2nd Blower Motor Resistor burnt out... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd Blower Motor Resistor burnt out...

scottswierenga

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 4dr.
Just maybe 2-3 weeks after the replacement, the brand new resistor blew again and now I'm back to only Hi on the selector for air flow.

I'm guessing there may be more leaf bits in there, but this time there was no hint of smoke, or the smell. Where do I go from here? I plan on working on this again in a few days and wanted to know any tips or tricks you might know to remove ALL the debris in the box around the (heater core?), or anything else you could shed light on for me.

I tried vacuuming out all the crap but this did me no good since the hose end of the shop vac was too big, so I duct taped on the Crevis Tool from the Dirt Devil. The smaller tip helped "a little", but not enough to write home about, it was still too darn big to have much effectiveness. I need something small and very flexible, but I don't think I could get effective suction from the sturdy plastic "water bottle bendy straw" I found in the kitchen ;)

How would YOU get this done???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I changed mine and also noticed the pack of leaves in the lower front corner just below the resistor pack. I just pulled as much out by hand as I could. I really wonder how the big leaf pieces got in there since the cowl openings are small holes???

Since I changed mine, I don't use the lowest setting. I figure that might help since the slowest fan speed means the resistor(s) are dissipating the most power.

I can understand not chancing a second "burn-out" by avoiding the use of the Low setting, but this Resistor should have lasted MUCH longer than it did.

Does anyone have any ideas of what else (other than leaves) might cause the second Resistor to have gone bad so quickly?

It could be a funky motor. I would pull it and you can see more of the system inside and feel how the bearings are in it too. Also check the wiring connector for any kind of discoloration on the resistor pack. If it looks funky you could have a high resistance connection there which is heating up and doing all kinds of weird stuff.

Back