265/65-18 BFG All Terrain on stock 2008 Explorer Limited 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

265/65-18 BFG All Terrain on stock 2008 Explorer Limited 4x4

bluesq

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer Limited 4x4
Hey all, I bought a used 2008 Explorer Limited 4x4 almost a year ago and it's time for tires. I wanted to put some BFG All Terrains on there but they don't come in stock size (235/65-18). They do however have 265/65-18. The diameter difference is +1.6". Width difference is +1.1". Speedometer difference is 5.5%. Wheels are stock 18"x7.5".

I read another thread ( Max Tire Size 08 Explorer 18" ) saying this tire size is fine for a stock setup as far as clearance. Just curious about any premature wear I might be introducing by going up a tire size. This is my DD and I'm really easy on it. It has a V6 and the stock transmission that's paired with it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am running 265-60-18 for the past 10 years and they rub in extreme situations but very rarely.
65 profile will probably work, but expect some rubbing on the inner liners.

I am running 265-60-18 for the past 10 years and they rub in extreme situations but very rarely.
65 profile will probably work, but expect some rubbing on the inner liners.

Hey good call, I see they make the All Terrains in 265/60-18. And they're $50 less per tire than the 65 profile!

cool

265-60-18 is the closest to the OEM 235-65-18

why not save yourself some money and go with smaller wheels? Find some 16 or 17" takeoffs, and you will save at LEAST $40 per tire, with the added bonus of a better ride and better off road performance

why not save yourself some money and go with smaller wheels? Find some 16 or 17" takeoffs, and you will save at LEAST $40 per tire, with the added bonus of a better ride and better off road performance

Save money by buying new wheels?

if you can get take off explorer wheels, you can get them cheap, Plus you can sell the 18's.
Even if it ends up costing the same or even a little more, you still get the bonus of a better ride and better off road performance, and your next set of tires will cost at least $160 less vs 18's

Ended up going with the 265/60 r18 BFG All Terrain KO2's. Totally transformed the way the truck rides versus the road tires. Super comfortable, grippy and quiet. Plus they look way more aggressive. No rub even with the rack pinned to either side! Love em!

2.jpg

Did you notice a decrease in MPG with the K02?

I had the 18" chrome clad wheels (with the inevitable curb rash on the plastic bonded chrome caps . Went with re-manufactured stock 16" wheels and the stock 16" rubber and upgraded to stem mounted TPMS sensors. About the same price for the wheels and the tires as the tires alone in the 18" size. A lot more selection in 16" and much better ride to boot! Wheels were on sale for a set of 4 from Detroit Wheel and the Huf RDE014 TPMS were on sale from TPMS Direct.

Back