2nd Gen Gauge Cluster Info

BrianDye

I'll have another...
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
Its relatively easy to remove, only 3 harnesses to unplug, and snap the gear indicator out, (after you remove the radio bezel, the bezel around the gauges, and the lower steering column bezel.

There are 2 types of bulbs, the main gauge/odometer lights are "194" style. If you ever decide to go LED, use the "194 SMD LED", look it up on eBay you'll see it. Its the only LED that will get the light evenly distributed. There are 6 of these that light up the gauges and needles.

The dummy lights use a much smaller 1815 (correct me if im wrong) bulb. There are 18 of these. Your cluster may or may not use all of them, chances are, it wont.

Regular style bulbs tend to dim over time, and create alot of heat, where-as LED's create no heat, and last hundreds of times longer than standard bulbs, and are always as bright as the day you installed them.

There are only 3 wire harnesses that connect to the back of the cluster.

SANY0228.jpg

194 Bulb in the socket:
SANY0225.jpg

1815 Bulb in the socket:
SANY0226.jpg

Both bulbs compared to a penny, 1815-(left) 195-(right)
SANY0227.jpg

The black plastic pieces are the sockets for the 194 bulbs, for the gauges, and odometer. They will say "ILL" next to them (for illumination)
SANY0229.jpg

The dummy lights will have their labels next to them too, kind of small and hard to see
SANY0230.jpg

Black: 1815 Dummy lights (x18)
Red: 194 Gauge lights (x6)
Blue: 3 Wire harness locations
SANY0228-1.jpg

Hope this can help someone if they have any questions sometime.
:D

(This is my gauge cluster from my 1995 XLT)

The little guys are actually #74 or #37. I've seen both in 2nd gens but the #37's seem more common (they're the same size but the #74's are brighter). The #1815 that you are talking about are bayonet base bulbs - everything in the Explorers (at least 2nd gens) is wedge base.

Ahhh I see, I need a ton of those little bulbs that are on those stalk looking things, like behind the 4x4 switch, wiper switch, light switch, and the rear climate controls and radio controls.

Can I just buy those bulbs or do I need the whole stalk thing?

Back