• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

28 psi fuel pressure on 96 4.0 explorer?

porshapower

Reaction score
City, State
jacksonville Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 explorer
I did a fuel pressure test today. It was at 28 psi. When I disconnected the vacuum line from the regulator it stayed at 38 psi. I shut the engine off and it sat for 20 minutes with 38psi. Are these numbers low for a 1996 4.0 v6? I am chasing a slight rough idle(stumble) What can cause the low pressure? Pressure regulator? Thanks:)Nelson

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

ExplorerDMB

Moderator/Technician
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Acura TL
it is a little low -- good pressure is usually 40+ psi. Fuel Filters can be clogged, and the regulator could be crapping out. Whens the last time you changed your filter?

-Drew

porshapower

Reaction score
City, State
jacksonville Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 explorer
Hello:) Thanks for the reply!!...

New filter a couple of weeks ago. I was leaning toward the fpr. My question is wouldnt the symptoms exist when I drive with a bad fpr?? When I drive the truck it accelerates perfect(slow or fast). Doesnt buck at all even if Im in 5th gear(manual) at 30mph it still accelerates slowly and smoothly. The only things I can think of for low fuel pressure is filter,fpr,pump,obstructed line.... I am thinking of getting a fpr today for the heck of it... Thanks again!! :)Nel

Green98XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Winc. VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited
Most fords that I have seen usually run around 40psi with vacumn off and drop to 35-36 with vacumn on. You should not have a 10psi drop with vacumn on/off, or is that a typo?

porshapower

Reaction score
City, State
jacksonville Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 explorer
Did upper manifold gaskets today...

Truck running much better! Havent checked fuel pressure but I will test is tomorrow. Would a upper manifold gasket caused low fuel pressure?? I bought my gasket set at ADVANCED AUTO..they were FELPRO gaskets but I got 6 gaskets and the truck only uses 3. The box says 1996-1997 4.0 v6 upper manifold gasket set QUANTITY:6...?? Any ideas? Thanks!:)Nel

porshapower

Reaction score
City, State
jacksonville Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 explorer
Yep..there was 10psi increase with the vacuum line off..

The pressure was 28psi with truck running and when I disconnect the fpr vacuum line it was 38psi... I will check tomorrow with the new upper manifold gasket. Thanks:)Nel