• Register Today It's free!

289 np435

Dumple

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer
OK i know that a 302 and 5 speed is going to be a better option but im getting my hands on a 289 for $free.99 and i can find an np435 for cheap too. My question is does anyone currently run a small block in the 1st gen b2/ranger? Im sure i could figure out getting the 289 in there just fine but im worried about the np435. Ive currently got a 4.0 and a4ld and both arent feeling quiet right. tranny wont shift right and i miss having that skinny pedal. So i know ill need to fab up a cross member, the tranny and probably an np205, the pedal assembly, the slave, the master, the linkage for the clutch and t case, engine mounts(dufftuff) and a bigger wallet. Is there anything that im forgetting? The b2 is fairly clean on the inside and id like to not have a huge hole in the floor pan if i can avoid it. Will the shifter line up? will i need new drive shafts? Is there a major reason not to do this swap? any help is appriciated. And before anyone asks why i would want to do this, because im a free man and i can.

look for a m50r2 trans it will bolt up to a 6 bolt clutch housing 289 the 5 bolt clutch housing would fit tunnel in bII better but the trans would br problematic since the housing is early narrow pattern.
roscoe

Ok the 289 is a 6 bolt so I can use either one. I know the m5od-r2 is a better option but I'm specifically asking about the new process right now.

Back