How to: - 2nd gen console removal | Page 5 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

How to: 2nd gen console removal

jross2651

Reaction score
City, State
Luverne, Al
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Ranger 4 door
Can anyone send me instructions on how to replace the console armrest on a 2011 Ford Ranger 4 dr Sport?

jammor

Reaction score
City, State
Conyers ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 explorer XLT
Center console removal

Tools required
1/4" ratchet
extensions (optional but very helpful)
8mm socket
10mm socket
magnetic pickup
wood block
hand sledge (or big hammer)

Step 1
Remove tissue box-coin holder

Step 2
remove the cubbyhole compartment by pulling up and toward you

Remove_cubbyhole.jpg

Step 3
remove cup holder piece

remove_cupholder.jpg

Step 4
Remove 2-8mm bolts
loosen the 10mm connector retaining bolt.
Disconnect this connector and route up under the heater controls to move it out of the way temporarily.

Console_dash_bolts.jpg

Step 5
Remove 2-8mm bolts in the console. These are threaded into the transmission hump

hump_bolts.jpg

Step 6
use a wood block against the metal bracket, and hit hard with a hammer toward rear until the console moves back about 2 inches. Note how the rear legs ( or feet ) go under metal tabs in the hump for re assembly

Spot_to_hit.jpg

To help a stubborn one get out-
If you look real close--at the bottom edge of the console toward the rear is a small cut out--raised edges area. You can get a screwdriver up in there and press upwards on the release tabs, then push the console back toward rear of truck.

# View attachment 195123

Installation is reverse of removal.

For a more in depth procedure--go here for seat and interior panel removal. This will help you deal with the carpet without cutting it.
Great explanation. Also on my '96 bank one sensor 1 I accessed the O2 sensor with the SHORTEST O2 socket in my kit (22 mm I think- bought from Advance Auto and only had three O2 sensor socket HOWEVER the longest one restricted me from being able to attach my ratcheting breaker bar). I removed the sensor from under the truck.
I DID take J's advice and removed the center console to access the electrical connection. There was no other way for me because a few years ago I zip-tied the connector high up on top of the bell housing to keep the wire off the exhaust pipe (because I didn't know what I was doing- I should have used the little Christmas tree sensor holder and plugged it back where it belonged. Soooooo if you have a second gen that has not been molested you probably could do the whole thing from under the truck. Good luck. Thank to J.