madbutcher

Reaction score
City, State
Norway
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer Eddie bauer
I might got a good deal on a 97 that wont start

I want to do the rare axle swap for disc brakes and SOA
Other parts from a 97 i can use on my first gen?
Maby the rare seats?

3492930292.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think there are plenty of parts you can swap from the 2nd gen to the 1st gen Explorers. Other than the seats and the rear axle, the whole front can be swapped. Rick has 2nd gen fenders, hood, headlights and grille on his 1st gen...don't think there would have to be any modifications/big modifications to it. Not sure on the rear seats, but I'd get a good look into the 97, while having a tape measure handy, just to see.

Can't do the front. i am still waiting for my fiberglass fenders :)
still waiting a replay from the guy that owns th 97.

Fender flares are swapable.

Wheels, Door Panels (front will contact first gen dash if you keep it), dashboard, overhead console, seats with a front bracket change, doors themselves I'm pretty sure will swap. Rear hatch will not due to taillights, but there have been people who cut into the rear 1/4's to run second gen lights. I don't think you will like the look of the fenderflares on your first gen - they stuff too tight into the front fender bottom for lifted trucks.

Mechanically - Transfercase, V6 OHV, Rear Axle and some more if you put some extra effort in

My '94 was rebuilt with a wrecked '97 donor. The tailgate will fit, as that is what is on there now. Ford changed the taillight area either in '99, or 2000. How much of the '97 you use will depend on how much modifying you want to do.

Back