245-70R16 - Any good reason NOT to install? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

245-70R16 - Any good reason NOT to install?

Overcurrent

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 XLT 4X4 V6
My present tires (Wild Country XRTII 235-70R16) are almost worn out.

New tires will be Michelin LTX M/S2. I am thinking seriously about going up to a 245-70R16 which will be 0.5" larger in diameter and 0.2" wider (section width) that the corresponding Michelin 235-70R16. Weight/speed/pressure ratings are essentially identical.

I'll be using the same stock standard 16x7 rims.

Is there any real good reason that I might have overlooked (other than it wasn't a "factory specified" tire size) that I might not want to do this?
(I realize that up to a 255-70R16 will fit but for the way I use this rig the 245s would be more than adequate)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMHO, not if you got a good deal then go for it. They'll fit and run fine.

They will work fine and are almost a dead ringer for an OEM tire size diameter - the 245/65/17's.

I actually run the size you are looking to upgrade to for my snow tires. They were cheaper all around than the corresponding 17's.

Only thing for you is your speedometer will be slightly off.

You may or may not notice the difference in feel:
235-70R16 = 28.95" diameter
245-70R16 = 29.5" diameter (+1.9%)

I did the same thing with my Mazda3 2 tire changes ago (upsized the width by 10, other numbers the same). I noticed the difference, and went back to stock this last time. But my Mazda3 is a lower-torque 4-cylinder, and it's a stick-shift. I found it harder to feather the clutch from a stop (seemed to bog down more unless I slipped the clutch more). For a larger vehicle with Auto trans...probably won't notice.

Go for it. The M/S2 is one nice tire for every day all weather traction.

I have 235/70/17s on my truck, which is even bigger, and I barely notice the difference with my V6 and 3.55s. The truck is slow no matter how you measure it...

The only downside of the M/S2 is relatively soft sidewalls. But again, the Explorer is no sport SUV so the slight reduction in steering response didn't bother me. In fact, I'd much rather gave that up for the return in ride comfort.

Hi I have 245/70r16's from factory on my 2005 kia Sorento but can find 255/70r16's more readily and cheaper. Is there any reason I can't make that switch?

Thanks

Hi I have 245/70r16's from factory on my 2005 kia Sorento but can find 255/70r16's more readily and cheaper. Is there any reason I can't make that switch?

Thanks
Why on earth would you ask here? Find yourself a good Kia forum and read, read, read.

It makes no sense at all to ask here instead.

That stated, look at what clearance you have with your current tires. 245 to 255 isn't much so if they weren't nearly rubbing, it should fit fine.

Back