24's and what drop? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

24's and what drop?

01BATman

Reaction score
just put on some 24's on my 02 XLT and i want to know what all do i need what springs do i need and much should i expect to pay? thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how much room do you have between the rims/tire and the fender wells? i'd imagine that you're pretty stuffed all ready.

and oh yeah, you expecting to upgrade your brakes anytime soon? that extra weight is going to be a bizotch to stop...

What size tires did you go with?

The only way you will get away with lowering it at all without rubbing is if you go with some seriously low profile tires.

Rubber band man!

255/30/24 and i have about a 5-4" gap so i'm sure i can drop it with any rubbing well hoping. any help would be great from a 01 toyota celica to an 02 explorer is a huge difference so i'm sure dropping my celica on 18's may be different from dropping the explorer on 24's

255/30/24 and i have about a 5-4" gap so i'm sure i can drop it with any rubbing well hoping. any help would be great from a 01 toyota celica to an 02 explorer is a huge difference so i'm sure dropping my celica on 18's may be different from dropping the explorer on 24's

Wow. That is a seriously low profile tire. It will literally be like riding on the rims. Yikes! The good news is, that overall diameter should fit (depending on your wheel offset) without any rubbing, even if you lower it. Groundforce springs will lower it 1.5-2". Belltech springs will be the lowest at 2.5-3". I know from experience that the Belltechs will settle over time and it will lower even more. Still, with that wheel/tire combo, you'll be okay.

I ran around on 265/35/22s and it (to me) was just not enough sidewall. I now have 285/35s and it looks and rides a lot better. I don't clinch up as much when I hit a pothole, worried about bending a rim. Good luck though!

it rides really well and the upside is it isnt daily driven, but i would like more sidewall though. do i just need springs or do i also need shocks and orther things? and how much does it cost to install? thanks for help

it rides really well and the upside is it isnt daily driven, but i would like more sidewall though. do i just need springs or do i also need shocks and orther things? and how much does it cost to install? thanks for help

I can't imagine how that rides well. But any more sidewall with 24s and you'd probably rub.

To go lower, all you have to do is replace the springs. I did them myself, so I can't tell you what labor would cost. Different shops will charge different rates, I'm sure. All I had to do was rent a spring compresor. The rest was just simple hand tools and a little patience and elbow grease.

The stock shocks will work fine. Some people have replaced them on lowered 3rd gens, but there are very few options, and nothing made specifically for a lowered X. Shocks aren't cheap, either. They are around twice as much as the springs. I had a guy tell me after he did the swap that he didn't feel like he got his money's worth. I'd just stay stock until they need to be replaced.

Your alignment will be thrown out of whack. You'll have negative camber front and back, and that will eat away at the inside edge of your tires. There are basically two alignment kits available, with the Ingalls kits allowing the most adjustment (1 degree). If you go with the Belltech springs, you will need more adjustment than that to get the camber right, especially in the rear. Good luck with all that. I'm going through that right now.

do u got pics of it

i'll take some pics this weekend and post them up. thanks for the help guys! if anyone else has some more input please feel free to drop the info the more i can learn the better.

Your alignment will be thrown out of whack. You'll have negative camber front and back, and that will eat away at the inside edge of your tires. There are basically two alignment kits available, with the Ingalls kits allowing the most adjustment (1 degree). If you go with the Belltech springs, you will need more adjustment than that to get the camber right, especially in the rear. Good luck with all that. I'm going through that right now.

I'm very interested in lowering my '02 Ex a bit. I can change out the springs fine, but my concern is the camber. Sounds like you have been looking at this, but how much drop can you get and still be able to adjust the camber properly with or without a camber kit?

I'm very interested in lowering my '02 Ex a bit. I can change out the springs fine, but my concern is the camber. Sounds like you have been looking at this, but how much drop can you get and still be able to adjust the camber properly with or without a camber kit?

I'm not completely sure about any of the other springs. I thin you will deal with camber issues with any kind of drop at all. Probably the Groundforce springs an the Ingall's camber kit are going to keep you closest to stock on your alignment. Good luck.

How does it ride with wheels that large and tires that small? lol

Most people on this forum aren't "up" on low pro's and how they ride,

31979150005_large.jpg
I can tell you that my 24's with 30 series tires didn't ride bad at all on my 1995 X, and the 35 series on my bagged charger on 22's didn't ride bad at all either.

30 series is the lowest I'd go, but they make a 15 series tire now. (talk about pothole damage) I've hit several potholes on my 24's, and never damaged them.

Here's my new explorer (still have the old one for now)

32215400014_large.jpg

Those 24's will soon go on there. What most people don't know is 24x8.5's with 255/30/24 tires DO NOT rub on even the pre 2002 explorers. Mine did just fine for several months! :)

The Charger looks nice, I never could get into Explorers with big rims, plus I live in NEPA and they would be destroyed in about an hour.

The Charger looks nice, I never could get into Explorers with big rims, plus I live in NEPA and they would be destroyed in about an hour.

Destroyed, or stolen :p.

the only SUVs I like with big rims are the 2nd gen Tahoe, Yukon, and Escalade. For some reason, 22's look so much better on them then any other vehicle, imo.

I originally wanted either a 2nd gen Tahoe or Yukon with 22's (because I could have 22's and still have enough room for respectable rubber on my tires) until I realized they were out of my price range, then I figured I'd go back to my original plan of picking up a 2nd gen X and putting on some nice 18's-20's; then I found this site and now I want 2" RB Spacers all around and 265/70/17s lol.

thank you. :)

14063718mz1.gif

gif aretee made for me on chargerforums

UPDATE: Just test fitted 295/35/24 tires (The same tires off of tahoes) and they fit fine. If they rub at all when they're all on, it will be VERY minor trimming. Not even noticeable.

This changes everything. It COMPLETELY fills the wheel gap, and will protect better and ride better. (This is on my 2003).

Always trying new stuff, got my set on order! AND new 24s! Stay tuned!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have grond force springs on my 04 and did them myself. you can get it to align fine, all I did was cut the tabs on the camber washers ( because they hold the camber in place on the upper control arms) and then alligned it to specs, got it dialed pretty good too. as for the struts, I lowered it a year ago and still on stock struts but gonna replace soon. BTW Ive had the truck 3 years without any other supension mods except for that and upper control arms and lower ball joints.

Back