265/75 vs 285/75 for a v6 with photos | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

265/75 vs 285/75 for a v6 with photos

fr0st m0nkey

Reaction score
City, State
Stockton, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
I love the look of the 285/75 with BTF spacers + 3" BL but I don't know if it's a good idea with the 4.0. I realize there is only a ~30 HP difference between the v6 and the v8 but I would like to avoid regearing if possible. Is there going to be a noticeable difference in performance between the two tire sizes? Can anyone with experience weigh in for me?

My current thought process:

Option 1:
265/75's with BTF spacers (and UCA's)

Option 2:
265/75's with BTF spacers, 1.5" BL (and UCA's)

Option 3:
285/75's with BTF spacers + 3" BL (and UCA's)

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to consider what gearing you have currently, and what tire size you have currently to have a good basis for comparison between stock and those two tire sizes. Say that you have 3.55 gears now and 29" tires for example. With that, you can use the following formulas:

If you want to find out what your effective gear ratio with the larger tires given those inputs:

current gear ratio / (new tire size in inches / old tire size in inches) = effective gear ratio

So using the numbers I gave and converting the p-metric tire sizes to diameter in inches:

3.55 / (31.6 / 29) = x

3.55 / 1.0896 = x

x = 3.258

So basically, when you switch from 29" tires to 265/75 tires, your gear ratio effectively dropped from 3.55 to 3.25. If you went to a 285/75 (32.8" diam) then you would drop even lower to approximately 3.13.

To get back to the stock gearing (3.55) by regearing (assuming you went to a 265/75), here's what you do:

(new tire size in inches / old tire size in inches) x existing gear ratio = new gear ratio needed

(31.6"/29") x 3.55 = x

1.0896 x 3.55 = x

x= 3.868

So to get back to an effective gear ratio of 3.55, you would install 3.868 ratio gears (in theory). I don't believe they make anything like that for our axles so you'd have to decide between 3.73 and 4.10 as far as regearing. The upside is you could just swap in a set of 3.73 diffs from a salvage vehicle and save some money (as long as they are in good shape). If you went with 285/75's then 4.10's would be more appropriate to get you back to an effective gear ratio of 3.55.

To see what effective gear ratio that will result in with your size tires and a given gear ratio, you use the first formula I listed, but you use the planned axle ratio instead of the current one you have:

planned gear ratio / (new tire size in inches / old tire size in inches) = new effective gear ratio

So I'll use 4.10 gears and 265/75 tires for example:

4.10 / (31.6/29) = x

4.10 / 1.0896

x = 3.76

So 4.10 gears with 265/75 will give an effective gear ratio of 3.76. This would feel a lot more quick off the line than stock, but not be bad at highway speeds either. It would also be helpful since you have the 4.0. I'll also add that I had this very combo on my last truck and it helped a LOT having those higher gears, especially when I was running mud tires.

Hope that helps with the gearing part.

Also you might consider that a 265/75 will just fit in the spare area...I don't think a 285/75 would go in easily, if at all. May not be important to you, but since I have a 4wd and don't want to get stuck somewhere with a flat tire and and undersized spare, I have limited myself to 265's.

All that math aside, I would suggest a 3" body lift with 265's and leave the spacers out of the picture. Then you won't have to worry about getting new UCAs either.

If it looks too low you can just add them later. Or use the money saved by not getting them and putting it towards gears or some junkyard 3.73 diffs.

Here's what a 3rd Gen with only a 3" body lift and 265's looks like:

PA130012.jpg

All that math aside, I would suggest a 3" body lift with 265's and leave the spacers out of the picture. Then you won't have to worry about getting new UCAs either.

If it looks too low you can just add them later. Or use the money saved by not getting them and putting it towards gears or some junkyard 3.73 diffs.

Here's what a 3rd Gen with only a 3" body lift and 265's looks like:

*snip*

Thanks!

MillerTimeX17's explorer is what made me want to go with the 265's but then seeing him upgrade to the 285s + spacer lift made me itch for that, haha. I wish he had posted more pictures of it before going bigger. Do you know any other members running 265's with 3" of lift (either BL or spacers)?

EDIT: Here's DanielJ's explorer running 32's, BTF spacers + UCA's:

photo14.jpg

EDIT 2: Here's Jack_Wagon's explorer on 265/70's with spacers:

photo(7).jpg

Here's mine, I have 285/75/16's and truxxx spacers with a 2"BL.
DSCN0757.jpg

DSCN0754.jpg

Here's mine, I have 285/75/16's and truxxx spacers with a 2"BL.
*snip*

I've seen your pics in the 3rd gen picture thread, your rig makes me want 285s. You have the 4.0? How's it handling the 285s and extra wind resistance from being jacked up so high? What gears do you have?

I've seen your pics in the 3rd gen picture thread, your rig makes me want 285s. You have the 4.0? How's it handling the 285s and extra wind resistance from being jacked up so high? What gears do you have?

I still have the 3.55 gears, not a whole lot of difference from the 265's I had on it. She will still get up and go. Looking at either putting 4.10's or 4.56's to help off road.

I still have the 3.55 gears, not a whole lot of difference from the 265's I had on it. She will still get up and go. Looking at either putting 4.10's or 4.56's to help off road.

Wow, that's surprising. I would have guessed it'd be pretty painful to drive. Good to know though. :)

Have you recalibrated your speedometer? Do you know what kind of gas mileage you're getting? Obviously it's not going to be good, just curious what kind of numbers you might be seeing.

Wow, that's surprising. I would have guessed it'd be pretty painful to drive. Good to know though. :)

Have you recalibrated your speedometer? Do you know what kind of gas mileage you're getting? Obviously it's not going to be good, just curious what kind of numbers you might be seeing.

I have a superchip flashpaq that I used to calibrate the speedometer. Right now I get about 14 city and 19 highway, not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

I have a superchip flashpaq that I used to calibrate the speedometer. Right now I get about 14 city and 19 highway, not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

No ****? I've always averaged about 14-15 mpg stock with a pretty even mix of city and highway. Any other performance mods?

No ****? I've always averaged about 14-15 mpg stock with a pretty even mix of city and highway. Any other performance mods?

All I have done is superchips flashpaq, which I use the performance download from that, and I have the KKM intake.

If you are not really looking for the lift but just want bigger tires. The 265/75 will fit in the spre location and fill the wheel wells very well. The only issue I have encountered is that when I turn the wheel to full lock, the tire rub the plastic inner fender. I mean full lock, any less and no rub.

Just wanted to post some more combos in here for other people that are in the process of lifting their explorers:

armysoldier30263's 255/75/17 bfg mud terrains with vision wheels, 2.25/1.75 spacers, new kyb struts
photobucket-3826-1329327827361.jpg

millertimex17 when he was running 265/75/16 goodyear wrangler duratracs, Vision Warrior wheels, 3" body lift, and 2.25" spacer in the front only:
IMG_0033-1.jpg

Eric1249 running 265/70/17 with nitto terra grapplers, xd hoss wheels, and 2.5"/?" BTF spacers
4ivapNL.jpg

Back