285/75/16 Stock Rims | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

285/75/16 Stock Rims

Im making this post for all the 2nd Gen explorer owners who are running stock 16's with larger tires. After searching through the forumn and seeing very few a second gen on stock 16's I wanted to post this thread and try to help out those that needed it.

First off I debated for a couple months of what size tires I wanted 285/75 or go smaller with 265/75 trying to debate the always debated question will 33's fit? or almost 33's...After searching for examples on close to stock explorers ( I only had a shackle lift ) I said screw it and ordered the 285's MTG's from TreadWright not knowing if they would be close to fitting but oh well did it anyways.

Only took a couple of days after i ordered them and when they came i was nervous, rolled them up to the wheels and stood there thinking no way could those things fit so went down to Walmart the other day and put one of the tires on one rim so I could test fit all around.

Here are the results back left and front: Fit perfect no issues what so ever

Front drivers side: Actually fit on but when i went to turn the wheels there were some issues. The issues had to do with the inner plastic fender well piece not the actual metal. I have never really looked at another explorer but on the driver side the plastic piece juts out then goes up to the center and comes to a point what for I have no idea. Im sure it serves some purpose but for me it was in the way. So I grabbed the first thing I could an xacto knife that my wife uses for something and a lighter and started to trim away the unecessary pieces.

The first thing I trimmed was a 2x2in hole in the lower well follwed off with cutting off the long slender piece on the top. The only other place was the front plastic fender located underneath the bumper. Trimmed that and remounted wheel and still had slight issues. So I finally did the TT didnt want to because I didnt want to go get an alignment but did it anyways becasue I want these tires to fit...

1998 was a long time ago so of course the drivers side could only be lifted about an 1" or so. But hey its free and now both sides are the same height. And what a difference it made, on the drivers side i have about 2" or so of clearance after the trim and TT so its all good on to the passenger side.

Passenger side was not as bad bolted up the tire and it fit and turned fine and only rubbed in one place. The plastic well towards the door. Well fixed that quick after doing the other side only took me a couple of minutes.

Well going tommorow to get the remaining three mounted and balanced and then will have final pics.

**Will post pics of wheel well trim and tires tommorow**

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

heres mine with 265/75/r16 these are not stock. stock was like 235/75/r15. it did clip the running boards when at full turn.so i just trimed the running boards down no metal cutting. has a simpel 2'' lift in the back. i need longer t.b. bolts for the t.t. in the front for thefront end lift does rub only when hitting big bumps with the front tires botteming out . the back tires no problem

l_c925ad5eacb1408aadafdb747230f0b8.png

i had a explorer sport 2002 model a year or so ago, and ran 265-75-16's for a year or 2. It never rubbed or even came close while full lock of the wheels. I wonder why so many people are having to trim or torssion twist w/ those tires on 4 door models.?

i had a explorer sport 2002 model a year or so ago, and ran 265-75-16's for a year or 2. It never rubbed or even came close while full lock of the wheels. I wonder why so many people are having to trim or torssion twist w/ those tires on 4 door models.?

sports have bigger wheel wells in the front, allowing you to have bigger tires then the regular trucks.

AHHHHHHHH, we'll that might explain it then!!!!!!!!
so could u do the 285-16 on a stock rim? w/ out a torssion twist!?????

I'm looking to do the TT and the 153 shackles and run 285/75/16's on the stock rims. I hope to do it by the end of the year. I have an '95 EB and the stock tire size is 255/70/16 so I'd be increasing the tire size by about 2.5" If I have any issues I'll do a BL down the road. It's my DD and a occational camping trip off road. Last time I went camping I tapped the EB skirt on a rock. That was enough for me to decide to go a little higher. I just might do the BL and throw some sliders on there to eliminate the problem.:D

AHHHHHHHH, we'll that might explain it then!!!!!!!!
so could u do the 285-16 on a stock rim? w/ out a torssion twist!?????

I will be finding out this winter, when i go home i've got a set in my shed waiting to go on, i don't know, because my fender is the same as the 4drs, where as your truck more resembles the sport trac, which could fit up 35s with just a tt and shackle. (for street use only)

I'm looking to do the TT and the 153 shackles and run 285/75/16's on the stock rims. I hope to do it by the end of the year. I have an '95 EB and the stock tire size is 255/70/16 so I'd be increasing the tire size by about 2.5" If I have any issues I'll do a BL down the road. It's my DD and a occational camping trip off road. Last time I went camping I tapped the EB skirt on a rock. That was enough for me to decide to go a little higher. I just might do the BL and throw some sliders on there to eliminate the problem.:D

You're probably gonna need to do the body lift for any offroading because you'll probably rub at full lock or if you go to flex at all.

heres mine with 265/75/r16 these are not stock. stock was like 235/75/r15. it did clip the running boards when at full turn.so i just trimed the running boards down no metal cutting. has a simpel 2'' lift in the back. i need longer t.b. bolts for the t.t. in the front for thefront end lift does rub only when hitting big bumps with the front tires botteming out . the back tires no problem

l_c925ad5eacb1408aadafdb747230f0b8.png

I know this was a long time ago but the last number is the rim. you said the old tires were 235/75/r15 wouldn't that be kinda hard to get tires for a 15" rim on a 16" rim.

Looks like he put on 16" wheels in the pic.

I got 32's on my 16" rims , had to trim the plastic a tiny bit but thats about it.

Back