• Register Today It's free!

2nd choice spark plug

Mickalo

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer w/4.0 4wd
gotta little situation with spark plugs for my 2010 4.0 sohc. Our local parts house is currently of of motorcraft oem lugs for my engine.
They do have a few others, ngk, bosch and
autolite plugs that fit. The next closest parts store is about and hour and half drive.

So if you had to choose on a second choice plug what would be just as good as the oem motorcrafts? That's what's been in it for a long time.
TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what I have read autolites are the same as motorcraft plugs.

yea that's what they suggested at the parts store may need to use those.

I only use NGK on my vehicles now. Bosch are best for German vehicles such as VW, Audi, etc.

No O'Reilly's close by? $2.79 each (Motorcraft SP412) seems reasonable. (RockAuto @ $2.17 ea. + shipping)

Browse ANY Ford forum, MOST agree Motorcraft FTW. Light coat of copper or nickel anti seize, good another 70K minimum.

I was able to get the motorcraft plugs that's what was always in it. Advance Auto gott'em real quick when I ordered them for $2.49ea.

^ Good move. Very seldom will you hear regrets using OEM Motorcraft spark plugs,
unless they're the two-piece design that break in the heads of early 4.6L 3V engines. LOL

Back