2nd Gen "Custom" Anti Sway Bar Links, Cheap! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd Gen "Custom" Anti Sway Bar Links, Cheap!

After I installed my used Superlift, I needed front sway bar links. None were available locally, and the Superlift parts were expensive. My stockers were rusted solid, I had to hacksaw them off, so I had no choice but to make some.

Parts List:

2 pieces appropriate length of 3/8" galvanized steel pipe
2 pieces 3/8" All thread
2 nylon lock nuts, 3/8"
4 standard nuts 3/8"
1 Energy Suspension's Sway Bar End Link Set (http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/endl.html)

This is really simple-

With your suspension loaded, level your sway bar, measure the distance between the hole in the lower control arm and the end of the sway bar. Take that measurement, subtract 2" from that length. Cut the 3/8" pipe to that length.

Take your original measurement, add ~5", cut the all thread to that length.

I bought 3' of all thread, and cut it in half.

I put the nylon locknut on top, a washer then a bushing. Then through the sway bar, bushing, washer, pipe, washer, bushing, LCA, bushing, washer and finally the two nuts, jam them against each other.

It should look like this:

superliftinstall_015_Small_.jpg

superliftinstall_018_Small_.jpg

superliftinstall_014_Small_.jpg

Once you have it all like you want it, hacksaw the all thread off close to the nuts to keep it from snagging on things.

I was originally a little apprehensive about the all thread holding up, its grade 2 after all. But, it has held up for over a year now, no problems.

This also makes a great quick disconnect setup- two 1/2" wrenches and a few minutes and you can remove these.

Last edited by a moderator:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That will work!! :thumbsup:

Yep, did the same thing on mine this spring. After buying the superlift part for ~$60 a piece and then having them wear out in less then a year (there is a ball joint like thing at one end, it got play in it and the front end started clunking everytime I hit a bump) I went to the hardware store and bought some all thread. Like you, I was worried about 3/8" holding up so I bought 1/2" all thread instead. Then I went to Autozone, bought a poly sway bar bushing kit and drilled out the bushing and washers to 1/2". Instead of using a length of pipe I just thread nuts on the all thread down to where they should be and tack welded them in place.

I've drove it over 10000 miles like this and everything is still holding up fine. I have maybe $15 in both links. If the bushings ever wear out all I need is a $10 bushing kit from Autozone and a 1/2" drill bit. Beats $120 for the Superlift parts!

is there a reason for having the pipe there?

The pipe carries the "load" between the sway bar and LCA, without it, the all thread would buckle.

The superlift piece is junk you have to use red grease if you want it to not rattel for more than a day after you grease it. Im looking into building some cheap disconnects soon maybe ill do a how to while im at it. i usuall get caught up in my project and forget the pics:D

How would one go about making a Quick disconnect using the All Thread and steel piping?

id like to c a quick disconnect like ive see for the rear for this

How would one go about making a Quick disconnect using the All Thread and steel piping?

You would have to cut the all-thread in half, and then secure it in the steel pipe iwth a pin that could be removed easily. I do not know if you can get a strong enough pin that is still small enough to fit through a hole in the all thread and pipe though...

Great writeup! I made these today and they made a world of difference on my lifted 04 Eddie Bauer!

After two weeks of having my superlift installed I decided to make these endlinks, due to a clanking and banging sound from underneath. I went with the 1/2 inch thread all and pipe because home depot did not have any 3/8 pipe.

I gotta tell you guys with the superlift, these new endlinks are awesome and cheap.

Good job MountaineerGreen! this thread should be a sticky!

Thankfully I found this thread after days of searching for Superlift replacement links. I've had the same clunking sound from day 1 when I got the lift on. Was never able to figure out what the sound was from, one mechanic thought it was bad ball joints & another thought it was from the torsion bars not having a having enough load on them due to the lift. Going to make the home depot links but going to use Moog bushings (bought the end link kit but only using the bushings from it, still cheaper than the Eng Susp bushings and they're blue so they'll match the other Moog bushings, ball joints.lol) Thanx for the post MountaineerGreen & the others who added to it:chug:

Difference is the blue Moog "Problem Solver" grommets/bushings are soft thermopalstic rubber.
Energy Suspension and Prothane, among others, are much tougher graphite treated polyurethane. For added durability upgrade to the larger ES 9.8103G 7/16" ID (1.25" OD) full size truck bushings. The lower profile and much smaller 3/8" ID 9.8105R red bushings are shown in the fourth pic.

www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=9.8103

[url=https://imgur.com/SVxQelk] [/url]

Last edited by a moderator:

Looking at building these for my 2004 X 4x4. Which kit should I go with and will any kit work or should I stick with the ones that fit my vehicle? Do I need to build ones for just the front or the front and rear. My X has a Rancho quicklift and I will me installing 1.5 in BTF spacers up front and 1.0 in BTF spacers in the rear. Great write up btw and thanks in advance for the help.

So I am assumming that the washers will come with the bushings? And Can I use these same bushings for the rear? Thanks Ronin8002.....you are an extremely huge asset to this forum!

It's amusing that this thread was rediscovered five years later with such interest. I was supprised back then that there was so little activity on this thread. I'm glad it's helping now. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i cant find 1/2 id bushings! i picked up sch 80 pipe and 1/2 all thread, now cant find the most crucial part!

Back