255/55R20's to replace 255/50R20's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

255/55R20's to replace 255/50R20's

Will the 255 55 r20's work/fit?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brian Wright

Reaction score
City, State
Kalamazoo, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
I've searched and searched the interwebs and this forum for an answer. I'm simply wondering if anyone has replaced their 255 50 20's with 255 55 20's. I know they are an inch taller and will modify the speedometers accuracy slightly. Will these rub at full steering wheel turn? Any other thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've searched and searched the interwebs and this forum for an answer. I'm simply wondering if anyone has replaced their 255 50 20's with 255 55 20's. I know they are an inch taller and will modify the speedometers accuracy slightly. Will these rub at full steering wheel turn? Any other thoughts?
Welcome to the Forum Brian.:wave:
As the link above indicates, the diameter variance is 3.3%. The accepted maximum diameter variance compared to the OEM tire is 3%. Other than your speedometer being out a bit I don't think you'll have an issue. Keep in mind that the electronic systems such as ABS are programmed to the OEM tire size. Just curious as why you don't stick with the OEM size?
Also, keep in mind the Spare is designed to replace the OEM tire size.

Peter

here are some details of what i've found as far as comparison.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=255-50r20-255-55r20
Welcome to the Forum Brian.:wave:
As the link above indicates, the diameter variance is 3.3%. The accepted maximum diameter variance compared to the OEM tire is 3%. Other than your speedometer being out a bit I don't think you'll have an issue. Keep in mind that the electronic systems such as ABS are programmed to the OEM tire size. Just curious as why you don't stick with the OEM size?
Also, keep in mind the Spare is designed to replace the OEM tire size.

Peter

I am considering or investigating this tire size as I have a line on a brand new set of Bridgestone Duelers for 500$ maybe a little less. I was also thinking that the ride might be a little smoother and my overall gas mileage might be slightly increased as well.

I am considering or investigating this tire size as I have a line on a brand new set of Bridgestone Duelers for 500$ maybe a little less. I was also thinking that the ride might be a little smoother and my overall gas mileage might be slightly increased as well.
I don't know if you'll notice much of either difference. Don't forget that the tires will be a little heavier, possibly off setting any MPG gain but I can't say for sure. I do notice when I change out my 20" OEM wheels/tires for the 18" Winter wheels/tires (235/60R18) that the ride is a little smoother, but not that much. Good luck.

Peter

I don't know if you'll notice much of either difference. Don't forget that the tires will be a little heavier, possibly off setting any MPG gain but I can't say for sure. I do notice when I change out my 20" OEM wheels/tires for the 18" Winter wheels/tires (235/60R18) that the ride is a little smoother, but not that much. Good luck.

Peter

Thanks for the follow up and feedback Peter.

Brian, did you buy the 255 55r20 tires? I found a similar good deal but I don’t want to buy them if they are too big for my 2011 Explorer.

Brian, did you buy the 255 55r20 tires? I found a similar good deal but I don’t want to buy them if they are too big for my 2011 Explorer.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The same details discussed above would apply to your Explorer. FYI, Brian was last on the Forum on October 30th.

Peter

I’m on more often then that I just maybe didn’t log in or post. I did not buy the tires. 2 reasons. Not sure they come with a standard warranty as they are being sold in an online forum and based on he recommended size difference being a max of 3%.

I’m on more often then that I just maybe didn’t log in or post. I did not buy the tires. 2 reasons. Not sure they come with a standard warranty as they are being sold in an online forum and based on he recommended size difference being a max of 3%.
Thanks for the reply Brian. I guess it only logs times you post. That clears that up.:thumbsup:

Peter

I have 255 55 20s on my wife's. I got a hell of a deal on a set of new takeoffs from a traverse. ($150 for all 4).. I love them. Ride is so much smoother than the 50s..

I'm giving this a bump to see if anyone else has put 255/55R20s on a 2015 Sport. I would just like to fill the wheel wells a bit, and add a little height and width over curbs I have a habit of connecting with. But I don't want to rub!! Any additiinal info is appreciated!

I'm giving this a bump to see if anyone else has put 255/55R20s on a 2015 Sport. I would just like to fill the wheel wells a bit, and add a little height and width over curbs I have a habit of connecting with. But I don't want to rub!! Any additiinal info is appreciated!
A few days late but "Welcome to the Forum".:wave:
If you have a habit of rubbing curbs, I don't think that an extra 12.75 mm. or 0.5 inches in height is going to make that much of a difference.

Peter

But it is the last 1/2 inch of the wheel that seems to get dinged. I just have a hard time realizing I'm not driving a 3/4 Tom diesel on 35s anymore.

Actually I think a slightly larger tire will look much better. This is what she looks like now.
20180610_161753.jpg

I run 235/60R18 in the Winter and prefer the ride over the 20" OEM. I don't think you'll have any issues with the 55 over the 50.

Peter

2017 Platinum.JPG

Mine on 255/65/18s. I love the fact that the brake disk fills the wheel a little better as well as the tire filling the wheel well a little more. I'm another 3% violator. I did adjust the speedo and am loving it a few months in.
MachFurJmZ8nQ?width=4032&height=3024&cropmode=none.jpg

Thanks for chiming in with your experiences gentlemen. Much appreciated!

Dan yours are pretty much the exact same outer tire dimensions as what I'm looking at, so big thanks. I will post a pic Saturday when they are on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no such animal as a 250/50/20! :drunk:

Back