit of LS friction modifier to it, really helps quiet it down and smooth it out.

At that mileage you should just replaced the vehicle. lol j/k

I'd do the following.

Brake lines, brake calipers
U joints
If cooling system is original I'd replace radiator, fan clutch, water pump, hoses
Flush cooling system and flush heater core
Brake fluid flush
Power steering flush
New TCase and diff oil
Fuel Filter
Plugs/wires if not done recently
I'd personally switch to a high quality oil as well (Mobil 1, Royal Purple, etc.)
New hub assemblies and wheel bearings if they havent been replaced recently
New shocks if they haven't been replaced in the last 80-100K
Check all front suspension bits (tie rod ends, sway bar end links, bushings, etc.)
I'd get new shackles, they tend to rust.

Front end - replaced tie-rod ends, upper and lower control arms w/ ball joints, and Sway bay end links (all Moog)

She got two new tires last weekend.

After all of that front end work I hope you got a good front wheel alignment, if not your nice new tires may not last as long as you'd like them to.

I don't see if you said you have a 2WD or 4WD/AWD. If it's 4WD/AWD I hope the two tires you didn't replace have almost all of their tread. You don't want to be running tires that are different diameters.

Dan

I guess what you chose to replace depends on what your expectations for the vehicle are. On my 2 best trucks ('01 EB and '00 Mounty 2WD) I stay on top of preventive maintenance pretty well. I expect them to go another 100K+. On the other 3 I just fix what's wrong/worn out.

Back