285's wont fit? are you sure? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

285's wont fit? are you sure?

"what are the odds I could clear 265/70//17's at stock ride height?"

You should have no problem at all, thats about the same size as what a lot of people are running. A 265/70/17 is the same diameter as a 265/75/16, 31.6".

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine are 265/75/16 and I have a good two-three inch clearance when turned fully one way picture doesn't show justice but it clears fine in front it's the rear of the tires that come close
x4ew4n.jpg

Mine are 265/75/16 and I have a good two-three inch clearance when turned fully one way picture doesn't show justice but it clears fine in front it's the rear of the tires that come close
x4ew4n.jpg

3rd gens fit a lil different than yours...

what are the odds I could clear 265/70//17's at stock ride height?

You may have minimal rubbing, but can be fixed with a couple zipties. I'm running 265/75R16 which is the same height with no issues and no zipties I might add.

265/70-17s on my mountaineer fit perfect at stock ride height. no rub at all

I have 2" road bully spacers and 1.5" wheel spacers and a set of 265/75/16s. I get some minor rubbing on full lock turns....... You could probably get 285s on there but living with them on a daily driver is another matter.

I already have 265"s on with no lift or wheel spacers and no coil lift and experience no rubbing at all. I think I am going to try the 285's and see how it goes. My coil spacer install keeps getting backed up, I decided a new LCD TV should come before, especially with the super bowl around the corner. As soon as its all done I will share my pictures.

Thanks

I have 2" road bully spacers and 1.5" wheel spacers and a set of 265/75/16s. I get some minor rubbing on full lock turns....... You could probably get 285s on there but living with them on a daily driver is another matter.

I think your rubbing issues are from the wheel spacers. They make that tire swing wide at turns. Great look but they can cause a lil rubbing.

I think your rubbing issues are from the wheel spacers. They make that tire swing wide at turns. Great look but they can cause a lil rubbing.

It is very very minor so I will probably not do anything about it. I am sure it would be a lot worse with 285s though. It could be the wheel spacers.

Did anyone actually determine if 285's would fit with a set of 2" spacers?

if you do any offroading 285's with only a 2" lift is a bad idea once your tire flexes at all you be hitting the inner wheel well

My Cooper STTs 265s rub without the wheel spacers, and don't rub with them. It's all about the position of the tyre in relation to the body/plastics when turning, and the spacers actually get the tyre away from the bit that it would otherwise rub on.

My Cooper STTs 265s rub without the wheel spacers, and don't rub with them. It's all about the position of the tyre in relation to the body/plastics when turning, and the spacers actually get the tyre away from the bit that it would otherwise rub on.

All depends on your set up, you have springs plus spacers Thelt doesnt. I have had at least 10 different combos of tires, lift and spacers over the years and they are all different. Spacers can cause rubbing, but it's worth it IMO. :D

All depends on your set up, you have springs plus spacers Thelt doesnt. I have had at least 10 different combos of tires, lift and spacers over the years and they are all different. Spacers can cause rubbing, but it's worth it IMO. :D

Yes, I do have the lift, and spacers are certainly worth it.

Hey Hellbound...I live in Columbus, OH...lifting my Ex soon....where exactly is Perrysville?

Back